Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

It`s all about the details

There is so much focus on the polishing of paint that I feel other aspects of detailing get downplayed. It is apparent by the numerous posts with questions about polishing that it appears to be an overwhelming and daunting task to achieve perfect paint. But detailing is about, well… the details. Hopefully this post will serve to aid new detailers and DIYers to understand the importance of the little details. I also hope it will help educate the non-autopians about the difference between a “car wash & wax” and a “detail” and why there is such a wide variance in the prices.

There really is nothing spectacular about this detail. It was just an All-In-One polish to clean and protect the paint. The owner is, self-admittedly, lazy when caring for the car. He understands the risks of mechanical and touchless car washes but is realistic in knowing there will be times when he will take the shortcut. That being the case it was decided that the effort and cost of doing any correction would be wasted. This is a level of detail that can be done by hand by anyone and create significant results.

It was not until near the end of the detail that I planned this write up so I did not document every issue with before photos to show the difference. This customer first contacted me a year ago. The car was in need of a detail then. Add another year of neglect and you can use a little imagination to fill in the blanks.

Before we begin it should be noted that all surfaces should be cool to the touch. Hot surfaces can cause some chemicals to become more potent, causing permanent damage. Also make sure rotors are not hot before spraying cold water on them. The rapid cooling can cause rotors to warp.

I begin with the tires and wheels. Notice the brown of old, silicone tire dressings that retain dirt and the “blooming” of the tire.

The process for the tires was spray with strong APC, dwell, scrub, spray again, scrub, rinse, spray with APC again, scrub, rinse. That took care of any dressing. Then a wheel and tire cleaner was sprayed and allowed to dwell. The brown could still be seen dripping off. After a scrub and final rinse I dried a tire to get a true look at it.

A wet tire will look good but will show its true condition again once dry. Many times people take the short cut and simply cover up the remaining grime with a dressing. Looks good until the dressing wears off again. This is the result after applying Optimum Opti-Bond mixed 1:1. Wheel wells were cleaned and plastic parts dressed with Meguiar’s Hyper Dressing 4:1. Wheels were finished with Opti-Seal.

Moving on to the wheels I sprayed with PoorBoy’s World Spray & Rinse Wheel Cleaner. After dwelling I agitated with Wheel Woolies and a small detail brush for lug nut recesses. There was still some bonded contamination so I sprayed a little IronX on and let it dwell, then agitated with the Wheel Woolies. In all over an hour was spent on the wheels and tires.

The next step was the engine bay. I always do this before washing the rest of the car to avoid having to rewash. This was just a quick cleaning to get rid of the thick layer of pollen. Dressed with Meguiar’s Hyper Dressing 4:1.

The front bumper was a mass grave for bugs.

I treated the front bumper and side mirrors with Poorboy’s World Bug Squash, first at 3:1, then full strength when the diluted solution proved insufficient.

The car was then foamed with a heavy dose of Chemical Guy’s Citrus Wash & Gloss and allowed to dwell to cut through the grime. A thorough rinse then a standard two bucket wash. Areas like behind the fuel door, side mirror housings, roof rails, drip rails, seams, etc. were cleaned with a small boars hair brush.

Some areas were then pre-treated with IronX such as the rear bumper and license plate alcove.

The whole car was then clayed (Speedy Prep Towel) and IronX applied to the whole car. Even after claying this is what IronX was still working on.

Particularly effective for areas not accessible with clay.

I then dealt with a few problem areas with Optimum Power Clean. This wax was caked on in the door handle recess. Probably had been there for 2+ years.

The door lock was caked with grime. I wish I had gotten a before pic. Optimum Power Clean, a stiff nylon brush and steam were required to get it clean. Also note how clean the groove is next to the door handle. It was a light brown, even after the wash. A little attention with the AIO brought it back to bright white.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: It`s all about the details

After more than 3 hours for the wash and decontamination process I moved on to the polishing. The bulk of it went quick and easy. It is all the little details that take time.

The hood ornament. Note the brown ring of the recess. That is what the door handle had.

Areas like this can be done by simply folding a MF towel but my secret is an old gift card with the towel folded over it. Softer than a credit card, it allows me to bend it to conform to any curves I am trying to access.

Here is a small 50/50 of the rear emblem. Once again from a light brown surrounding the 5 to bright white surrounding the d.

Any areas that would be visible from the outside were polished including, but not limited to:

The edges of the hood,

The often very dirty area covered by the closed trunk lid,

The overhang of the license plate alcove,

The gap between the body panels and the headlight housing,

The door jams, (only the very edges were actually polished as it was an exterior detail only)

Rocker panels,

Underside of the rear bumper,

As well as many areas on the front bumper, including the signature kidney grill. Lower grill was dressed with Meguiar`s Hyper Dressing @ 3:1, allowed to dry, then the excess that dripped was cleaned off with ONR.

The drip rails, up to the edges of all trim and numerous other seems were also hand polished, mostly using the card.

The exhaust tips were typical.

I found another use for the PoorBoy’s World Spray & Rinse Wheel Cleaner. It was very effective on these tips with a little agitation. Only the very worst parts required a bit of metal polish & super fine steel wool. Fortunately these were a brushed finish rather than polished so they were a little easier.

Also note the bright white of the edge of the bumper surrounding the tip.

Windshield wiper arms protected with Opti-Seal. Textured plastic cowl dressed with Ultima Tire & Trim Guard.

Glass was protected with BlackFire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection.

No detail is too small. It takes time and focus. In all, the car took about 7 ½ hours. Almost as much time was spent on the little details as the machine polishing with Optimum Poli-Seal.

The car is now worthy of the color name “Alpine White”.

I hope you have enjoyed and learned at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent work and well said.

Post Thanks / Like

Loved this write up and pics. It`s amazing how much attention to detail a detailer makes. Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

The title says it all. Great writeup and detail!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent work Chris !!!
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic work!

Post Thanks / Like

one should be paid proper for that kinda attention to detail. great job.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the write-up.....

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, all. I`m glad you enjoyed.

I find it is hard to explain what all goes into a detail. The visual is really so much better. For those who aren`t experienced, this write up really only scratches the surface of the details that we deal with every day.

Sometimes the simple stuff just isn`t discussed enough and the newbies get too caught up in the advanced stuff and want to skip over the bread and butter.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed!! Awesome write up...

Post Thanks / Like

I couldnt agree more. Theres a whole lot more to a detail than paint correction, and even though I love those write ups as much as the next guy, there is so much more to a vehicle that rarely gets discussed. I personally think noobs especially would benefit just as much from seeing how the pros turn around a trashed interior, how they safely clean an engine, or things of that sort. The basic stuff to a seasoned pro can seem like a major task to someone without a lot of experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great. White offers a few challenges.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

superb write up, many thanks for sharing

Post Thanks / Like

Chris very nice work! if you don`t mind me asking what do you do for cleaning around the badges like the 50/50 shot you showed the 5d?
    Official Selected Team Member of the Air Force One Detailing Team
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE-8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information