Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Issues with Plastidip Removal

Hey everyone,

Hope someone can help me out with some plastidip removal tips. I actually have quite a lot of experience with it, but I`ve never had this bad of a removal. Normally I just peel it off and it comes off in sheets, but it looks like I have thin layers because when I pulled them off my wheels, I have spots of it all over the place.

Anticipating this before I peeled the plastidip off, I had my go to products ready: 3M adhesive remover and goo gone.

Neither seem to be working well in helping remove the plastidip though and it`s taking me hours to remove the damn stuff. Unfortunately, I don`t have a car jack, but I really wish I did right now.

Anyone got any tips they`d like to share with me? I could really use some help especially for the barrels of the wheels.

Thanks!

P.S. I know of the method of removal that is applying more plastidip and then removing it all in one swoop when it is a bigger layer, but that won`t help because the overspray hits the barrels and it gets all over the place causing thin layers in the barrels... which then take forever to get off. So that`s not a method I want to try again.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Issues with Plastidip Removal

Heat gun? Hair dryer?
    Get your shine on!

Opti Coat Pro Certified Orinda Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Laquer thinner? if that doesn`t work I`d go with sand paper to scuff it off then just polish the wheel. Hope it helps

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, this is strange. Had to remove some off my hood once since the can spray was HORRIBLE. Good Gone seemed to do the trick very well for me. Seems maybe the surface was contaminated before you applied the plasti dip and that`s possibly making it really stick to the paint. I would see if someone from plasti dio customer service could help you out.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m curious, by any chance was it a color besides black? The blue and red I`ve tried both were horrible out of a spray can.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TacoHerder View Post
    I`m curious, by any chance was it a color besides black? The blue and red I`ve tried both were horrible out of a spray can.
    white... and yeah I think black is the only good plastidip product. White is very VERY finnicky and has to be laid extremely thin which is very hard to do for some reason with the white. The black plastidip is much much easier to use imo and much easier to take off as well!

Have extensive experience with both.

I will try some of these suggestions in this thread and update asap. Thanks everyone

Post Thanks / Like

I`m having the same issue on my wife`s rims. Most of it came off easily with the power washer but the thinner spots are a huge PITA!!! I`m definitely interested in hearing what works for you. I`m going to try to break out the heat gun and possibly some 000 or 0000 steel wool.

Post Thanks / Like

Alright guys got it fixed. Actually what worked was what I originally was using: adhesive remover.

The difference was I borrowed a jack and took the wheels off. Being able to get in all the crevices without difficulty and the wheel barrels made a huge difference to effectiveness of the adhesive remover. However, all in all it did take me over 3 hours for all 4 wheels, so what a PITA.

A pressure washer was helpful in removing stuff on the face of the wheel, but not in the wheel barrels... which is where the adhesive remover really shined.

The wheels look great now and are plastidip free, but sorry no pics because it`s raining outside and really dark.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad ya got it off. When I did my hood with the blue it kept splattering everywhere and not laying down flat. I was at work and couldnt leave... So I spent about an hour rubbing it off with my palms until they were too raw. I went into our kitchen at work and found some goo gone. Poured it on and the plasti dip came right off. I was beyond mad that it took me so long to look for an easier alternative I still got the black on my car I painted on 6 months ago, stuff holds up if you apply it properly.

Post Thanks / Like

Xylene eats Plasti-Dip. It is very strong, so be sure to do a test spot so you don`t harm the original surface. I had some B-Pillars coated with Plasti-Dip and could not get it off by sanding. Used the Xylene and it took the PD off and the underlying paint as well. On wheels just brushed it on and let sit 1-2 minutes then remove with paper towel.
    Likes Swanicyouth liked this post
    Thanks Swanicyouth thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Just be a bit careful about Xylene exposure (not that I`m all that paranoid about [nasty materials] in general).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrispyGP2001 View Post
    Xylene eats Plasti-Dip. It is very strong, so be sure to do a test spot so you don`t harm the original surface. I had some B-Pillars coated with Plasti-Dip and could not get it off by sanding. Used the Xylene and it took the PD off and the underlying paint as well. On wheels just brushed it on and let sit 1-2 minutes then remove with paper towel.
    What is up with all these dead thread bumps?

Just use Goo Gone or Optimum Power Clean. Both turn Plasti-dip into a liquid.
    2006 Saleen S281 Supercharged - Black

Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hey CrispyGP2001, if you wish to discuss the topics discussed in these old threads, please begin a new thread discussing your viewpoints. Many of the forum members involved in the threads you have recently resurrected no longer frquent the forum. It is most often beneficial to keep information fresh. New threads allow people involved in the thread to respond to one another and keep the topic going. It just makes better reading. Please read your PM`s.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes XxBoostinxX liked this post
    Thanks rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

^ You shouldn`t be chastised for bumping old threads. The contribution was well thought out and well spoken. I dunno.

****please support trans-species humans.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    ^ You shouldn`t be chastised for bumping old threads. The contribution was well thought out and well spoken. I dunno.

****please support trans-species humans.
    Agreed, not meaning to chastise anyone here Swanicyouth. I just know that fresh threads have much better chance of relevant conversation from those who have posted in the thread. Old threads are great as a source of information but most often don`t end up having those who were involved in the conversation responding to new posts.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information