Post Thanks / Like

How Do I Clean A Headliner?

I`ve always heard that you can`t saturate a headliner with water because the fabric will loosen and droop. Years ago, when I had a 1988 Grand Marquis, I tried to clean a stain off of the headliner. I sprayed just a little cleaner (I don`t remember what) onto a cloth and started dabbing.

Well, the cleaner was still too wet, and the headliner immediately came loose from the roof and started drooping.

Now I have a 2004 Grand Marquis with a light tan interior. If I get a stain on the headliner (it will most likely happen from passengers using the handgrips), how can I remove the stain without damaging my headliner?

Thanks,
    Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How Do I Clean A Headliner?

The FIRST thing you should try is a vacuum with the crevice attachment (maximum suction) because 90% of the time, the headliners are just heavily dust covered and a god vacuum will fix the problem.

On headliners themselves, I use TUFF STUFF Foam cleaner. I spray a small amount ON A LIGHTLY DAMP RAG (wring the rag out REALLY well), NOT THE HEADLINER. and gently `wipe` the area, not letting the rag sit in one area too long so the headliner can`t soak up a lot of moisture and droop.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: How Do I Clean A Headliner?

try the mr. clean magic eraser. works wonders on headliners and removes wax off of texured trim!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bluesky
    try the mr. clean magic eraser. works wonders on headliners and removes wax off of texured trim!
    Wow, I like using the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser in the house. This should be perfect for the headliner! Thanks, I`ve added to your reputation for giving such a great answer.

Charles

I'm back YIPEE Refreshed! The Chee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: How Do I Clean A Headliner?

I just used poorboy`s bio-degradable degreaser and cleaner a couple of minutes ago. Not sure what those are, they looked like rust spots on the headliner :dunno :dunno . Anyway I used green mf applicator pad and sprayed some cleaner on the pad, rub for less than a minute. wallah all gone. Love this stuff. Steve thanks for throwing this in my last order, please don`t stop making this .

here`s some pics, please do excuse the out of focus pics as I just bought the cam two days ago, haven`t really played with it. 2nd pic is macro shot (should have done the same for the first pic, doh!! :brick )
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A man has got to recognize his limitations, and then learn how to adapt within those confines. Then go out and conquer.

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

I`ll second Don`s 2 recommendations. First vacuum first. As he noted, this may allow you to forgo the decision making of which (or what type) cleaner to use altogether.

Secondly, the use of a foam based cleaner. I haven`t used Tuff Stuff specifically, and I don`t dampen my towel. I do however find the cleaning action of the foam cleaners allow for good cleaning action without over wetting the surface.

Alas, unlike The Chee, I don`t have any of PB`s APC so I can`t speak for it, but as with all of Steve`s product line, I`m certain it is first rate.

Post Thanks / Like

I learned this on another site but is along the lines of what Don is doing. Start with a good vac I use a brush attachment on mine this loosens up the dirt fairly well. I use a APC cleaner on a white cotton towel just barely damp with water. I then spray the APC on the towel and wipe the headliner gently. This seems to lift most all stuff that is on the liner. If there is an area that harder to get out I use a little more time on that area with jsut a bit more APC. I have lifted ink with great sucess this way and have not ever had a problem with the headliner looseing up!
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Thread Information