Post Thanks / Like

How to remove highway line paint?

I have a car to work on this week that has a massive amount of white line paint on the lower part of the car. Fenderwells are covered as well as the rocker panels and even the tires have some on them. This paint is very thick and hard (been on for a couple of months) so clay won`t begin to touch this stuff. I have used a plastic scraper or razor blade in this past but this was for much smaller amounts. Any tips would be appreciated. I`ll post some pictures as soon as I can. Thank you, Dan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan O View Post
    I have a car to work on this week that has a massive amount of white line paint on the lower part of the car. Fenderwells are covered as well as the rocker panels and even the tires have some on them. This paint is very thick and hard (been on for a couple of months) so clay won`t begin to touch this stuff. I have used a plastic scraper or razor blade in this past but this was for much smaller amounts. Any tips would be appreciated. I`ll post some pictures as soon as I can. Thank you, Dan.
    I was working at a Ford dealership and had the same problem with a truck that was traded in. I used everything.....clay, plastic razor blades, acetone, ect. Ended up sanding and repainting. Fenderwells were easy. Just painted with black spray paint. If anyone else has a better way, please chime in.

TOGWT
    Double post

TOGWT
    Road Paint ?

Is very high in solids and more like an adhesive than paint; remove with 3M Adhesive Remover or a 3M Eraser wheel or wet-sanding with 2000 - 2500 grit finishing paper and a Unigrit block.

Lay the smooth side of the wipe over the contamination to saturate the surface. Let it sit for about one minute to soften the paint. Use the textured side of a new wipe and rub vigorously. Use firm pressure and a lot of action. Particularly difficult cases may take a second application. Once you have removed the road paint, wash off the chemical with shampoo or glass cleaner.

A quick spot polish should bring back the original shine. (Do not use on paint jobs less than 90 days old)The same technique can be used for old tar removal. If the first application doesn`t remove it completely, apply a new wipe and repeat the process.

Product specific - Road Paint Remover (wipes) ? TOTL

An extract from one of a series of 110 in-depth, unbiased ?Detailing Technical Papers? ? TOGWT ? Ltd Copyright 2002-2009, all rights reserved.
    These papers will enable direct access to five decades of detailing knowledge and experience

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry I was not able to get any pictures but I ended up using Stoners Tarmigator and a plastic scraper. It took about 4 hours to remove all of it. Had to remove the tires to make it easier, also used Tarmigator and a small brass brush to remove paint off of the tires. On the painted parts of the car I was able to spray, let dwell for about a minute and wipe with a rag. On the plastic parts I sprayed it, let it dwell and scraped. I was able to remove 100% of the line paint with just a slight amount of marring on the painted surfaces, which was buffed out later.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a lot of success with the clay bar. Clay bar works great, i love that stuff...

Post Thanks / Like
    This highway paint is nasty. From what I can tell it`s more like an epoxy than a paint. I have used Auto Magic New Car Solvent with great results in the past, followed by claying. You can also try a bug and tar remover probably on one of your shelves at home. If you need some New Car Solvent I have a half gallon left and could send you some. I let a foam pad soak it up and scrub away at the paint until it is gone. Wash the area, and then clay to remove what is left. You might have to polish the area to remove any light scratches but it could save you from repainting.

Post Thanks / Like
    A guy I know had this happen to him, except it was yellow. It was on the paint, running boards,tires, wheelwells and even on the wheels a little.

Very unfortunate.
    Nick
    Tucker`s Detailing Services
    2012 Ford Transit Connect
    815-954-0773

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan O View Post
    Sorry I was not able to get any pictures but I ended up using Stoners Tarmigator and a plastic scraper. It took about 4 hours to remove all of it. Had to remove the tires to make it easier, also used Tarmigator and a small brass brush to remove paint off of the tires. On the painted parts of the car I was able to spray, let dwell for about a minute and wipe with a rag. On the plastic parts I sprayed it, let it dwell and scraped. I was able to remove 100% of the line paint with just a slight amount of marring on the painted surfaces, which was buffed out later.
    I too have had pretty good success with Tarminator. Still a lot of work.. the stuff is extremely stubborn!!!!
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    This has happened to me a couple of times, use Sprayaway cement remover wipes...... still alot of work(bought mine from top of the line) but if CMA carries it obviously but it there.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did a blue Dodge Charger back in March that had the yellow road paint in the tires, fenderwells, and down the rocker panel on the driver`s side. I used Goo Gone - spray, pray, rub it in with an old sponge then scrape with a plastic razor blade (thank you Majestic Solutions), it takes time but it works. One thing - wear safety glasses, that paint popping off is not good in the ol eye!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used some purple clay (very agressive, will induce scratches) to remove it. Works great, you usually end up polishing where you use it, but it worked well, took a lot of passes though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Auto Concierge View Post
    This has happened to me a couple of times, use Sprayaway cement remover wipes...... still alot of work(bought mine from top of the line) but if CMA carries it obviously buy it there.
    Talking with Ritchie(carbone)about this the other day and he said that he appied Mineral Spirits, have not done this myself but I bought some and if this kind of problem happens again I will try it on an inconspicous area first and if I find it working good I will complete the job with this product.

The road crews must use something to remove it from the roads, but of course that is asphalt not a delicate painted surface.

Post Thanks / Like
    Man you guys are lucky, this month alone I have had to remove this junk twice. Had a lady on tuesday run through I bet 10 miles of a mixture of yellow and white paint.

I always spray it with full strength purple power and then scrape off with my finger nails. It took a little less then an hour to do all 4 wells and I charged an additional $45

Back in the day when I owned my used car get ready shop(I refuse to call these detail shops) We would tape off and spray flat black and call it fixed.

Thread Information