Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Simplified my life. Is a small bottle of Collinite 845 available anywhere?

Hello. Hope everyone is doing great. I haven`t posted here in so long that Autopia needed me to update my password when I tried to log in.

I used to be a product-crazy detailer, as I am sure you all can relate to. As a result, I accumulated such a vast array of products since 2006 that I never used all of them (many no more than once). Last spring, I threw away approx. $300 worth of "stuff" with a heavy heart. All of it was well past its prime and is now unnecessarily rotting in a landfill somewhere. I should have given it all away while it was still usable but my selfishness and greed convinced me that I will get to use it all someday. I have since vowed to never make that mistake again and start on the right foot to begin with.

To that end, my detailing arsenal is very simple and old school; just the Meguiars polish twins along with M26 liquid, M7 and 2-years-old small bottles of OCW and AW. It will get further reduced once some of those run out and aren`t replenished.

I want to use Collinite 845 as a sealant twice a year on the two cars in my household. Both are garaged indoors and well taken care of. Though I`ve never used 845, I have read about how very thin each application needs to be. So I know the full 16 oz bottle will be way too big for me. I want a bottle a quarter that size or less (about 4 oz.) to have any hope of using it all. I have looked around but cannot find any size other than 16 oz. I looked at the swap meet sub-forum here as well but don`t really have anything of value to offer in return and straight purchases between members are prohibited.

I would appreciate any ideas you may have.
    Being p!ssed off is better than being p!ssed on.
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Simplified my life. Is a small bottle of Collinite 845 available anywhere?

Mani, I`ve only seen one size. However, check the Collinite website to see if they have any variations on that standard bottle..

Post Thanks / Like

I do not think you will find a smaller size other than the 16-oz. bottle sold over-the-counter. You will not find it at Harbor Freight anymore, either, like it was , what, about 5 years ago for about $10.00.

You may find it at boat or marine dealers sold as 925 Fiberglass Wax, the equivalent- twin to 845. It`s about $18.00 to $20.00 per bottle (prices may vary per dealer). It`s not bad wax, but you will need to remember two things if you plan to buy and use it:
    1) Use a screw driver shaft to stir it up initially because it "separates" and it`s thick like a paste in the bottle. Then shake the livin` daylights out of it while making sure to position your thumb on the cap to prevent the cap from coming off during vigorous shaking. (Been there, done that experience because the cap, while child-proof, does not always secure properly. Not pretty)
    2) 845, to me, is a wax-on-wax-off (WOWO) application. Some leave it on for maybe 5-10 minutes to cure. I would not do that, especially if the ambient temperatures are above 60°F
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Mani, for 16oz. @ $17 just buy it. I`ve had mine for 3 years and no issues. It`s about half gone. If you feel it does go bad at some point, it`s a small investment.

As far as use, you will want to warm it up in the sun or hot water in the sink before each use. This will get it to the proper consistency. Definitely do hold on to the cap when you shake it unless you want any walls in the proximity to be protected from the elements (like my kitchen walls and windows...doh!). personally, after that incident, I put it in a clean top squeeze bottle, but again, always hold the top when you shake.

If you apply it thin as you are supposed to, you will be okay leaving it on for 45 minutes like I do. wipes off effortless except those spots where I got it on too thick.

Lastly, read this thread: Collinite #845: The Definitive How-To Guide For This Legendary Wax - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum
    Likes Ronkh, TumbleWeed liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

All good responses, thank you. I know it is pretty inexpensive but at the rate I will need to use it, a lot of the bottle will invariably end up getting wasted years down the road. My concern is over waste, not the cost. One idea is to buy the bottle and give 3/4 to someone here, but then again, everyone here seems to have a collection of products just as I used to, so they will probably have to throw away some or all of it eventually.

I have written to Collinite; will see what they say. Great idea on that.

Thanks for the tips as well. I am looking forward to it!

Post Thanks / Like

You could also post a "Want to Buy". I`m sure someone has some they could cut loose. I looked at my aged bottle and it`s no longer viable.
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like

Split a bottle with a neighbor or other friend. I would offer you 4oz of mine but who knows what that would cost to ship. I believe it`s flammable so can`t ship USPS.

Post Thanks / Like

You could try posting a thread to see if anyone in your area on this forum might want to split a bottle?

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve got about a half a bottle of 845 I can send you ……all you have to do is pay for the shipping
    15` M6 GT w/ iELOOP
    Tint 5%
    De-badged
    Splash Guards
    Interior 5k LED`s
    Husky Floor Liners
    Spline Drive Lugs & Wheel Lock Kit

Post Thanks / Like

Just sent you PM. THANK YOU!

Post Thanks / Like

Shipping was only $7....sooooo, consider this a late Xmas gift.

Included some samples of other stuff as well.

Have fun bro ..

®ick~
    15` M6 GT w/ iELOOP
    Tint 5%
    De-badged
    Splash Guards
    Interior 5k LED`s
    Husky Floor Liners
    Likes ShawnF350 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Also, it was more like 3/4 of a bottle of collinite #845....and its in a Meguiars dispenser bottle with pop top lid.
    15` M6 GT w/ iELOOP
    Tint 5%
    De-badged
    Splash Guards
    Interior 5k LED`s
    Husky Floor Liners

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, and the absolute best way to use #845, is place that bottle in a pot of hot water for about 5 minutes and then shake well.

It will no longer be a wax but rather more like a liquid.

A little bit goes a loooooooong way.

Trust me!
    15` M6 GT w/ iELOOP
    Tint 5%
    De-badged
    Splash Guards
    Interior 5k LED`s
    Husky Floor Liners

Post Thanks / Like

Rick, thank you x 1,000,000 my friend! This is much too generous. I will send twice the amount to a charity of your choice, just PM me the name. Thanks again!
    Likes TumbleWeed liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

You don`t owe me (or anyone) a thing……. don`t trip.

Autopia has taken care of me in the past on more then a few occasions ….so I have NO problems paying it forward.

Peace and take care~
    15` M6 GT w/ iELOOP
    Tint 5%
    De-badged
    Splash Guards
    Interior 5k LED`s
    Husky Floor Liners
    Likes wdmaccord liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information