Thread: Rx for new car

Post Thanks / Like

Rx for new car

I am taking delivery of a new Dodge Charger SRT in about a month. It is silver in color. I have used BF on several past cars and want to make sure I get this right. I have BFWD, BF Gloss Enhancing Polish and Mother`s clay bar already on hand.

In the past I have clayed cars, usually silver, and not done a wash or a polish prior to the BFWD. I gather this is not recommended. My questions are, is there anything wrong with my plan below? I`ve always had good outcomes with silver cars and the BFWD seems to last very well.

This is my plan when I take delivery: I will wash the car. Then I want to clay the surface with Mother`s clay wax. Then I would use BF Gloss Enhancing Polish. Then I would do BF Wet Diamond All Finish after that. Would appreciate any comment/recommendations on this plan. It has worked well in the past but it has been awhile since I`ve done a new car.

Finally, I use a Porter Dual action and am a little confused on what color pads are best for both the polish part and the final BFWD? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rx for new car

Make sure to tell the dealership not to touch the car. Don`t even peel the plastic off. Don`t let them do ANYTHING.

Besides that your process seems good.

You`re going to want to use a light polishing pad with the GEP. I believe the GEP is just a cleaner with some filling abilities. So any cut will come from the pad. Personally I use flat buff n shine pads, for those I would recommend probably the green polishing pads with the GEP. You can use other brands though.

As for applying the BFWD. You can do this by hand. If you insist on using the PC, I would grab some black buff n shine pads for that. I believe those pads have no cut. You could also go with the Crimson hydro tech pads from lake country. Those are my pads of choice for applying sealants.
    Likes trashmanssd, Red Orc liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Good advice I know. I was just going to tell them not wash.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mtndriver View Post
    I am taking delivery of a new Dodge Charger SRT in about a month. It is silver in color. I have used BF on several past cars and want to make sure I get this right. I have BFWD, BF Gloss Enhancing Polish and Mother`s clay bar already on hand.

In the past I have clayed cars, usually silver, and not done a wash or a polish prior to the BFWD. I gather this is not recommended. My questions are, is there anything wrong with my plan below? I`ve always had good outcomes with silver cars and the BFWD seems to last very well.

This is my plan when I take delivery: I will wash the car. Then I want to clay the surface with Mother`s clay wax. Then I would use BF Gloss Enhancing Polish. Then I would do BF Wet Diamond All Finish after that. Would appreciate any comment/recommendations on this plan. It has worked well in the past but it has been awhile since I`ve done a new car.

Finally, I use a Porter Dual action and am a little confused on what color pads are best for both the polish part and the final BFWD? Thanks!
    congrats on the new SRT!

I would go with a white lake country pad for the gloss enhancing polish (GEP)
    a finishing back/red depending on brand pad should be fine for the Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protectant (WDAFPP)

if you are in the states and you PM me your address I will send you some Midnight Sun Paste Wax so you can get the Wet Ice Over Fire shine (and can also send you a few other things that fit into the box)- consider it a gift from one SRT owner to another

I`d rather give this stuff to someone who will use/appreciate it than my club buddies who I know will never touch it.

Brandt K.
    Likes mjlinane, trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Before claying the car, you may want to consider using Iron-X (or similar product) to remove iron contaminants that are below the surface in the paint. Claying will remove above surface contaminants only.
    Yeah we all shine on, like the moon, and the stars, and the sun - John Lennon
    Likes rmtaylor51, trashmanssd, KBsToy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you have a good plan. The Ironx would be a good idea and definitely take the Midnight Sun Wax from 512detail (super nice, by the way!). Enjoy your new car!
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I pinioned on pads are going to vary wildly, based on preference. I`m a big fan of the Cyan hydro tech pads. Cuts reasonably well(though not extreme) while finishing down incredibly well. They really are great pads, and they keep the polish on the surface of the pad. Nothing against white LC pads, as I have them in both thin pro and CCS variety, but the hydro`s tend to be my go to`s unless I`m doing more specialized, multi step work.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, a Blackfire process question! This is one I can answer.

This is the official path: Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish, Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection, Midnight Sun Carnauba Wax.

You want thin pads for a free-spinning random orbital polisher, such as the Porter Cable. I haven`t tried the ThinPro pads yet, but they seem to be just the ticket for the Porter Cable and my Griot`s DA. You want a white or black pad for the Gloss Enhancing Polish and a black or red pad for the Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection and Midnight Sun Carnauba Wax.

Here`s a tip from master detailer Corey Caruth: use Iron X Paste as your clay lube so you can clay and decontaminate in one step.
    —  Jaddie

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L Nav. (mine)
    2016 Ford Escape Titanium (hers)

Thread Information