Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First car with DA

Just leave the larger backing plate that the GG6 came with on there for now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnF350 View Post
    Just leave the larger backing plate that the GG6 came with on there for now.

I was hoping that I would still be able to use the pads!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tips and tricks everyone - the car turned out alright!

I did run in to one issue though. As I mentioned in a previous thread, this car only receives car-wash washes (unfortunately), and is riddled with hard water spots. I tried the LC CCS yellow pad with M205 and saw no difference, I then tried Zaino Z-PC Fusion Dual Action Paint Cleaner Swirl Remover with another CCS yellow pad and that made no difference either. Do I need a heavier compound (M105?) or was I doing something wrong?

Post Thanks / Like

Water spots can be a tricky thing. Sometimes they come off with a simple DA, sometimes they are more difficult. It seems to me it really depends on what`s underneath them. For instance Some cars that roll through my work have been waxed and such. Therefore the water spots are just on the outside of the LSP and come off rather reasonably. Cars that have rarely been well taken care of or maintained those water spots will fuse directly onto the paint and are considerably more difficult to get out. It also depends greatly on the quality of water and such. High mineral content = really hard water spots. Where I live I couldn`t care less if it rains on my car. Those water spots come off when I wash it. However the underground sprinklers I tend to worry about.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably need a heavier compound, but don`t go with 105 as it`s not beginner friendly. HD Cut is very easy to use as it has a long working time, little to no dust and removes easily. Megs Ultimate Compound would also be a better choice (not as much cut as 105) and you can get it OTC.

Are you doing test spots before doing the entire car? You should get your technique, product and pad combo set with test spots producing the final look you want before embarking on the whole car.

Post Thanks / Like

Try some Poorboy`s Pro Polish.
    I find chemical polishes work better for water spots.
    Meguiars also makes a product which you might be able to pick up locally.
    I`ve never used it but if you try it let us know if it worked for you.
    Maybe a white or orange pad. I wouldn`t suggest using the yellow one on a newer car.

Meguiar`s : Water Spot Remover : Product

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kenny.bacon View Post
    Water spots can be a tricky thing. Sometimes they come off with a simple DA, sometimes they are more difficult. It seems to me it really depends on what`s underneath them. For instance Some cars that roll through my work have been waxed and such. Therefore the water spots are just on the outside of the LSP and come off rather reasonably. Cars that have rarely been well taken care of or maintained those water spots will fuse directly onto the paint and are considerably more difficult to get out. It also depends greatly on the quality of water and such. High mineral content = really hard water spots. Where I live I couldn`t care less if it rains on my car. Those water spots come off when I wash it. However the underground sprinklers I tend to worry about.
    I have been taking care of this car from the mile 2 on the odometer - the issue is that we have a very high mineral content in our water, which has obviously been transferred to the paint.

Quote Originally Posted by pwaug View Post
    Probably need a heavier compound, but don`t go with 105 as it`s not beginner friendly. HD Cut is very easy to use as it has a long working time, little to no dust and removes easily. Megs Ultimate Compound would also be a better choice (not as much cut as 105) and you can get it OTC.

Are you doing test spots before doing the entire car? You should get your technique, product and pad combo set with test spots producing the final look you want before embarking on the whole car.
    I did a couple test spots (hood and roof) and when I wasn`t able to remove them with the products I had on hand, I moved on. Would Menzerna be a "better" product to use (for user friendliness)?

Post Thanks / Like

Try some Poorboy`s Pro Polish.
    I find chemical polishes work better for water spots.
    Meguiars also makes a product which you might be able to pick up locally.
    I`ve never used it but if you try it let us know if it worked for you.
    Maybe a white or orange pad. I wouldn`t suggest using the yellow one on a newer car.

Meguiar`s : Water Spot Remover : Product

I`m not stuck on Meg`s products.

The car was a 2008 Nissan Altima (graphite) that has seen car-wash washes for its entire life. What would you suggest using the yellow pad for?

Post Thanks / Like

I just looked back at your first post.
    If you have the Gold jeweling pad, which is very soft, it won`t be firm enough to polish out those water spots.
    Use it for applying wax.

Just to double check. Do you have yellow heavy cutting pads or the yellow(gold) jeweling pad?

Post Thanks / Like

I just looked back at your first post.
    If you have the Gold jeweling pad, which is very soft, it won`t be firm enough to polish out those water spots.
    Use it for applying wax.

Facepalm!!!

I am an idiot. I have my pad reference guide on the wall in my garage and saw that yellow was a cutting pad and didn`t even think that they were gold in color. No wonder the water spots weren`t affected by the products!

Post Thanks / Like

If the pads you listed above are what you have. Then your Pink is the heaviest cut pad you own currently. Correct?
    Good luck on your next polishing session..lol

Post Thanks / Like

If the pads you listed above are what you have. Then your Pink is the heaviest cut pad you own currently. Correct?
    Good luck on your next polishing session..lol

Correct

Post Thanks / Like

"Waterspots" can be interpreted different ways...are we talking about mineral deposits that`re stuck to the paint, or etched clearcoat from nasty water drying on the vehicle (if that`s an issue you need a better LSP), or both?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    "Waterspots" can be interpreted different ways...are we talking about mineral deposits that`re stuck to the paint, or etched clearcoat from nasty water drying on the vehicle (if that`s an issue you need a better LSP), or both?

Mineral deposits stuck to the paint. I will take some pictures this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShakingHorizons View Post
    Mineral deposits stuck to the paint..
    I`d use a chemical approach, one of the "waterspot removal" products. In my case I`d probably use ValuGard`s "B".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information