Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clay alternative and lube?

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    52split- Heh heh, as I read your post I was thinking "man, that second paragraph sounds like he`s channeling me!" I mix my IUDJ awfully strong..wasting $ I`m sure but I like how it`s working so I keep doing it.

Now what I *DON`T* understand is how you folks use those Clay Substiture Towels without instilling any marring. I`m *NOT* challenging/questioning, I just don`t understand it. I mean, I have to knead/replace my clay every few *inches* of panel, oh-so-gentle with virtually no pressure, the whole process is really challenging if I want to completely avoid marring. I`d expect the towls to be less forgiving than the way I clay, so I just don`t understand...where does the abrasive [stuff] go so it doesn`t get trapped between the towel and the paint?

Eh, I probably sound like a twit on this subject But I`m willing to just shrug and be happy it`s working for you guys. Another one of Life`s Mysteries that I might never understand.

Totally understand. When I clay with my Speedy Prep Towel I soak it in a bucket filled with a strong mixture of IUDJ. I let it soak for a couple minutes then proceed to clay using my Kwazar "double spray" spray bottle filled with more IUDJ. I am constantly "rinsing" the towel with the hose and then dumping it back in the Detail Juice bucket and repeat the process for the entire vehicle. I don` clay very often as my coatings hold up very well and do an excellent job of keeping the paint "contaminant free."
    "Courage is being afraid but saddling up anyways." - John Wayne
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I`d expect the towels to be less forgiving than the way I clay, so I just don`t understand...where does the abrasive [stuff] go so it doesn`t get trapped between the towel and the paint?
    Depending on what I`m doing...
    If I`m polishing paint after doing clay then not much worry.
    If I`m doing a wash, clay & wax I`ll rinse the towel after each panel.
    I have used a white clay bar after using the Nanoskin Auto-Scrub towel (FINE).
    The results were a clean white clay bar with very little to no contaminants in the clay.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses, and for not just blowing me off as "the guy who doesn`t get it"

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Mi Amigo, El Accumulator`,

The much larger size/footprint of the SM Arnold Speedy Prep Towel, for example, makes it much more less likely to get into trouble with it..
    Im thinking since it is a form of polymerized rubber, and while it is "sticky" when dry, once its wet and lubed, it just slides everywhere really easily..

I only use the Fine Grade for my Shop and of course my "Baby"; on some dirtier paintwork of Client`s cars, I may have to go over it again in spots if Im not paying complete total attention to the work..

In the past, had more issues with a few different claybars sticking to the paint for some reason and not wanting to come off easily, than I have ever had with the Speedy Prep Towel in the few years I have had it..

I believe it you are keeping the surface wet - either by spraying with a bottle of Lube or sponge, heck, even the hose, this type of media self rinses anyway..
    The reason I say this is because I always rinse it after a panel, and have yet to ever find anything embedded/stuck to to the rubber side - ever...

Perhaps put this on your List to Santa ?
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

If you listen to the "sound" and "feel"...you can hear and feel it working.

I keep all 8 sides wet and I do use enough "clay lube" for LOTS of lubricity
    Likes Stokdgs, The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator-- I used the Nanoskin Sponge (fine) this year with UWW+(mixed at waterless wash dilution) as a lube. As others have mentioned I soaked the sponge in the solution for a few minutes then sprayed copious amounts on the paint before applying the sponge to the paint. After small sections it`s simple to hit the sponge surface with a hard spray from the hose so it cleans it off very well, then dip in the UWW+ solution, spray and begin on the next section. Really moves along much faster than clay and I couldn`t find any marring afterwards with a couple different light sources. All this was done after IronX ofcourse. I was going to give the paint a light polish afterwards, but I took extra care just to see if I could decontaminate without inducing marring.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the reply guys, been busy so I haven`t gotten time to reply. I heard that Gary deans I limited use detail juice was good for "junk man" but man that stuff is expensive and is only sold on his website. The UWW+ dilution is too far from IUDJ so if I could do the math they would be about even. That IUDJ seems to do it all, interior cleaning and windows!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    If you listen to the "sound" and "feel"...you can hear and feel it working.

I keep all 8 sides wet and I do use enough "clay lube" for LOTS of lubricity
    That`s a nice video, I never had that kind of audible sound when using clay the few times i have but did feel it get somewhat smoother. That nanoskin towel i assume has some drag and then the drag is reduced once the surface is clean and no more audible scratching is heard? Looks like you just used the weight of the towel to drag it across?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AAEzra View Post
    That nanoskin towel i assume has some drag and then the drag is reduced once the surface is clean and no more audible scratching is heard? Looks like you just used the weight of the towel to drag it across?
    I use very little pressure (if any) and check my work with the "baggie test" as I`m doing the mechanical part of decon.
    Repeat if needed until the paint is silky smooth. Be sure to use plenty of "clay Lube" so the towel does not grab or drag.

Post Thanks / Like

Once again, I thank those who`ve helped fill me in on this approach.

IF..

-I didn`t have a lifetime supply of clay/lube that I`m happy with
    -my vehicles didn`t somehow stay awfully contamination-free these days (no idea why, but I`ll take it!)
    -I was willing to risk something going haywire (OK, I might risk that on the Crown Vic, pretty thick clear still on that one)

IF..those things, then OK, I`d probably give the Fine Grade a try! Heh heh, see...I`m not *completely* close-minded about all this newfangled stuff!

BUT...just because I`m me....I still don`t see how marring can be avoided if the towel picks up something abrasive. I basically have to clay tiny little areas like 2"x2" lest stuff stuck in the clay turn it into sandpaper. How`s the towel different. Heh heh, I bet nobody else here finds they have to clay the way I do either

Post Thanks / Like

Buy a sponge its 12$

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information