Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Not very much info on the DG website and I had questions regarding DG`s new coating so I sent an email to Dr. Bailey one of the owners of DG.

`

The product is actually named NanoGlass Ceramic Coating (NGCC)--Envirosheild is the name of the kit that includes the coating, Squeaky Clean, applicators and a towel.

`

Hope this helps clear up questions any of you may have.

`

Dr. B`s responses to my questions begin with an *:

`

`

<span>Does NGCC add any extra hardness to the existing clear coat to provide scratch resistance?

*NGCC will add hardness and scratch resistance.

`

After polishing is it OK to use something other than Squeaky Clean to remove polishing oils such as IPA, Carpro Eraser etc?

*Prior to applying NGCC, you could clean the surface with IPA. I am not familiar with Carpro Erasier.

`

While applying NGCC how long do you have to remove high spots (with the MF towel) before the product has cured too much to allow this?

*High spots should be buffed quickly before curing.

`

What is the initial cure time of NGCC? (To keep the vehicle out of rain as an example)

*It is best to wait 24 hours for complete curing.

`

What is the extended time for the NGCC to reach full hardness?

*Same amount of time for hardness, 24 hours.

`

Can NGCC be layered on itself? If so are there any advantages to this? How soon can it be layered on itself? If so, how long after application can it be layered?

*NGCC can be layered after 24 hours for the first coat to cure.

`

Approximately how much of the 4 oz of NGCC should be used for the proper application to say an average mid-sized sedan?

*It should only require approx. 2oz for an average car. A little goes a long way and it is best to apply a thin coat.

`

Can NGCC be topped with other waxes or sealants? If so, how soon?

*NGCC should not be topped with any wax or sealant.

`

Can and should NGCC be topped with spray on sealants (such as AquaWax) to extend it`s life?

*It is not necessary to top with Aquawax. If you do I would wait at least three months.

`

As part of maintenance can the coating be clayed without damaging the coating?

*We do not recommend claying which will damage the coating.

`

Once opened what is the shelf life of the coating remaing in the bottle?

*Shelf life after opening should be at least one year.

`

Can the applicator pads be cleaned after use so that they can be reused for additional applications? If so what should be used to clean them?

*You could clean the applicator pads with IPA.

`

A final comment from Dr Bailey.

*This coating is formulated to be used as a final protection, any other coatings over it are not recommended.

`

EDIT:` Additional info from Dr B---

Since you recommend not topping the coating with anything, including AquaWax, is it OK to wash with rinseless washes like Duragloss 931/932 or Optimum No Rinse or should it be washed with traditional car wash soap like 901/902?

*You can use either of the no rinse products , hopefully ours.
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pwaug

`

A final comment from Dr Bailey.

*This coating is formulated to be used as a final protection, any other coatings over it are not recommended.

`

^^^``This is a key learning.` Avi (CarPro) discusses the same.` Best not to use QD sprays, etc.` Weekly shampoo is to be selected with care and products that leave things behind are to be avoided meaning one should use a "body shop safe" product.

`

Thanks for capturing this info, PW !` Good stuff.
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like

Pwaug-

`

Thanks for the info. `Seems to be a fairly straight forward coating product... surprised by the `added scratch resistance` as I figured it to be more of a protection from elements only type coating.

`

-Gabe
    Former Pro, Now Enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    You "gotta top my coatings" guys must be crying, as well as the AW lovers. This product is about to blow people`s conventional minds.

Post Thanks / Like

<span style="color:#008000;">Great info. `Thanks for taking the time to ask the questions.

`

`

<span style="color:#008000;">I agree that "topping" a coating with a wax is silly. `

Post Thanks / Like

Would it be better (for a more even coat) to apply NGCC via PC than with the MF appl`s?

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve said it at least a hundred times - stuff like this is great for some people but for a hobbyist and detailing enthusiast it ruins everything. `I appreciate the technology and enhanced performance but it takes all the fun out of rubbing on my paint and caring for my car. `I am retired and I have time and money to spend on lots of different products and I love to experiment with things associated with cars and detailing. `I may experiment with this too just to say I tried but I really don`t think products like this are for me, no matter how well they perform.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pwaug

`

Can NGCC be topped with other waxes or sealants? If so, how soon?

*NGCC should not be topped with any wax or sealant.

`

Can and should NGCC be topped with spray on sealants (such as AquaWax) to extend it`s life?

*It is not necessary to top with Aquawax. If you do I would wait at least three months.

`

As part of maintenance can the coating be clayed without damaging the coating?

*We do not recommend claying which will damage the coating.

`

`

`

Anyone find this very strange?`
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Dr Bailey is the first to my knowledge to come right out and say that no, his coating product is not designed to be topped with anything...even his own legendary AW product. I`m beginning to admire this guy in day when other coating chemists try to please everybody by saying sure, our coating can be topped...go ahead.
    This guy says no..its not only unnecessary but not designed for that. I just ordered some as a result.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani

Anyone find this very strange?`

Not so much the idea of not topping, but was surprised about the response to claying, but feel I don`t want to "wear out my welcome" by asking too many questions.` Perhaps he knows something we don`t--I wonder if chemical decon is all that is needed.
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post Thanks / Like
    If you guys recall back wjen opticoat was launched Dr. G said up and down that opticoat should not be topped. Then he said it could bot be topped since "nothing sticks to opticoat". Lately it seems the topping issue is no longer.

I wanna top the top of the top of my lsp, man!
    Owner and President
    AutoLavish LLC
    Local to Michigan, Serving Nationwide

Post Thanks / Like
    Obviously if anybody wants to apply something over a coating knock yourself out. At that point you are taking away the reason you spent all that time surgically preparing the paint for the coating and the money spent on its obvious water and dirt repelling benefits. In fact in my testing with topping coatings with my own stash of waxes and sealants, the coating actually was breaking down faster than what was advertised and I have to conclude within reason that you don`t want to top a coating with anything that will chemically react negatively with it. Because these designers can`t possibly test every combination of toppings of course they have to say at some point go ahead and top it. They already have your money and would be more than happy to sell you lots more. I`m only going by my experiences with them on my car and I agree that he is right on and knows his products probably better than anybody reading this

Post Thanks / Like

Next for coatings is to make the prep and application more fool proof, truely making wax and sealants obsolete.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow85

Next for coatings is to make the prep and application more fool proof, truly making wax and sealants obsolete.

`

I`d have to say that`s what Duragloss has done with this kit based upon my use last weekend.` And it is`easy to use.

`

I think the only real gotcha, assuming you can follow their directions, is going to be Joe Average`s inability to perfect the finish on the car.` That`s something that takes years of practice and isn`t going to be achieved by hand.` However, in this case, less than perfect is going to satisfy a lot of consumers at a $38 price point.
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shortspark

I`ve said it at least a hundred times - stuff like this is great for some people but for a hobbyist and detailing enthusiast it ruins everything. `I appreciate the technology and enhanced performance but it takes all the fun out of rubbing on my paint and caring for my car. `I am retired and I have time and money to spend on lots of different products and I love to experiment with things associated with cars and detailing. `I may experiment with this too just to say I tried but I really don`t think products like this are for me, no matter how well they perform.

Then dont use it and continue to use your wax.` There are a lot of people who are too busy (more than the amount of people who like to wax every month) to deal with their car care maintenance.` Coatings satisfy those needs!

`

Topping a coating is unnecessary, but easy to do with a spray wax, a spray coating.` I used Gtechnique liquid crystal the other day...stupid easy to use!!!!` Worked a little tricky on a wet 22PLE coated car, but I used it on 4 other cars - two with no coating and two with coatings.` All were dry and the product worked effortlessly!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information