Post Thanks / Like

Aluminum Polishing

I have untreated rims on my Jeep and over time they have become dull. So I took it upon myself to polish them. This was after I looked all over the local area to see if anyone did metal polishing.

I used a high speed buffer at 3400 RPM and a buffing bob. The polish was by Zephyr. I have attached a pic to give you an idea of what it looked like after.

I am now thinking that I will offer this as a extra service at a additional cost. Seems to be a niche in my area.

I'm just a man.
    Post Thanks / Like
    that looks great! a few questions if you don`t mind. First off what kind of buffer/buffer pad did you use? I am always using 8" pads and i have a hard time imagining getting that into a wheel. Also can you tell a little more about Zephyr? Where can i get it and so forth?
    The Koop Is BIZZZAAAK

Post Thanks / Like
    KOOP

I used a cotton round polishing bob. You might be able to get them threw the sponsor of this site. It was a hard round cylinder style about half the size of a soda can.
    The polish you can get threw this site and its about the best that I have used. Goes on easy and wipes real clean. To remove any smears I used a bit of paint thinner and then rubbed it off with baking soda. I learned this from a guy that has a polish shop in Orgeon. Works like a charm with little effort.

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.tptools.com/

I looked and they do not have the typr of cotton bobs that I used. Tbis link will take you to where you can see what it looks like. They are way cool and easy to use.

Look for the Cotton Goblet Buffs they come in all sizes and shapes for the hard to get at places. I also brough a extention rod that allowed me to be 8 inches away from the wheel at all times so not bumping the rim.

I used a Hatachi high speed buffer at 3400 rpms

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aluminum Polishing

Originally posted by Beemerboy
    I have untreated rims on my Jeep and over time they have become dull. So I took it upon myself to polish them. This was after I looked all over the local area to see if anyone did metal polishing.

I used a high speed buffer at 3400 RPM and a buffing bob. The polish was by Zephyr. I have attached a pic to give you an idea of what it looked like after.

I am now thinking that I will offer this as a extra service at a additional cost. Seems to be a niche in my area.
    Very very nice.....

Zephyr Pro 40 Perfection has been a little secret of mine for a while now...

looks like the secret is out.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beemerboy:
    The wheels look great.
    I once polished a set of bare aluminum wheels and can`t imagine anyone doing it more than once. If my car would not have looked so dumb with 1 shiny and 3 dull wheels, I would never have done the other three. For me to do it, the extra cost would be $100 per wheel, nah, $150 per wheel. :p

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks

But with the high speed buffer and the key is those cotton bobs the work was a breeze, I`m no work horse..LOL

Jayhawk fan.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have been wanting to get some bobs like these for a long time now. I dont understand one thing, I thought the mandrel was a 1/4" like it ought to fit into a drill. Isnt that how you use these? How did you get this to fit onto your buffer?

John

Post Thanks / Like
    John,

I got mine from a local supplier in Sonoma County. You have to buy the spindle that holds the bob, and he had the adaptors for the buffer. It converts the bit itnot a threaded one the fits thr buffer. You can e-mail me and I will be happy to help where I can.

I have plenty of time on my hands as its not stoped raining for the last week.

Post Thanks / Like

Maintaining bare aluminum wheels is easy compared to this at-least you can get to the wheels.
    I discovered a polish that makes the aluminum stay looking good much longer but I`m reluctant to talk about it because none of the sponsors carry it but they should because it is awesome.
    After a 10 year search for the ultimate aluminum polish I feel like I have found it.

"Luck" Residue of design tuscarora dave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

WOW!!! That looks very nice Bart.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    WOW!!! That looks very nice Bart.
    Thanks Dave I think those who think keeping wheels polished is a job have not yet tried a real challenge at polishing aluminum.

Thread Information