Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Everyone

I was just looking at this new polish-wax and clay bar from BILT-HAMBER

I am going to link direct to the product page, at the bottom it says you can use water as lube, is this a new product or has someone had go with this type before??

200G for Ă‚£10 is pretty good.

http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/produc...products_id=91

Any thoughts on this or the Bilt-Hamber wax appreciated, i might pick some up if people have had good luck with water-as-lube-claybars.

Thanks

GEOFF

Post Thanks / Like
    interesting. Iono though, not that expensive or difficult to get lube. ONR ftw

Post Thanks / Like
    Whats wrong with using regular car wash soap mixed with water as a lubricant? I`ve done that for years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah i have used a mix of car washing soap and lube.

I was just wondering if anyone had used this or similar??

Post Thanks / Like
    Old thread revival thanks to Google!

Yes, I use it, and have been their main "voice" on Detailing World.

Loved the product the moment I`d used it and seen what 3 years previous unloving had built up.

The car positively glowed afterwards, and the Balm is a superb LSP (paste sealant) as well.

Works with water, QD, mild soap solution - so whatever you fancy.

New soft version out now, which is more user friendly regarding reshaping in the colder months.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m using my regular streeetchy Optimum clay with water only, using my garden sprayer`s "mist" setting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, Bence. Any particular reason for using just water with your Opti-Clay? I know I`ve seen that some people use water only, but I`m not sure why.

Quote Originally Posted by Bence
    I`m using my regular streeetchy Optimum clay with water only, using my garden sprayer`s "mist" setting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EisenHulk
    Hey, Bence. Any particular reason for using just water with your Opti-Clay? I know I`ve seen that some people use water only, but I`m not sure why.

It is a heck of a lot cheaper, and is the main ingredient within many of the clay lubes anyhow. I learned this from some of the best detailers in the business.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, man. I figured cost had something to do with it. I also thought that the other ingredients in clay lube could possibly lead to premature breakdown of the clay.

Quote Originally Posted by howareb
    It is a heck of a lot cheaper, and is the main ingredient within many of the clay lubes anyhow. I learned this from some of the best detailers in the business.

Post Thanks / Like
    Water is a poor lubricant on its own, unfortunately. The addition of shampoo to the mixture, or ONR, will greatly enhance the lubrication and allow you to clay without fear of marring (with fine clay, of course).

I think there are more choices for lubricants but those are mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    The constant mist gives enough lubrication with the Opti clay. Otherwise I`m using ONR and/or different QDs to lubricate my clays.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    It`s kind of funny. I tried using Z6 as a clay bar lube and it was too slick. I couldn`t get anything off the paint. I used soapy water and it worked better. You need the clay to be able to bite. You need enough of a film for the clay to ride on. I still think a soapy mixture is safest-especially if you have road tar spots.

Post Thanks / Like
    Depends on the actual clay. Some clays become mushy because of the soapy water. Soapy water is definitely good, but I`m using my foamgun to clay instead of a sprayer.

Post Thanks / Like
    when using soapy water, should it be a weak or strong soapy solution?

Sometimes I tried using alot of soap but the clay glides too freely over the surface.

What about using water only for more `bite` from the clay?

Post Thanks / Like
    The use of water as a lube is nothing new. When clays first came over from Japan using water was the recommended technique. Then the detailing companies realised that they could push a dedicated lube so before you know it everyone thinks you have to use a lube or you`ll marr the paint.

Some clays are more resistant to detergent than others, so with some clays a wash solution may well cause the bar to break down and fall apart

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information