Post Thanks / Like

Help newb prep for exterior detail.

Hello, I have never done a "proper" full exterior detail before so work with me a little bit here. My truck is black and I want to get it and keep it looking excellent. The paint is in fairly good condition right now, only minor scratches and swirl marks from the previous owner. I would like some input on what I have planned. Good or bad, all comments are appreciated.

I plan on purchasing this Harbor Freight DA polisher. I have heard good things for it if you plan to seldom use it, and it is on sale for $55.
    6 in. 5.7 Amp Heavy Duty Dual Action Variable Speed Polisher

First step is to wash then clay the truck.

I will then start with M205 with an LC orange pad. I have some Ultimate Compound I can use if the M205 doesn`t get out certain scratches.

Next up will be M21 for the sealant with LC gray. Followed by either the TechWax 2.0 or the Black Wax Paste with a LC blue pad.

Thoughts on the chrome bumpers? Tech Wax 2.0 ?

I am a newb so I appreciate any input!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help newb prep for exterior detail.

Sounds like a good plan. What is Tech Wax 2.0?? Is that NXT Tech Wax??

If so it might have some cleaners if you are applying that directly over the Meguiars 21. I would just stick with Meguairs 21 if you want a sealant but you could always top with say Meguiars 26 if you want a nice carnuaba look.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing
    Likes tropicsteve liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the response, yes it is the NXT wax. I have a bottle laying around so I figured I would use it but I don`t need to. I will look into 26!

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you replace the 6" backing plate on the HF with a quality 5" backing plate and get some quality 5 or 5.5" pads. While the polisher is an OK unit the backing plate and HF pads are not. The new Megs THIN 5" pads would be a great choice. Link: Meguiars 5 Inch DA Foam Discs

And, get enough pads--trying to do an enitire vehicle with one or two pads per step a recipe for failure.

Read this:

Link: How many pads do I need to buff out my car? - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a suggestion for a decent backing plate?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the727kid View Post
    If you go with Megs pads get the Megs 5" Backing plate. Another great set of pads are the Buff & Shine 5.5" flat pads--very durable and they have recessed Velcro for an added margin of safety when polishing around protruding objects like mirrors etc. If you go that route get a B&S 5" backing plate.

You might also want to think about a 3.5" backing plate for use with 4" pads to polish the tight spaces like bumpers etc. 5 or 5.5" pads are great for the larger areas, but can be a bit of a problem when you get in the tight areas.
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson
    Likes the727kid liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Buff and Shine 5" backing plate. Its available at the Autopia store for $14.99.

I own a Harbor Freight DA. Its ran like a tank for me. I probably have at least 200 hours on mine. Really a great deal for the money.
    Likes Stokdgs, the727kid, tropicsteve liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the response, yes it is the NXT wax. I have a bottle laying around so I figured I would use it but I don`t need to. I will look into 26!
    I think you will like the NXT 2.0- many people find it very similar to Megs 21.
    Choose one or the other: Just don`t try to layer them as you won`t accomplish much.
    Likes the727kid liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

two coats of m21 will be all you need for a great finish. if you want to layer some carnauba over it, wait 1/2 to a full day to let the sealant cure first. like pat said, m26 is a good choice if you feel the need.

Thread Information