Post Thanks / Like

APC = Wonder Cleaner?

Okay, I had some goofball OTC all-purpose cleaner. I wanted to use it up so not to waste it. Well, it`s almost gone. I`ve used it for cleaning door jams, vinyl and plastic on the inside, and bug spots and various other bits on the outside.

So... what kind of APC should I be getting now? And what can/can`t I use it on?

Should I be using it on my interior vinyl and plastics? If so, I don`t want slick or shiny.

Can I use an APC on my wheels and tires?

Can I use it to remove bugs and tar?

What else?

Or should I be using specialty products for each of these applications?
    - Eric
    2002 BMW M3 `vert
    2005 VW Passat wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Re: APC = Wonder Cleaner?

I use Eimann Fabrik hi-intensity. Works good @ full strength for degreasing, and at 1:1 it`s perfect for cleaning just about everything else. I use it on wheels/tires, general pre-soak on tough spots before washing, engine bay, etc.

I haven`t used it on the interior though, for that I use Autoglym Interior Shampoo. dunno why, it`s cheap and works really well, I just feel better using a dedicated interior cleanser rather than an APC.
    2005 BMW 545i, my new baby

Dewey,Cheatem & Howe ESQ.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Marques View Post
    Okay, I had some goofball OTC all-purpose cleaner. I wanted to use it up so not to waste it. Well, it`s almost gone. I`ve used it for cleaning door jams, vinyl and plastic on the inside, and bug spots and various other bits on the outside.

So... what kind of APC should I be getting now? And what can/can`t I use it on?

Should I be using it on my interior vinyl and plastics? If so, I don`t want slick or shiny.

Can I use an APC on my wheels and tires?

Can I use it to remove bugs and tar?

What else?

Or should I be using specialty products for each of these applications?
    That`s up tp you,

FIRST OFF APC IS ALL PURPOSE "CLEANER"

I would not use it as a glass cleaner.

Some use stuff from the local auto parts store, walmart, some use apc from Vender`s here. You can use whatever u like or have available don`t break the bank. All the apc sold here is 100% safe on wheels tires seats paint dashboards IN MOST CASES. You decide what you like and can live with budget wise also. The good thing about the products here are they will require water to be added. You buy 1 qt it makes 5-10 gallons more bang for the buck. Most over the counter products are what they are and that`s it strength wise.

Use it on door jams, engines, carpets, striping old wax before applying sealant, wheel wells, you name it...

Hope this helped.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by njcarting1 View Post
    That`s up tp you,

FIRST OFF APC IS ALL PURPOSE "CLEANER"

I would not use it as a glass cleaner.

Some use stuff from the local auto parts store, walmart, some use apc from Vender`s here. You can use whatever u like or have available don`t break the bank. All the apc sold here is 100% safe on wheels tires seats paint dashboards IN MOST CASES. You decide what you like and can live with budget wise also. The good thing about the products here are they will require water to be added. You buy 1 qt it makes 5-10 gallons more bang for the buck. Most over the counter products are what they are and that`s it strength wise.

Use it on door jams, engines, carpets, striping old wax before applying sealant, wheel wells, you name it...

Hope this helped.
    1x
    I do what I do, when I can do it...

Post Thanks / Like

I like Meguiars APC, and APC+. I like using the apc on tires, rims, and interior wipe downs. General useI use it 10:1. For carpet cleaning, I like APC+. also @a 10:1 dilution. I like this for carpets because it is low foaming. great for use with a extractor.

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

...So... what kind of APC should I be getting now? And what can/can`t I use it on?
    There are countless APC options both OTC and via online stores. Try a few and find out what you like.

...Should I be using it on my interior vinyl and plastics? If so, I don`t want slick or shiny.
    They (APCs) are cleaners, not dressings, so it will only leave a surface slick and shiny if that is the nature of the surface.

...Can I use an APC on my wheels and tires?
    That is what I use.

...Can I use it to remove bugs and tar?
    You can try, I generally use a usage specific tar and bug removers.

...What else?
    Again, lots of options, read the label of the product that will be a pretty good indication of its intended use.

Or should I be using specialty products for each of these applications?[/QUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like

From what I have read about APC over the years and tried. There are a few types. Chemical, natural acid and detergent based. Most all OTC cleaners are quite mild in strength to protect the liability of the product. Meaning that you will use a lot more to do a job than you would with a more concentrated product. The two that I like the most are natural acid based, like citrus based or detergent based. They are not strong in smell and can be diluted with water for what ever application that you are working on.

The one that I have been using for the last several years is PB APC. Its a detergent based cleaner. One gallon can can make more than 10 gallons of very effective cleaner.

In making a decision about what APC to use, go with the better quality product and mix that to the application you are working on. That`s my take on APC
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

To expand upon my question on using an APC for my plastics/vinyl interior... is using an APC to clean it "good enough", or does the dash, seats, etc. benefit from some sort of dressing/protectant?]

If I can get away with using a good all-around APC, then all the better. I was using Vinylex for the dash and seats, but disliked the slick feeling.
    - Eric
    2002 BMW M3 `vert
    2005 VW Passat wagon

Post Thanks / Like

I`m no expert, but I think you would want to use some sort of protection on your interior just as you would the exterior. I would want to protect the interior mostly from the the harmful UV rays to prevent fading and cracking. Additionally, if you have leather, you may want to condition them to prevent cracking and hardening. FWIW, I`m going to use leatherique on my leather seats.

To expand upon my question on using an APC for my plastics/vinyl interior... is using an APC to clean it "good enough", or does the dash, seats, etc. benefit from some sort of dressing/protectant?]

If I can get away with using a good all-around APC, then all the better. I was using Vinylex for the dash and seats, but disliked the slick feeling.

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.detailcity.org/forums/poo...es-ratios.html

Here`s a list of "preferred" dilutions/tasks for PB`s APC.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

To expand upon my question on using an APC for my plastics/vinyl interior... is using an APC to clean it "good enough", or does the dash, seats, etc. benefit from some sort of dressing/protectant?
    Another "not an expert", but I definitely think you need to use a protectant on both vinyl and leather surfaces.

Charles

Thread Information