Post Thanks / Like

i am very new to detailing, and my 2007 civic thats night hawk black has light to medium cob web type swirls on it. I am getting a PC to do some corrective work and want some advice on what polish to order. I have never done this before, i was thinking of Meg`s #80 or #83 or SSR1 or SSR2. what would be the easiest to use and give me the best results?

I will be getting Lake Country pads because i am getting the stuff off Eshine, what would be the best pads to use with the polish, yellow heavy cut(guessing not) or orange mild cut, i will be getting the white polishing pad too ,and the black finshing pad because of the kit, let me know. Also if any other people have a night hawk black pearl paint job, what wax or sealant gives you the best wet look and brings out your blue flake?

Post Thanks / Like
    I would go with the Megs #80 or SSR 1 or 2 at the most. I just purchased a 2007 Honda Accord Nighthawk Black myself a few months ago and got into detailing and these forums fairly heavily.

I bought the PC 7424, Edge Pads, and plenty of product. You will find that Honda paint is very soft and is very easy to get swirls in even after you correct the paint. That said, being new, your paint should easily be corrected with Megs #80 or SSR 1 or 2. I definitely wouldn`t use anything more abrasive then that as it won`t be needed.

Regarding waxes, I used both Natty`s Blue and S100 was (same as P21S). Personally, I couldn`t tell much of a difference between the two. That said, I would go with the S100 just because of the ease of use, wipes on and off like butter. Natty`s is just a little hard to apply and remove. That said, most people here would most likely disagree with me and would say that Natty`s Blue looks better on black paint. Either way, you really can`t go wrong not to mention that both are around $15.

Also remember that a wax more often than not will only look as good as the paint has been prepped beforehand. Since you are looking to purchase a PC, you won`t have that problem as you will be polishing your paint before you apply the wax of your choice. Paint preparation is key in getting any wax to look its best on your car, ESPECIALLY BLACK.

You will find many helpful people here. Make friends with the Search button as well. Chances are if you have a question about something, it has been asked and answered here before. Good luck, and make sure to post pictures of your ride after you have detailed it.

Post Thanks / Like
    what do you mean he wont need anything abrasive....he said medium swirling....80 is going to take all day long....

get 83 and 80 and 21 and 26 if you want to stay all megs....use a light cutting pad (orange) and 83, then a polishing pad (white) and 80, finishing pad (black) and 21/26....

you arent going to need the yellow cutting pad, its really aggressive and will probably induce more micromarring that it takes out on soft honda paint....

Post Thanks / Like
    Megs 83 or Menzerna Polish. Use an orange pad.
    2005 Black Hummer H2--No More

2006 White Volvo S40

Now proud owner of a brand new 2007 SeaRay 310
    :heelclick

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 2007 Civic Si NHBP too!. Welcome to the site man!:up . I haven`t waxed my civic cause of it being new to me. doesn`t need waxing, just a good wash all the time. Although i`ve been tempted and have been wanting to FINALLY wax it for the first time. I don`t know what to use cause I have S100 paste wax, Collinite 845, Collinite 476, Meguiars GOLD CLASS paste wax, and Meguiars NXT Liquid wax. If I end up waxing my car for the first time, i`m gonna make sure I CLAY it first before I do. I`ve been too bummed out about what happen to my baby after I found out someone or something damaged my car`s trunk lid.

http://autopia.org/forum/exterior-pe...-civic-si.html

So i`ve been just depressed and letting my civic get all dirty and now the elements have embeded into my paint. It needs a bath and some TLC now.:bawling:

I`m gonna go to AUTOZONE or PEPBOYS to pickup a CLAYMAGIC claybar kit for her.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnold
    I have a 2007 Civic Si NHBP too!. Welcome to the site man!:up . I haven`t waxed my civic cause of it being new to me. doesn`t need waxing, just a good wash all the time. Although i`ve been tempted and have been wanting to FINALLY wax it for the first time. I don`t know what to use cause I have S100 paste wax, Collinite 845, Collinite 476, Meguiars GOLD CLASS paste wax, and Meguiars NXT Liquid wax. If I end up waxing my car for the first time, i`m gonna make sure I CLAY it first before I do. I`ve been too bummed out about what happen to my baby after I found out someone or something damaged my car`s trunk lid.

http://autopia.org/forum/exterior-pe...-civic-si.html

So i`ve been just depressed and letting my civic get all dirty and now the elements have embeded into my paint. It needs a bath and some TLC now.:bawling:

I`m gonna go to AUTOZONE or PEPBOYS to pickup a CLAYMAGIC claybar kit for her.

I would definately put some kind of protectant on your car.
    2005 Black Hummer H2--No More

2006 White Volvo S40

Now proud owner of a brand new 2007 SeaRay 310
    :heelclick

Post Thanks / Like
    As a sealant we used Megs #21 on my son`s new Black SUV and the look was outstanding. As there were really no swirls we just used PoliSeal as a cleaner.
    "If we weren`t all crazy..We`d all go insane" Jimmy Buffett

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an `06 si in NBP. I whole heartedly agree with the above suggestions about the Menzerna line of polishes. There is a good chance that one of their finishing polishes on an orange pad will take care of the cob webbing (the paint is extremely soft).

As far as protection, you mentioned wanting to bring out the blue pearl. A sealant is likely your best bet for this and I`ve had very good results with the blackfire lineup from properautocare. Very slick and wet looking on black. If you do decide to go with a `nuba which could mute the pearl to some degree, I would slightly caution using P21S (S100) as I find that at low angles this product gives the paint a silvery look. If durability is a concern look into Collinite or I had surprisingly good results with 3M`s Perfect it paste. If your willing to spend more time and money many of the boutiques are great (PS, Pete`s 53 or 50/50, etc) and you will not be dissatisfied.

I may have contibuted more confusion with the length and choices in this post but it is really a matter of evaluating what it is that you want.

Post Thanks / Like
    use ssr 2 with a medium pad and ssr1 with a light pad and you will be perfect my friend. such easy to use products, they got me hooked

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotaguy
    what do you mean he wont need anything abrasive....he said medium swirling....80 is going to take all day long....

get 83 and 80 and 21 and 26 if you want to stay all megs....use a light cutting pad (orange) and 83, then a polishing pad (white) and 80, finishing pad (black) and 21/26....

you arent going to need the yellow cutting pad, its really aggressive and will probably induce more micromarring that it takes out on soft honda paint....

Toyotaguy,

The OP has 4 posts in this forum. It is fairly obvious that he is completely new to all of this. I wouldn`t suggest to anyone first starting this that they go straight to Megs 83 or an abrasive compound on a brand new car, not to mention the fact that we are talking about a Honda that has paint like butter, very easy to swirl, but also a lot easier to correct as well.

I also never stated that he wouldn`t need anything abrasive. I stated that I thought he wouldn`t need anything MORE ABRASIVE then Megs #80 or Poorboys SSR 1 or SSR2, which I still believe to be the case based on personal experience working with the same paint he is referring to.

Post Thanks / Like
    which is more abbrasive, Meg`s #80 or SSR1? Is SSR2 compariable to Meg`s #83? just a liltle confused, and which is the easier line to use SSR1 and SSR2 or the Meg`s #80 & #83 for the first time user?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think both lines are easy to use and either one will do the job. I would suggest that whichever product line you choose you start with the lesser abrasive product just to see how much cut you need. If the less abrasive product works then you can put the stronger product away for another day.
    "If we weren`t all crazy..We`d all go insane" Jimmy Buffett

Thread Information