Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I live in an apt complex with no access to a hose. Since my parking space faces busy street, it picks up dust fairly fast.

Forum posts say Optimum No Rinse can be used as QD at 1 to 15 dilution (6.25%, or 8oz diluted to one gallon). Same is also posted on Optimum`s official forum. The jug of v3 I bought only mentions dilution for Clay Lube and no rinse wash and there are some posts on Auto Geek reporting less than satisfactory result with it. If it`s not on the bottle, my impression is that they`re no longer officially endorsing it. Any thought on this?

So, now I`m looking at Optimum Instant Detailer and Opti-Clean. The former is advertised as "instant detailer" and latter as waterless wash, but whats the difference? Aren`t they practically the same thing?

My plan is to use ONR when the car is dirty enough to have caked on dirt, but I want to use spray-and-wipe method for more routine cleaning so i can just keep a supply of clean MF towels and a spray bottle in my car.

Finally, I learned about the 3D "waterless car wash" after registering here. The product prescribes "spray and wipe" method. How does this product fare compared to one of those three optimum products for doing spray-and-wipe car wash?

Post Thanks / Like
    Opticlean or 3D Waterless is probably your best bet for the wipedowns you are looking to do. However, that doesn`t come without its risks. Both are fine for light dustings but if you get a larger chunk of sand or something similar, its game over. The big advantage to ONR is the amount of water, it provides a lot more cushion for those sorts of things, especially if you presoak. I also find that I can do an ONR wash faster than either of the waterless products.

I have used both 3D Waterless and Opticlean, I find Opticlean leaves an annoying amount of stuff behind, especially on windows, but it does seem to offer a bit more lubrication.

OID is fine for garage dust type wipedowns, I would not use it on a car that has been subjected to real dirt.

Post Thanks / Like
    If ONR can be made to 8oz/gal concentration as QD and there`s OID and OC, it seems like there are three overlapping products. It makes me wonder how these products differ in a way that it can`t be compensated by changing the mixing ratios.

People on this board speaks very favorably of ONR used as no rinse wash, but I see that Optimum makes traditional wash as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Preface: I have only used ONR V2 but I have been very happy with it so my comments should still hold true...

You are correct in that the 3 products do have some overlapping areas, but each product performs much better in a specific niche than the other two. In my experience:

- OID leaves the best finish in terms of appearance and has the lowest cleaning power - Although not scientifically proven by myself, it probably has a higher percentage of gloss-enhancing ingredients.

- Opti-Clean has great lubricity (i like it better than Poorboy`s Spray and Wipe), good cleaning power, and is most likely targeted to those individuals that do not have access to a bucket and water. It does leave a film on windows if allowed to dry or if not wiped thoroughly.

- ONR is a great performing rinseless option and is way more cost effective than Opti-clean. Of course, you need access to a bucket and water. I have only used V2 so this may have changed with the recent V3 reformulation, but ONR QD does not match up well with the better QD`s out there. It "works" but final appearance and paint slickness are average at best.

Post Thanks / Like
    Since you have V3 of ONR, do the 8oz to 1 gallon dilution with DeIonized water and try it out on a clean panel. If it streaks, add more water to the mixture. When I had my V3 of ONR mixed a little too strong it did leave streaks, when I toned it down, it was perfect. Same with OID, but both needed to be wiped off and then buffed dry. I am personally happy with the shine and slickness V3 leaves when used as a QD, although it is not the best, it works great as a drying aid and does add extra gloss/slickness.

Post Thanks / Like
    I want something to keep around in my car.. so if I drive around on gravel road and my road is completely full of dry, but abrasive dust I want to be able to just wipe it off.

Anyone tried adding ONR to windshield washer fluid in an effort to reduce scratches to glass while using washer fluid?

Post Thanks / Like
    If you drive down a gravel road, I`d ONR wash.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I use ONR just as a rinse less wash. I thought about using it as a diluted OD but there are too many good products dedicated to that task. I use ONR when the car is dusty and has little road grime but that is as far as it goes. Anything dirtier gets a shampoo. For your needs, I think the best product dollar for dollar is still PoorBoys Spray and Wash. It adds nothing but takes nothing away from the finish except dust and minor dirt. I use Duragloss products a lot so after a wipe down of the PoorBoys, I give it an additional coating of the Duragloss Fast Clean And Shine, which is like Spray and Wash but on steroids and adds to the finish. You can use Fast Clean And Shine on any LSP but it works especially well on Duragloss products such as 105 where it bonds to the polish for a tad more protection as well as gloss.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well... I can finally speak.

I purchased one of each from detailedimage.com ONR(v3, 2012 formula), OID and Opti-Clean. LOL

ONR used as wash: good.

OID.. I`m pleased with.

ONR at 6 1/4% (8oz/gal)... MF towel gets "caught" on the car, unfolds itself.. very draggy. Not pleased.

Opti-Clean.. I`ll try soon

Post Thanks / Like
    You CAN, but at the expense of damaging the paint. If your paint is in good shape and properly protected, ( I don`t mean a spray wax) you should pressure wash it or foam it and use something like HD FREE to clean.

Reading your posts, you need a real sealant or wax on your car.

Quote Originally Posted by Evaporator
    I want something to keep around in my car.. so if I drive around on gravel road and my road is completely full of dry, but abrasive dust I want to be able to just wipe it off.

Anyone tried adding ONR to windshield washer fluid in an effort to reduce scratches to glass while using washer fluid?

Post Thanks / Like
    Well... I can finally speak.

I purchased one of each from detailedimage.com ONR, OID and Opti-Clean. LOL

ONR used as wash: good.

OID.. I`m pleased with.

ONR at 6 1/4% (8oz/gal)... MF towel gets "caught" on the car, unfolds itself.. very draggy. Not pleased.

Opti-Clean.. I`ll try soon

I have ONR V2. I`m also not too impressed with it at QD strength (8oz. per gallon)...it works, but as you said it`s not very slick feeling in use. It also doesn`t flash-off very well. I now add 4 oz. of OCW to the mix. It works better, but it`s still not like using a dedicated QD. It is cost efficient, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Dekany
    You CAN, but at the expense of damaging the paint. If your paint is in good shape and properly protected, ( I don`t mean a spray wax) you should pressure wash it or foam it and use something like HD FREE to clean.

Reading your posts, you need a real sealant or wax on your car.

Can you qualify that statement? Many on detailing forums swear by Optimum products. The OCW is reputed to be as good as traditional wax and ONR is supposed to be good for all but the most extreme situation like completed mud caked 4x4s.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hate gravel roads.. My In Laws live on gravel.. Never fails I have to drive over there once the cars have been cleaned up.

Couple coats of Collinite# 476/845 combo or maybe Opti-Coat to protect the paint, then ONR at QD levels?

DG stuff is quality stuff. I like FC&S. Bought a gallon of that and I use Aquawax a lot. I need to try 3D Waterless someday.

Try HD POXY and HD FREE for cleanup.

Reeeko99, 13 Subaru Legacy Sport White, 15 Subaru Outback Premium Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by reeeko99
    I hate gravel roads.. My In Laws live on gravel.. Never fails I have to drive over there once the cars have been cleaned up.

Couple coats of Collinite# 476/845 combo or maybe Opti-Coat to protect the paint, then ONR at QD levels?

DG stuff is quality stuff. I like FC&S. Bought a gallon of that and I use Aquawax a lot. I need to try 3D Waterless someday.

Try HD POXY and HD FREE for cleanup.

They`re sorta common rural areas. Sometimes, they`re so long I have no choice but to drive at a moderate pace and at that point, I give up.

When its short, like less than half a mile, I tread carefully and crawl along at 5-10mph.. and I still manage to get my car covered in dust.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure thing - both you and I live in the NW. OCW doesn`t work for me either. May work in other parts of the country though. I used to like OCW to dry my cars with after washing it.

Now I use HD stuff, but you should also look for something that really is durable. Optimum IS very good, but obviously OCW isn`t as durable as claimed. Nothing wrong with that, it is easy to use so one should apply it each time one washes. If it worked as some claim, you would be happy. Sounds like you are not, just trying to be helpful. Living on a dirt road, you need something very durable

Can you qualify that statement? Many on detailing forums swear by Optimum products. The OCW is reputed to be as good as traditional wax and ONR is supposed to be good for all but the most extreme situation like completed mud caked 4x4s.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information