Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Collinite questions and official answer

davidc- I almost always apply 476S via machine, no problems at all. And FWIW, I use IUDJ as a drying aid, never messd with the Collinite.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    davidc- I almost always apply 476S via machine, no problems at all. And FWIW, I use IUDJ as a drying aid, never messd with the Collinite.
    Thanks, I am thinking of using a putty Knife to get the wax from the can and spread on the 5.5 B&S pad. Better ideas ?. I am all ears. Rookie at this part.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone tried 840 cleaner ?. Directions say not for dark clearcoat and I do not have that problem. $8.99 for 16oz is a good price.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

davidc- Short version is *DO NOT* use that 840. I like Collinite stuff (and the employees there that I`ve spoken with), but, uhm...just don`t go that route.

Whatever you use to get the paste wax on the pad, you should then rub it in a bit to get it distributed evenly and then (here`s the real important part) try to scrape as much wax back *out of* the pad as you can, get rid of the excess and things will go better. The pad will have more wax in/on it than you`d think. When you`re finished, run really hot water over the pad and see how much wax you can squeeze out of it- that is excess product that isn`t just wasted, it can also make the job tougher (especially getting a nice streak-free outcome). That`s the big challenge with machine-application of paste waxes IME, trying to avoid using too much.

Post Thanks / Like

OK no 840, that`s a shame. I can imagine a little learning curve with paste by machine, Thanks for the tips.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Just think "thin and uniform" and it oughta go fine.
    Likes RPPM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davidc View Post
    Thanks, I am thinking of using a putty Knife to get the wax from the can and spread on the 5.5 B&S pad. Better ideas ?. I am all ears. Rookie at this part.
    Dave
    I often use 476 and 915 by machine and keep an old credit card on my detailing cart as a spreader. You can spread it super thin on the pad without any chance of damage to the pad. Don`t attempt to prime the entire pad surface, or it will take forever to spread it thin enough on the paint. Also, if you have any 4" pads, they`ll fit inside the 476 can just fine.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jack View Post
    I often use 476 and 915 by machine and keep an old credit card on my detailing cart as a spreader. .. Also, if you have any 4" pads, they`ll fit inside the 476 can just fine.

Bill
    Yeah, I like using a plastic razor blade, but don`t store it inside the can with the wax, some waxes (can`t remember if Collinite is one of `em) will actually mess up the plastic.

And yeah#2, 4" pads are convenient for this.

Post Thanks / Like

Colinite is awesome! Old school, value based awesome performance.

Post Thanks / Like

Did a little test on the hood of the Van today. I applied 476 by hand just to get a feel for paste since it has been 30 years since the last time I remember using that style. Went on fine and mostly the same for removal. There were a few spots where extra effort was required probably to thick in those parts. Hopefully the DA will fix that problem and I will find out tomorrow. I did not notice any increase in gloss compared to 845 on that Desert Sand color but that is ok since I am looking for durability.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Did the complete van today, easy on and off. I used a yellow sponge applicator in the tin then wiped it on a B&S red pad, perfect application. Start to finish about 2 hours taking my time. Hopefully I am set for Arizona`s brutal summers with objects that have tires and registrations. I will have to ask Collinite if 845 is the same thing as 925 and 476 the same as 885. They look and smell the same but what is the difference ?. Anything added for Gel-Coat ?.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

davidc- I`d get another coat on there after the next wash, and then keep an eye on things so you can refresh it before it becomes critical.

Does anybody else here use the Collinite *paste* on black plastic/trim? NO, I`m not recommending people try it "don`t try this at home, kids!", but I do it on some vehicles, have since forever. I know lots of people use 845 on such surfaces, but the paste....? Again, I`m not encouraging anybody to go out and try it lest it go sideways something awful.

Post Thanks / Like

So far I have 3 coats of 845 and 1 coat of 476. Think another coat is still needed ?. It is going into the 100`s next week. I put a email into Collinite questioning 845,925.476.885. Should be interesting.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davidc View Post
    So far I have 3 coats of 845 and 1 coat of 476. Think another coat is still needed ?
    Yes. I would if I were doing it, actually I *do* layer the 476S even when I put it over 845. I want to rely on the paste, not the underlying 845.

Post Thanks / Like

Understood on the paste side. Suppose to rain tonight if not tomorrow it will have to wait for next weekend. Thanks for the tips. The fragrance of this is getting addictive.

Dave

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information