Post Thanks / Like

MOSS - getting rid of it!

I live in the Pacific Northwest and due to the damp weather at least 9 or more months out of the year moss can grow on cars left outdoors except all over not just on the north side like trees.

Many cars I have seen have moss on the edges of the exterior portions of the door seals, around mirrors, anywhere where there are tight seams.

I got in an S-10 Xtreme pickup that has half inch thick green moss growing on the edges of the fiberglass body kit pieces. I have never seen anything like it.

OKAY I`LL GET TO THE QUESTION: How is moss best removed from seams, rubber window edge seals and in this case body kit seams? I use commercial bleach based products on my driveway but I would not use it on door and window seams and definitely not a body kit seams/edges. I have used all sorts of commercial cleaners with no luck, the yellow green moss/mold still remains especially on rubber. HELP! I have not tried any biodegradable product like Simple Green or Bio-Green Clean but figured if harsher chemicals don`t work they probably won`t either.

P.S. It will soon be pollen season here and pollen sticks just like moss to all the same areas of cars that I mentioned.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: MOSS - getting rid of it!

i live in oregon and feel your pain. i usually use a diluted apc, agitate it some and then pressure wash. it is a pain to protect the interior but it is the way to get rid of the moss. i especially love hatchbacks and suvs.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Im in Bellevue, WA., just a little ways from Seattle, and totally on board with you regarding the moss and mold that grows on all vehicles left outside for at least 1 year.

I like to use an apc, then follow up with my Steamer to kill it, then pressure wash it completely away from all seals, window to door seals, at the hood hinges, and of course that all time farm for all living compost, etc., the trunk lid jamb that runs from the top of the lid down past the tail lights.

It can get really embedded, that`s for sure, but it does release with the methods I use.

Not much can be done to keep it from coming back, short of keeping the vehicle in a garage as much as possible..

If you are close by me, I would be glad to help you out..

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I have no experience with this product, but have read many times of the years on this subject that Amazing Roll Off is product that will remove, algae and moss on cars.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    I have no experience with this product, but have read many times of the years on this subject that Amazing Roll Off is product that will remove, algae and moss on cars.
    I`ve got mixed feelings about ARO. Yeah, it cleans tires, whitewalls and wells nicely, but no better than other less expensive products, IMO. AFA mold and algae removal, I found it disappointing, especially considering that`s touted as one of it`s prime uses. Sprayed down some white plastic patio furniture before storing it for the winter and 1:1 didn`t touch the gunk. Full strength was equally disappointing. I ended up using Bleche White 1:1 and that took care of it.

Interestingly, Westley`s BW and ARO have a similar appearance and smell. Bleche White is a much more caustic formula though. You don`t want to get it on uncoated aluminum or you`ll be in for a lot of polishing.

As for mold, mildew and moss on other than car surfaces, I used a product called Wet and Forget on the black algae streaks on my shingles. Works as advertised! It also works well on patios, concrete and dechs,

Welcome to Wet & Forget

TL

Post Thanks / Like

APC, Powerwasher and a good old scrubbing.

Thread Information