Post Thanks / Like

Multiple Sealant applications?

I`m relatively new to detailing, I`ve only been doing it for about a year or so. I`ve been experimenting with sealants and my latest enjoyment is coming from Four Star`s Ultimate Paint Protection.
    I was wondering if more layers would produce a noticeable better shine or would I just be wasting my time? I`m not unwilling to try it for myself I just wanted to know if anyone else has tried it because the stuff is kinda pricey haha
    fyi, I`m applying it with a Flex with a lake country finishing pad on a medium setting.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Multiple Sealant applications?

Quote Originally Posted by Cody_2ZZ View Post
    I`m relatively new to detailing, I`ve only been doing it for about a year or so. I`ve been experimenting with sealants and my latest enjoyment is coming from Four Star`s Ultimate Paint Protection.
    I was wondering if more layers would produce a noticeable better shine or would I just be wasting my time? I`m not unwilling to try it for myself I just wanted to know if anyone else has tried it because the stuff is kinda pricey haha
    fyi, I`m applying it with a Flex with a lake country finishing pad on a medium setting.
    As far as look and protection goes you will not gain much with multi coats of sealant but many will do a second coat just to be sure that they have total coverage.

I use Duragloss 105 for winter protection and only use 1 coat but after the first wash I use Aqua-wax to keep the protection at maximum.

No harm in using more but it is pretty much a waste of time and money

Post Thanks / Like

I normally do at least 2 coats, normally 3.
    It assures full coverage and I personally think it looks deeper and better.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

One thing that I forgot to point out is it depends on what product you are using because some have a mild cleaner and while applying a 2 coat you will remove part of the first coat.
    I talked to the chemist at Duragloss and he said after 2 coats you will Begin to mute the clarity.

Whatever you use 2 coats are adequate but many do like to apply multi-coats of wax but the gains are more in making them feel like they are doing something more than actually doing anything to improve the protection.

You ask about a sealant but it should be noted that if you use a wax then you will need to redo it much more often due to short life of wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by black bart View Post
    One thing that I forgot to point out is it depends on what product you are using because some have a mild cleaner and while applying a 2 coat you will remove part of the first coat.
    I talked to the chemist at Duragloss and he said after 2 coats you will Begin to mute the clarity.

Whatever you use 2 coats are adequate but many do like to apply multi-coats of wax but the gains are more in making them feel like they are doing something more than actually doing anything to improve the protection.

You ask about a sealant but it should be noted that if you use a wax then you will need to redo it much more often due to short life of wax.
    Right, when I`m using a wax I`d normally put at least 2-3 coats on for maximum coverage and because it definitely improves the depth of the shine.

After applying Four Star for one full step, I went back and touched up the bumpers and trim pieces (which are painted on my car) and it seemed to increase the shine substantially. I might just try doing the whole car again.

I really appreciate the feedback, thanks.
    2005 Corolla XRS

The Whaler Loves Detail City rabbi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have put on several coats of UPP on my cars in the past. I like the slickness it produces/produced.Try the Ultimate carwash with UPP. That`s a great combo.
    "I`m staying out of it."

Post Thanks / Like

I have been known to go to the extreme with layers. I found distinct pleasure in doing it. I do not think I added anything to enhance my look after two or three applications yet I to apply layer after layer days on end. I do think that the slickness is what I yearned for when doing multiple layers. UPP is one of those sealants that I consider to be very slick and shiny. In fact the shiniest personal used everyday vehicle I have ever seen had UPP on it. In this case UPP is a good product but the vehicle also had a great detailer/owner doing the work.
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

Post Thanks / Like

If you are planning on layering just wait 12-24 hrs between coats.
    Kurt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    I normally do at least 2 coats, normally 3.
    It assures full coverage and I personally think it looks deeper and better.
    I agree with Ron on this, you get better coverage and gain a lot more depth in the shine.

Up until I did this on my jet black BMW I was impressed with two or more coats. I noticed right away the difference
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cody_2ZZ View Post
    depends on who`s paying for the product

Post Thanks / Like

I think that two coats are needed to ensure complete coverage and three coats do more to ease your mind than anthing else...that`s what my rational mind tells me anyway.

My OCD mind however likes to recoat at lease once a week...just to be sure the finish stays 100%
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Applying 2 coats was more to insure coverage for me than anything.
    Since I usually apply more at least every 4 to 6 weeks, I guess I layer it any way.

The UPP was/is a great looking LSP with slickness second to nothing else I have used.

Charles

Thread Information