Thread: Polishing roof

Post Thanks / Like

Polishing roof

Am i getting annoying? sorry if i am but you guys r so helpful Another question, for a truck or a big car do you guys polish the roof? Answer honestly and if u do what do u use to get yourself on a higher level, like a little stair?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polishing roof

Look up a Werner work platform or something similar. I just stand on the door sill.

Post Thanks / Like

Do not take shortcuts. The customer is not stupid. I had a customer feel the roof before to see if I waxed it. If you want to set a good name for yourself and run an honest business then you WILL do that roof.
    Get your shine on!

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I always make the roof look as good as all the rest of the vehicle, and make sure the Client sees the work.

In my humble opinion, the Roof needs the work more than any other part of the vehicle, because it is out there, getting hammered with crap from the sky and all the sunlight.

Now, not long ago, I read that some Detailers do NOT do the roof, in an effort to save the Client some $$$. And apparently, some Clients will allow that...

There are these Aluminum, folding 3 step stools at Home Depot and also the Werner Platform. I think the folding 3-step stools are taller than the Werner, so you need to check it out and see what works best for your needs. I have both because it works better to have an option than to not have one...

Now, if you end up getting something like these, you must always make sure that it is not placed close enough to the side of the vehicle so that it might scratch the vehicle, and get you in deep sheet, ok ???

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    I always make the roof look as good as all the rest of the vehicle, and make sure the Client sees the work.

In my humble opinion, the Roof needs the work more than any other part of the vehicle, because it is out there, getting hammered with crap from the sky and all the sunlight.

Now, not long ago, I read that some Detailers do NOT do the roof, in an effort to save the Client some $$$. And apparently, some Clients will allow that...

There are these Aluminum, folding 3 step stools at Home Depot and also the Werner Platform. I think the folding 3-step stools are taller than the Werner, so you need to check it out and see what works best for your needs. I have both because it works better to have an option than to not have one...

Now, if you end up getting something like these, you must always make sure that it is not placed close enough to the side of the vehicle so that it might scratch the vehicle, and get you in deep sheet, ok ???

Dan F

Thank You!!

Post Thanks / Like

Do the roof first and get it out of the way then you wont have to worry about it later
    Official Selected Team Member of the Air Force One Detailing Team
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE-8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

I do the roof this way in most cases.

1. Stand on the sills with the door open, one at a time.
    2. Open sunroof, polish with me standing through the sunroof. (Note: USE COMMON SENSE on foot placement!)
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.

Post Thanks / Like

If it`s painted and part of the car then it`s treated the same as any other part of the car. Only a hack would think of not polishing or treating the roof ( a part maybe you don`t see as much) with less care.

Sorry to sound hard on this, but it`s a pet peeve
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

i agree. i do the roof as well. i dont use a polisher so i just do it by hand..but i like the open the sunroof idea-very clever..and the roof is probably the most important part to protect in my opinion...

just look at a car that has paint fading away and i`d bet you it`s on the roof, hood, or trunk lid- so i`d see those parts as very important

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    i agree. i do the roof as well. i dont use a polisher so i just do it by hand..but i like the open the sunroof idea-very clever..and the roof is probably the most important part to protect in my opinion...

just look at a car that has paint fading away and i`d bet you it`s on the roof, hood, or trunk lid- so i`d see those parts as very important
    your right... and i do like the stand through sun roof idea..

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve done the sun-roof trick plenty of times. I`m not exactly the tallest so, reaching comfortably is always a process. It will give you far better control instead of leaning over to one side.

Note: WATCH FOR SLING! Polishes don`t like interiors. (Again use common sense)
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    I do the roof this way in most cases.

1. Stand on the sills with the door open, one at a time.
    2. Open sunroof, polish with me standing through the sunroof. (Note: USE COMMON SENSE on foot placement!)
    Pretty much how I do it. Also, on a pickup truck, standing in the rear bed can be useful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Polish the roof ???

Not any more ! I only detail my personal cars and like using wax. But I always hate prepping and polishing the roof for a new wax on my SUV, Plus, you can`t see it anyway.

Its always the worse part of the job. I have the Werner platform and I still hate it.

So, I polished it that one last time and OptiCoated it. Now, I`ll never have to polish or wax that roof again. I plan on doing the same things with the bumpers, as I hate having to deal with those when I want to try a new wax.

Yes, you should treat the roof like any other part of the car. But you can polish and prep it one last time and OC it. That way, all you ever have to do is wash and clay it. Also, it will take you less time to wax, and you can still try different waxes if you enjoy that.

Thread Information