Post Thanks / Like
    This weekend, I participated in a 175 mile Corvette Cruise. Unfortunately, it rained. This was the first time I had the car in the rain. Since the cruise route was basically a back roads affair (all paved, but muddy), the car came in extremely dirty.

Let me know if the steps I took to bring it back to square were OK. Here are the high spots:

1. Jack up car and remove wheels

2. Flush wheelwells and suspension parts with water

3. Spray tires with tire cleaner

4. Spray wheelwells and suspension parts with full strength Simple Green while tires soak.

5. Brush and flush tires while wheelwells soak. Wash front and back of wheels with old wash mit and dedicated wash solution.

6. Brush wheelwells and suspension parts with long handled brush

7. Flush wheelwells with water

8. Flush body work from top down, keeping water spray at an angle

9. Spray really grungy body panels with car wash / water solution. Let soak a few minutes, but not dry out.

10. Flush body panels from top down, keeping water spray at an angle. At this point, the car is just a little cloudy, but no big stuff on the surface that would cause major damage.

11. Wash from top down using the "two bucket method", flushing each panel as it`s washed.

12. Remove bulk of water on surface with Water Blade, then wipe dry with 100% cotton towel.

13. Put wheels back on, torque to spec, lower car, and admire the shine.

:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    You nailed it.... good job!

A couple years ago I went on a country tour through the highlands of San Diego. The tour took us off road, which included going through streams, mud and such. It was great! The car was a mess, but it cleaned up just fine. Some people backed out and they missed out on the fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    ThumbsUp I`d say you`re going to feel right at home around here. Good job on your `vette. Taking the wheels off really shows your dedication.

Do you do the final rinse after washing without a nozzle? I was just thinking with the size of your car using 1/2 to full flow without a nozzle on the end of the hose should make your car sheet off most of the water. Doing this on my crewcab long bed I`m able to dry the whole truck with one bath size cotton towel.

That would likely eliminate the need to use the water blade thereby eliminating the potential for debris getting on the blade and causing a scratch.

Looking forward to your participation! :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve never been able to get good sheeting action. It must be in technique.

Post Thanks / Like
    Water blades..:scared. Like Short Cut mentioned try rinsing without the nozzle. As a matter of fact I wash without the nozzle for the whole procedure. When I dry my triple black Z28 I use the P21S drying rag and blotch dry the paint and top and follow with a 100% cotton ( white ) towel on the paint. On the top I also use a very small cell sponge to clean in order to not leave any material on the carvas. Isn`t detailing fun!!
    What paint protection do you use?
    http://www.autopia-carport.com/forum...=&postid=47534
    We are still waiting for a picture of that Vette..

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been a Zaino user for years. However, the whole discussion over on CorvetteForum.com that landed me on this site was my dislike for the way the car looks in bright sunlight. It lacks depth and color. It`s "edgy". In indirect light or on cloudy days, it looks fantastic. I think it actually is too shiny and reflective. The color is gone.

I`ve been told to use Z5 exclusively and to stay away from the Z2 for a black car. I love the protection the magic Z gives, but this lack of color depth just bothers me.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll snap a pic this evening and post.

Post Thanks / Like
    You may benefit from switching to Klasse. It will enhance the color of dark car, give your paint great protection and you can top it with quality carnauba wax for added depth. Many people here use it for those reasons with great success.

Zaino is a great product, but IMO looks better on light metallic colors.

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel your pain about lack of color on certain days and at certain angles. Unfortunately this is due to Z`s reflectivity and optical purity expressed by black paint. At certain angles black appear to reflect the sky which is light ( like a mirror ) making the paint less intense. Sometimes perfection can be a fault. Nevertheless, most angles and time of day Z looks great deep and flawless on black.

Post Thanks / Like

VIDEO: Opti Coat Application

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3UwcGhrfqk]YouTube - OptiCoatApp.AVI[/ame]

I will try to do a black or dark color car soon so that you can see more of the flashing effect, but this video will give you an idea of how I apply Opti Coat with great results.

Sent from my iPad 2 viaTapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    glad to see this
    Doing it BIG!

Thread Information