Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Griots clay any good?

I saw Griots clay at Advance Auto. At $20, and if it`s good, I`m thinking its silly to buy the Meg`s kit at $20 and end up with less clay, a towel for jambs, and detailer that I don`t use.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griots clay any good?

Not my first choice.
    Thanks WaxAddict thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

You can get a clay magic bar for about $10 at your local auto parts store. I use that with a lot of success.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

It`s not bad just very mild.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses. Mild is good for my garage-kept. The one outside needs a brick.
    I haven`t seen Clay Magic at the stores.

Speaking of clay, I like clay that isn`t too sticky/tacky. Mothers, unfortunately, is such. Mothers "looks" a lot like the Griots. Hmmm

Post Thanks / Like

I haven`t used the Mother`s in a long time, I recall that was a bar, where the Griot`s is a ball (at least the Griot`s I have that I got a long time ago). I`m trying to use up the Griot`s and it`s a sticky smeary mess. I wear gloves with it.

You used to be able to get Clay Magic at Advance, looks like it`s only online now.

Post Thanks / Like

The newer Griots clay is a bar. It looks like that picture where the bar looks like it`s melting over the edge of the pot that it comes in. It`s in the pot, wrapped in plastic, shaped in a wide U.

Post Thanks / Like

None of the GG clay I`ve used was as mild as Sonus SFX, which is my choice for the vast majority of my claying.

GG clay has always been OK IMO, very similar to Mother`s.

For something slightly more aggressive than the Sonus, I prefer the Ricardo/Smart clay.

But again, nothing *wrong* with the Griot`s IMO. I DO *NOT* advocate using SpeedShine as a clay lube though, too "waxy" for my taste, seems to compromise the clay`s effectiveness.

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen the clay magic bar at o`reilly and pep boys. It`s a blue bar that comes individually wrapped in a yellow package that Simoniz and the clay magic logo on the front.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    None of the GG clay I`ve used was as mild as Sonus SFX, which is my choice for the vast majority of my claying.

GG clay has always been OK IMO, very similar to Mother`s.

For something slightly more aggressive than the Sonus, I prefer the Ricardo/Smart clay.

But again, nothing *wrong* with the Griot`s IMO. I DO *NOT* advocate using SpeedShine as a clay lube though, too "waxy" for my taste, seems to compromise the clay`s effectiveness.
    Off Topic, but while I was there looking at the clay, I bought some SpeedShine, and was going to use it as clay lube today, but reached for Spray & Wipe instead. Maybe a good thing I did!

Post Thanks / Like

I like Griot`s clay alot BUT now that I tried a clay towel I want one of those!
    I have Blackfire polyclay and Griots which I will trade!

Post Thanks / Like

WaxAddict- I used to really like the SpeedShine as a Drying Aid-type QD on waxes (not sealants)...for years I kept gallons of it on hand so it`s not like I hate the stuff. But I think it`s better that you reached for the S&W, hope that worked out OK.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    WaxAddict- I used to really like the SpeedShine as a Drying Aid-type QD on waxes (not sealants)...for years I kept gallons of it on hand so it`s not like I hate the stuff. But I think it`s better that you reached for the S&W, hope that worked out OK.
    I`m a QD Addict, and I like the shape of the GG SS bottle. Wide and round so it dosnt tip over like my Sonus, Megs, and other QDs with that dang skinny bottle,. Obviously it`s not deal-breaker if someone makes an excellent product with that thin design, but still. SS is also a decent value.

Back on the clay subject, I learned this weekend that I can`t keep using mild clay for every job. I didn`t decontaminate a bumper properly and got some bad tick marks as punishment. Learn by doing I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post
    I`m a QD Addict, and I like the shape of the GG SS bottle..
    Heh heh, yeah...I`m a recovered QD Addict myself And I sure won`t argue about those GG bottles, even bought some empty ones from them at one point (pricey IIRC). Caveat: they can get fragile in time, so don`t drop them

Back on the clay subject, I learned this weekend that I can`t keep using mild clay for every job. I didn`t decontaminate a bumper properly and got some bad tick marks as punishment. Learn by doing I guess.
    OK, you lost me there! How did you mess up the bumper cover by using the mild clay? What were you dealing with?

Post Thanks / Like

bad tick marks? what the heck is that? Pics?

I`ve tried the ClayMagic yesterday. I use hand clay to do a "final" wipe after using the Nanoskin on a DA. I liked the ClayMagic in that it wasn`t overly aggressive, and it`s super cheap (From Amazon). I did favor the Smartwax (blue) clay, as it bends easily, is mild, and and. Yeah. That`s it.

I`ve also tried Chemical Guys yellow and black clay. The black one...WHOA. it tore the finger off my black nitrile glove! Very stick stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information