Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Crystal Coat Application Question

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    How long ago did you open the bottle?

I know that after opening the bottle, you have to really crank down the top of it. More than you think.

So I`ve been wondering if maybe the stuff is getting exposed to air.
    Opened the same evening. a few moments before applying i removed the seal under the cap.

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Well needless to say I gave up on the BFCC and went with some Pinnacle Souveran. Here are the results after a second polish to get the BFCC off and application of PLS (liquid version)

I havent given up on the BFCC but I wont be using it anytime soon on another customers car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, this thread is a bit concerning. I`d never heard anything bad about this product but it now seems like a real headache. I was gonna do my dad`s new truck and his wife`s car this summer with it, but now I might opt for something else.

Post Thanks / Like

Start with a TINY TINY TINY area and see how it reacts for you. You may never see that problem. Unless you havent already bought it, then I would go with something else.
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    Start with a TINY TINY TINY area and see how it reacts for you. You may never see that problem. Unless you havent already bought it, then I would go with something else.
    I got two free bottles with orders recently

Post Thanks / Like

I also found if i don`t remove the safety seal and instead just poke a tiny hole in it that it will limit the amount coming out of the pour spout.
    Quantity applied may have a lot to do with wiping abilities
    Shrink your work size down and play with wipe times as temperature and humidity has much to do with wipe off as well
    Robert DiTerlizzi
    Impressions fine automotive detailing
    7782 SW Jack James Dr
    Stuart, Fl. 34997
    772-260-6636
    Making Martin County shine - one car at a time
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This thread is interesting to me. I`ve used Crystal Coat twice, from the same bottle a few weeks apart and never experienced any of the problems discussed in this thread. It was in fact the very first coating I tried and I remember thinking to myself, what`s all the fuss about when applying coatings? It was almost too easy but I did go through 6 or 8 applicators per vehicle. I figure this probably cost me product. I was very pleased with the result. I`m sorry to see others having trouble with it. I think I need to go look in my bottle and see how the unused portion has held up as I have no idea.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

As I said before. The cap is kinda funny. It needs to be really cranked down after opening, or it leaves it more open to air.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I used BLACKFIRE Crystal Coat Paint Coating on my TR6 in June
    The paint is single stage black and marrs very easily!
    I had zero issues with any marring

Robert DiTerlizzi
    7782 SW Jack James Dr
    Stuart, Fl. 34997
    772-260-6636
    Likes GearHead_1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice "Merlin" shot
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes Robert DiTerlizzi liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

very nice....well I wish I was not having problems. I have two other bottles from the bf gift item...I have considered opening one of those and giving it a shot but once I got them I sealed them up inside a bag and taped the tops down because I had read posts about the bottle not sealing well.

I`m not saying this is not all 100% user error, but I coated 6 cars with my pbl v1 bottle and never had one single issue at all.....but holy cow this crystal coat, its a PITA to use for me.

I wish I was more local to you guys so I could have someone else try this exact bottle to see if its just me or if there is another issue at play here...I might give it another shot Wednesday if I get bored but this is a huge let down for me as I was very excited about using this on other people`s vehicles but I don`t trust myself applying it as it is right now.

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

I returned like 8 bottles of it and replaced with gloss coat. In today`s coating world there are 0 reasons to have to "work" to make it work. Gloss Coat is 10,000x easier. Just my .02 cents.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had mostly positive feedback with Crystal Coat. But have had a couple issues which I mainly contribute to shelf life of the product.

First experience was back around April. I bought a small 4oz bottle and used it on my personal cars with great success and ease of use. Also awesome durability! Fast forward to August. I had a clients C7ZO6 for a full correction and wheels off coating etc etc. I planned to use BF on the whole car. I did the wheels working in small areas and noticed it was a bit difficult to wipe off but still got the job done without issue. Once I moved onto the paint that`s when it became evident that there was a issue. I applied it in a small area and went to wipe off immediately and it was already like glue. Due to time constraints I ended up using PBL V2. No biggie, happy customer!

I called Nick and explained what was going on and admitted how old the bottle was and that it was stored in my garage and not indoors. He graciously sent me a new 8oz bottle this time free of charge. So right after that I had 2 more cars to coat. Both I did with BF with great success again!

Jag XJL with BFCC

Monte SS with BFCC

Now here is where it gets interesting. I haven`t used that bottle I opened back in August (mainly because of the new Wolfgang Uber Coating) till just the other day. It`s been stored inside the whole time mind you. I wanted to test it on top of Essence to see how it would react. It acted just like my first bottle did after being opened for a few months. Although not as bad. I was able to work in really small areas and got a couple panels done and they look great and are holding up awesome so far. I personally think the product has a short shelf life ONCE OPENED. Just my .02. I don`t think it`s a bad product in the least bit.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p
    Thanks Ronkh thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Justins00ss View Post
    I have had mostly positive feedback with Crystal Coat. But have had a couple issues which I mainly contribute to shelf life of the product.

First experience was back around April. I bought a small 4oz bottle and used it on my personal cars with great success and ease of use. Also awesome durability! Fast forward to August. I had a clients C7ZO6 for a full correction and wheels off coating etc etc. I planned to use BF on the whole car. I did the wheels working in small areas and noticed it was a bit difficult to wipe off but still got the job done without issue. Once I moved onto the paint that`s when it became evident that there was a issue. I applied it in a small area and went to wipe off immediately and it was already like glue. Due to time constraints I ended up using PBL V2. No biggie, happy customer!

I called Nick and explained what was going on and admitted how old the bottle was and that it was stored in my garage and not indoors. He graciously sent me a new 8oz bottle this time free of charge. So right after that I had 2 more cars to coat. Both I did with BF with great success again!

Jag XJL with BFCC

Monte SS with BFCC

Now here is where it gets interesting. I haven`t used that bottle I opened back in August (mainly because of the new Wolfgang Uber Coating) till just the other day. It`s been stored inside the whole time mind you. I wanted to test it on top of Essence to see how it would react. It acted just like my first bottle did after being opened for a few months. Although not as bad. I was able to work in really small areas and got a couple panels done and they look great and are holding up awesome so far. I personally think the product has a short shelf life ONCE OPENED. Just my .02. I don`t think it`s a bad product in the least bit.
    mine turned to that glue like substance you mentioned almost immediately

bottle was stored inside and I broke the seal about 2 minutes before applying it

I`m certain I used too much initially (and it was going on top of essence)

but the second time I used just a dot on a fresh applicator and a smaller section with the same, but less intensive negative results

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Don`t fret guys, I`ve got a use for your opened bottles of BLACKFIRE Crystal Coat Paint Coating!
    Go to Home Depot and buy one of these

add Crystal coat to the lower bottle (about2oz) and spray onto wheels. Its a no wipe way to coat your wheels!
    now there is a learning curve to using this type of sprayer as you can`t just push the nozzle all the way down (compressed air freezes the product) but If you pulse the spray nozzle you get get a nice even coat.
    I practiced on the inside (barrel) of the rim first before I sprayed the face
    here`s the wet finish I achieved

I did have a run which I just blotted with a Suede coating applicator

a few after pictures

Now heres a benefit I see to spraying besides not having to wipe the coating off, it gets a full coat, meaning more product adheres to the wheel for added protection!
    Just a note......there where no high spots, streaks or uneven areas once cured
    Hope this help you guys!
    Robert DiTerlizzi
    7782 SW Jack James Dr
    Stuart, Fl. 34997
    772-260-6636
    Likes Ronkh, 512detail liked this post
    Thanks Ronkh, 512detail thanked for this post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information