Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    My door seals are the source of a lot of rattles/squeaks on my 02 VW Jetta. What can I use to lube these that doesn`t dry up after a day? I usually use 303 with good results, but yea, after a day or two it`s back... Not sure I want to soak them with WD-40 or something smelly :bat Would Black Wow be good for this? :think2

On a second note, is there any adhesive felt tape that would stick well to door seals that I could use? I am really at a loss as to what to do about this. Of course now this might be under the wrong sub-forum now.. Anyway, thanks for any suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like
    1Z einszett Gummi Pflege might be worth a try. I haven`t used it much so I can`t say how long it lasts.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve never really heard of door squeaks because of gasket dressing - dressing just keep gaskets new longer. Are you sure you don`t need to have the door alignment checked?

Post Thanks / Like
    No, the seals aren`t squeaking because of dressing, I need a dressing that lasts awhile so the seals are lubed so to speak so they don`t squeak. It`s a common problem with VW`s and 5 Series BMW`s. Over time the seals dry out and cause a sound that is similar to a rattle or squeak. My door is aligned and my hinges are tight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shine
    1Z einszett Gummi Pflege might be worth a try. I haven`t used it much so I can`t say how long it lasts.
    + 1 on the Gummi Pflege. It seems to work pretty well when I have used it. The wife used to have a car door that would freeze shut in the winter. One application of the Gummi Pflege about 3 years ago has eliminated that problem.

A similar product that (I think) Accumulator prefers is the Wurth Rubber Care:

Wurth Rubber Care Gel Stick is easy-on rubber care for your seals and weatherstripping.

Both products seem pretty similar with the same style applicator, etc..
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliot Ness
    + 1 on the Gummi Pflege. ..A similar product that (I think) Accumulator prefers is the Wurth Rubber Care:

Wurth Rubber Care Gel Stick is easy-on rubber care for your seals and weatherstripping.

Both products seem pretty similar with the same style applicator, etc..

Yeah, side-by-side testing I preferred the Wurth, but both are very good. I don`t use the bottle-top foam applicator as it gets soiled in a big/gross way; I put the stuff on a swab/foam/whatever and apply with that.

:chuckle: they call these things "sticks" as if they were like ChapStick but they`re really just bottles of liquid with a foam pad on top.

Wurth also makes an aerosol spray called "Rubber Care" that I like, but I`d spray it on an applicator instead of risking overspray-mess. Gotta work fast as the carrier agents evap really quick.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve got 4 variations of this product: the Wurth spray and stick, the 1Z stick and the ZYMOL "Seal" liquid. I think I prefer the 1Z stick product - - I`ve had good results with it. However, I was not trying to cure a squeaking issue. You may want to check out the ZYMOL stuff - - it really softens the gasket nicely.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use FK1 108

Post Thanks / Like
    There`s stuff you can get from a chevy dealer called "Krytox", but it is seriously expensive (almost $200 for 9fl oz).

One link provided to me by a friend:

Krytox III - ProwlerOnline, Plymouth/Chrysler Prowler Discussion Forum

Post Thanks / Like
    Stoner Trim Shine works on rubber door seals pretty well. Use a piece of cardboard as an over spray shield. Wiping it with an MF afterward helps prevent splotchy looking areas.
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark-V`s bumper gelle works great.

Post Thanks / Like
    save yourself some $ & buy dielectric grease

have use it and spray Silicon lube for years per old GM info

(it is still recommended @ the dealer last time I checked)

food for thought ....I have a 81 Z-28 Camaro that has been outside 24-7 for the 10+ years I have owned it and treating the top-top seals and door seals with dielectric grease & spray Silicon lube

and THEY STILL DO NOT LEAK! if you know anything about these cars that is a feat

also the seals on the conv top of my 97 z-28 camaro are in great shape for 11 years old and spending as much time as possible @ the shore

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jedovaty
    There`s stuff you can get from a chevy dealer called "Krytox", but it is seriously expensive (almost $200 for 9fl oz).

One link provided to me by a friend:

Krytox III - ProwlerOnline, Plymouth/Chrysler Prowler Discussion Forum

I actually bought this stuff from a Chevy dealer a few years ago. It was $50-ish for a small bottle of it. From what I understand (and the reason I bought it), it`s re-branded Krytox. If you buy the actual Krytox brand tube, it is $100-$200.

Anyway, I wouldn`t recommend this stuff for normal door seals. I`ve tried it several times (thinking it would get better), but it just gums up the seals. Yeah, it probably keeps them moist and lubricated, but the stuff is takcy to the touch. And it doesn`t really dry. Everytime I touched the seals with my skin or clothing, it left residue. Needless to day, I stopped using it for door seals.

Perhaps it is better suited for things such as convertible seals, etc... For my truck, I`ve found that it is perfect for the rear (stationary) window seal that likes to squeek against the exterior paint on the cab. In fact, I`ve since found out that Ford has a TSB on the issue that specifically calls for Krytox as the remedy. Works great for that.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Meguiars ASD on my door seals. Put it on around a year ago and they still look great.

FWIW, we have 1994 Jeep that we bought new in 94. Its been outside 24/7 for around 14 years now and nothing has ever been put on the door seals. Doors do not leak at all.
    2004 Jeep liberty w/ stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the same problem with my BMW. I have had great results with Napa Syl Glyde, However it leaves a messy residue.

I tried the 1Z gummi stick, but it did not quiet the door squeaks like the syl gylde.

I`d prefer not to use the thick napa syl stuff, but have not found anything close to removing the noise.

Steve

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information