Post Thanks / Like
    Mazda Motor Corporation has developed, jointly with Japan Polypropylene Corporation, a new resin material for vehicle parts that maintains the same rigidity as parts made with conventional materials while achieving significant weight reduction.

When the material is used for both front and rear bumpers, as it will in the all-new Mazda CX-5 SUV to go on sale this spring, it contributes to weight reduction of approximately 20 percent over conventional material. The company blended two components found in polypropylene and rubber, the constituents of resin, that have different properties, and succeeded in distributing them in a double-layer structure. While the surface has excellent paint film adhesion, the inner section retains high rigidity and impact absorption, with reduced thickness.

The reduced thickness not only allows a significant reduction in the raw material required to manufacture the parts, it also allows for a shorter cooling period after molding, and by using computer-aided engineering (CAE) technology, the fluidity of the resin material has also been optimized. As a result, bumper molding time, previously 60 seconds, has been halved to 30 seconds, leading to major reductions in the amount of energy consumed in the production process.

Mazda said it plans to use these bumper covers on other upcoming new models following the CX-5.

Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Very interesting find. I look forward to seeing how this will be used in the future. I can only dream of a new RX-7...
    Marc Harris from AutoLavish Fine Automobile Care of Michigan

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad they are doing "something".

Have been chatting a bit with some of my old friends with Mazda in California.

They are hurting, Hyundia and Kia are killing them.(Mitsubisi isn`t doing much better for many of the same reasons)

Mazda is lacking at having a fuller line of vehicles and the public appears to be moving away from the brand.

Also, over the past three weeks, talked with three Mazda dealers who also have other brands, like Dodge, Ford, and VW, in all cases there are Hyundai and Kia dealers within a mile or less of their points.

They said no problem selling their Fords, Dodges, VW`s, but in each case have sold less than 5 new Mazda`s since the first of the year!

Said they are trying everything to sell more but people just don`t like the styling, the cost for one.

Folks in SoCal with Mazda have said under the table, they don`t expect Mazda to be around in the States in 4 years if they don`t get some more models, less pricing and better accepted product.

Sad, but since they are owned by a banking group and Ford is gone, bankers are terrible at running a car company.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham
    Sad, but since they are owned by a banking group and Ford is gone, bankers are terrible at running a car company.

Exactly my thoughts as well. I can`t honestly say I *really* like any of their products right now.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    David Fermani- After my MPV experience I`d rather see Mazda put a little effort into corrosion-resistance. I used to like/own/recommend Mazdas, but, well.....you know..[screw] `em.

Post Thanks / Like
    sounds like they are adapting european traits.

Bmw`s are a classic for repairing bumpers. Extremely thin PP or other blend, vs the large PUR(polyurethane).

For bodywork/repairwork its almost a replacement standard because the thinner ones are just to hard mend the thermosets back together.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Affordable/Mobile

Thread Information