Post Thanks / Like

Detailing recommendations at Porsche club event

Morning all, I attended a PCA concourse preparation event last week at a well know/respected shop last weekend and was truly shocked by some of the things that were said. Basically the shops opinions follow: microfibers are only good for cleaning wheels, soft baby blankets from hospitals are the best, P21s is there go to polish and only applied by hand. Swirls are removed by hand with it. All cars there are hand polished, really, DA`s are not used. And the big one, clay is not used, I was told that they had seen cars where the owner removed all the clear from a door using it, hard to imagine. I sleep on these concepts all week and just can`t get on board with it, this shop is terrific and shows cars nationally, "how could they be so wrong or out of touch?"

burns

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing recommendations at Porsche club event

There`s lots of ways to skin a cat. Not everyone subscribes to autopian methods and are still able to get good results. Some of that seems like bad practices, others just not best practice.

Curious about the car with no clear on the door, that is counter intuitive.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 911 and used to be a hand-polish only guy. Now I`m of the mindset that if you don`t use a DA, you probably don`t know how it actually works. Perhaps the hand-polish crowd still just thinks Machine=Rotary.

My 911 was never truly defect free (I bought it used, very used) until I bought and learned a DA.

The clay comment is rubbish. What clay? What method?

The microfiber comment, meh, someone making that comment hasn`t used good Korean microfiber.

Larry at Ammo uses clay, microfiber, and a DA, has devoted his life to this art, AND keeps a pristine Porsche 964 (911).

Post Thanks / Like

pdsterns- Welcome to Autopia.

I have tons of respect for the PCA Concours circuit. AFAIK, the Porsche factory entry has never won National First even though they start with a new car! That said....

I find it really disappointing that the shop told you that nonsense. And that`s what it is-nonsense. And yeah, I`ve had five (or was it six? Forget...) Porsches starting back in the days of single-stage paint.

Heh heh..."hospital blankets" softer than Microfibers? I`d like to hear them explain their reasoning to a Textile authority.
    Likes ihaveacamaro liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Guys, it seems you are as shocked as I was, I had to bite my lip and not ask them about ONR especially after clay shocker. They showed some touch up work using an artists brush and I mentioned the small brushes from Griot`s and they seemed unaware of them but the people in the crowd showed genuine interest in them. I was tempted to buy some P21S they had on sale but decided not to, I really don`t think it had the guts to take swirls out of clear.

burns

Post Thanks / Like

That advice (IMHO) is as solid as windex and pledge for the corvette people
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah... Not gonna say what they do is flat out wrong, if it works for them then whatever. Not gonna see me hitting up a hospital for baby blankets, or putting down my polishers anytime soon. And no clay?? I question how they remove contaminants then. Because you DONT just grind them into your paint. Even by hand

Post Thanks / Like

Its nice to know the misinformation channel is alive and well.

I guess that is a good thing for the pro`s.

Not too many guys have the chops for hand polishing. It is not impossible but impossible for most, at least on any type of sizable area that is.

I have hand polished small areas my 3" GG cant get to, but it was not fun, nor would I be up for doing a whole hood that way.

To each there own, have fun and enjoy your time polishing.

Thread Information