Post Thanks / Like
    The other day i was poking around under my 99` suburban and i noticed some light rust starting to form after 9 colorado winters. This got me thinking, is there any sort of protectant that i can easily apply to the undercarriage to prevent damage from snow, salt and all of the other nasty things winter can throw on there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Depends how involved you want to get. On the `00 Blazer I had until recently, I did most of the undercarriage with (only) Eastwood`s Black Heavy Duty Anti-Rust (after scraping/wire brushing off most of the visible rust). In a few areas where it`d really started to rust I did it right...rust converter, two coats of Rust Encapsulator, *then* the Anti-Rust, but you decide how far you want to go with your Suburban. I`d bet the Anti-Rust alone would probably suffice. FWIW, when I sold the Blazer after a few winters, the undercarriage looked just as nice as when I first did it; this stuff *works* in the long-term sense. Very user friendly too, at least IMO.

I replaced the Blazer with a very nice (no winters) Denali XL and I really did that one right; besides the Anti-Rust I also used AutoInt`s Rust Inhibitor (yellowish rustproofing, IMO it`s about the best on the market) which I sprayed in inaccessible areas including inside the doors/liftgate and Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protector, which I sprayed on electrical connectors and the spare tire retaining spring/etc.

Again, it`s all a matter of how involved you want to get. It`s possible to pretty much eliminate any real corrosion concerns if you use the above stuff and then wash the undercarriage off regularly.

Sources:

Eastwood Company: Auto Tools, Body Repair, Classic Car Restoration, House of Kolor Paint, Powder Coating

http://www.autoint.com

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/amh.aspx

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you accumulator for the great information. I will definitely look into this.

Thread Information