Thread: Help with bike

Post Thanks / Like

Help with bike

Hi all, looking for info and tips on cleaning my bike. Its a cruiser with lots of chrome and of course paint. I would like to know what products you recommend and in what order you clean things in, dos and donts kind of idea. The bike is in nice shape and I need to get the winter funk off it before I head down south next week. Whats the best way to clean the bugs off paint, chrome and lexan ect...?

Thanks in advance.

Kirk

"Luck" Residue of design tuscarora dave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help with bike

I use all Poorboy`s World products, I detail some cruisers like Harleys with lots of chrome and have it pretty much down to a science. First I will say that you want to have a brush like the EZ Detail motorcycle brush EZ Detail Brush, E-Z Detail Brushes, Wheel Brush, Tire Brush, Detailing Brush, motorcycle brush ang a nice soft Mictofiber wash mit.

First I mix up a 10:1 mixture of APC in a garden sprayer and soak the entire surface of the bike making sure to get down into the tight areas around the oil tank, swingarm, engine, under gas tank etc. I let the APC dwell while I mix up a wash bucket with some Super Slick and Wax Car Wash Concentrate.

At this point I do any Claying and or machine polishing of the fuel tank or fender paint. I do this paint polishing before I wash the entire bike so that the wash removes any polish splatter. (this is assuming that you would first wipe the painted surfaces free of any dirt or grit before polishing)

Next, if there are any particularly greasy areas like around the swingarm or around the chain guard (if chain driven) I will give those areas another dose of the APC and then bucket wash the bike using the wash mit getting all the easy to reach areas first (if bugs don`t wash off I use clay during the wash to achieve this) saving the extra dirty areas for cleaning with the brush for last so as to not contaminate the wash media with the greasy and gritty stuff. I have the APC handy while working with the brush in case if the greasy stuff comes off hard I will spray the APC on that area and continue with the brush until fully cleaned. I make sure to do all the spokes at this point as well and then rinse the entire bike.

At this point I will towel dry the bike and spray all the black painted and black rubber parts with Poorboy`s World Bold & Bright. (If working on a Harley with black krinkle finish on the oil tank, DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT spray Bold & Bright on the oil tank. The black krinkle finish on the engines is powder coating but the oil tank is rubberized Krinkle paint and the Bold & Bright will lift the paint.)

Next I will hand polish all the chrome using a micro fiber towel or mit (not wash mit) Having lots of chrome warrants the purchase of some Poorboy`s World Pro Polish as I have never found any polish that brightens up chrome better.

Next I will apply wax or sealant to the painted surfaces and apply Poorboy`s World Wheel Sealant to all the chrome parts excluding the pipes. I like to eat lunch at this point allowing the wax and sealant to fully dry before buffing the residue off. (I would only recommend this if using Poorboy`s World products as other brands can be a real bear to remove)

Last (after buffing off wax and sealant residue) I lightly mist a clean soft micro fiber towel with a quick detailer such as Poorboy`s World Spray & Gloss and go over all the easy to reach surfaces to remove any fingerprints and ensure that extra bling.

At this point I want to state that I am in no way affiliated with Poorboy`s World except that I use their products and have never used an easier product to work with.

I hope this helped, TD

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, as Im new I dont have the knowledge of how all the items you have discussed works exactly. I am an hour or more to any good size town where I might find these products. I will see if napa has a micro fiber mit and towels, I have Meguiars car wash and Mothers aluminum and chrome polish. I will try to follow as much of your ideas as possible.

"Luck" Residue of design tuscarora dave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kah68 View Post
    Thanks, as Im new I dont have the knowledge of how all the items you have discussed works exactly. I am an hour or more to any good size town where I might find these products. I will see if napa has a micro fiber mit and towels, I have Meguiars car wash and Mothers aluminum and chrome polish. I will try to follow as much of your ideas as possible.
    I just used Poorboy`s World products in my writeup because that`s what I use personally and always recommend them because they make life in detailing much easier than over the counter products. They are deffinately not needed to do the job though. I really just wanted to outline my process in the order that I have found it most efficient.

Autozone or advance has a brush thet is shaped like the ez detail brush but it only lasted long enough to wash half the bike before the wire spine of the brush broke off at the handle.

Thread Information