Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Ozone Generators

So I bought an ozone generator from ebay and I just recieved it. I tried it in my room and my car. After it`s done and you walk in the room or sit in the car, the smell is horrible. Is this normal? What do you guys do?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ozone Generators

Ozone does have a rather sharp or pungent smell. It is however, usually short lived. I have seen metal that has been oxidized in an ozone rich environment and it does smell bad for extended periods. I`m no chemist but it seems to live on in the rust.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

I used to have one and it done the same thing. Almost smelled like chlorine. Like GH said, it didnt last long, but it was definitely there. I always let the client know before hand that it was gonna smell strange for a few days, but it would eventually go away. Most of the time they agreed but still complained about the smell. I need to get another one to take care of mildew, mold, smoke, etc when needed. They do serve a good purpose.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an ozone machine and actually like the smell of it.It smells natural to me ,like something of nature!

Goes to show how different we can be!

My manual does say if you can smell it ,you need to air the space out or use fans and open windows because its toxic to breathe .

I dont know if all ozone machines puts out the same smell.

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t know about Ozone being toxic, but it can cause headaches for people when exposed to high concentrations and/or extended periods. I also like the smell of Ozone. Reminds me of a thunderstorm. But a lot of people don`t like it, even in small concentrations. I had my car treated with Ozone a couple years ago. (Had a 12 pack of Pepsi explode in the car after sitting all day in 100+ degrees. That was fun!) The smell was really strong for a day or so, then took about 3 days to go away completely. I would simply recommend customers wait 24 hours before driving the vehicle. At least let them know the smell is normal and will dissipate in a few days.

Post Thanks / Like

We were told avoid exposure for prolonged amounts of time and wait 24 hours before renting rooms we used it in. RainbowAir makes some really good units, we used them to convert smoking rooms into non-smoking rooms & for mildewed rooms while doing maintenance at a local hotel.

One thing I noticed upon re-entry of the room was a mild chemical-like odor upon re-entry, and in standing in the room for a few minutes to determine if the odor was vanquished, my eyeballs & mouth started drying out.

If I recall, the one time it didn`t work was treating a room a guest occupied for like 10 days and left their dog inside... which did it`s business on/in the carpet. They had a professional carpet guy come in 2x, we tried the ozonator 3x to no avail. We literally had to remove the padding and carpet, then treat the slab several times with bleach & Fabuloso to get rid of the stench.

I definitely can`t afford one for detailing yet, so I`m hoping the MyTee Lite II extractor I put on law-a-way at a pawn shop will remove most vehicle odors.
    Running down a dream...

Post Thanks / Like

Ozone can have bad side effects on the lungs or people with respiratory problems like asthma.
    2-Health Effects of Ozone : OSH Answers

I would be really cautious
    using this on customers vehicles.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been reading (thats dangerous in itself) about ozone generators and another system by Drivepur. Has anyone on the forum tried the Drivepur system and if so what are your thoughts ? I was looking at this product in the 32oz bottles and maybe a Tornador Black to apply it. I was trying to avoid the cost of a good ozone machine and from adding another large machine to lug around.
    Paul Sparks

Distinctive Auto Detailing

Indianapolis IN 46234

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Distin...70659146390192

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t get why anyone would want to have one (after reading all of this) over a regular generator? Why not just buy a regular generator and not breathe toxic fumes? Am I missing something here???
    Get your shine on!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Addicted2Bling View Post
    I don`t get why anyone would want to have one (after reading all of this) over a regular generator? Why not just buy a regular generator and not breathe toxic fumes? Am I missing something here???
    The ozone machine is used to get rid of bad odors not as a source of power.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it is OZONE that is being generated, not electricity. Different things entirely.
    Connor Harrison Detailing
    Facebook!

Inspection > Correction > Protection

Post Thanks / Like

Using ozone requires the same common sense that using wheel acid and strong degreasers require. You cant run ozone through a car and just hand it back to a customer and tell them to hold their breath for the first couple of hours. They need to air out first. They are excellent machines when used properly, but misuse can lead to the troubles stated earlier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean81 View Post
    Using ozone requires the same common sense that using wheel acid and strong degreasers require. You cant run ozone through a car and just hand it back to a customer and tell them to hold their breath for the first couple of hours. They need to air out first. They are excellent machines when used properly, but misuse can lead to the troubles stated earlier.
    I agree! Refer to the owners manual for safety guidelines .

Post Thanks / Like

Drivepur...$2000.000 for start up, cost about $15.00 to treat 1 vehicle, 32oz, bottles no longer availabe. only gallons for $45.00.plenty other options available for way less money. check out topoftheline.com go to odor removal. I`ve been using this system for about 6 months, works great, cost about $2.00 to treat 1 vehicle, can do 3 vehicles at a time in about 20 minutes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RSAV View Post
    Drivepur...$2000.000 for start up, cost about $15.00 to treat 1 vehicle, 32oz, bottles no longer available. only gallons for $45.00.plenty other options available for way less money. check out topoftheline.com go to odor removal. I`ve been using this system for about 6 months, works great, cost about $2.00 to treat 1 vehicle, can do 3 vehicles at a time in about 20 minutes.
    Two thousand is w/fogger correct ? I was curious about using a Tonador instead. As for 32 oz bottles , salesman offered me that or 8 oz sample. Would that be up to the individual sales person or sales district ?
    Paul Sparks

Distinctive Auto Detailing

Indianapolis IN 46234

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Distin...70659146390192

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information