Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best Wax for Black Paint?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    The best way to see it in action for yourself is come to df north and try it.
    Or head up the road to ct and i/we can show you how easy it really is.
    I jump in and give the same offer - if you`re in the Harrisburg area, give me a shout.
    Thanks
    Bill G

1972 Buick GS Stage 1
    1 of 728 made
    1 of 1 SCO color combo

Post Thanks / Like

To give you a quick show.
    This was posted after the dealer installed some swirls and scratches.
    Not having the time or place to do a full correction since it was dead winter, I decided to use pb black hole by pc and a coat of Natty`s blue.

Less than 2 hours and........

http://www.detailcity.org/forums/det...pic-heavy.html
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 300A_FTW View Post
    I wish.
    But I can`t really afford that right now.

And I don`t know how to work a machine...
    Check pawn shops, eBay, Craigslist, etc. for a used PC. They are a little over $100 new, so you should be able to save some off of that. You can get by with a couple of pads to start. The difference between machine and hand polishing is substantial. It really is worth the investment if you want good results. It will be tempting to buy one of the cheaper "polishers" that you see around. DON`T! They are a waste of money. They can`t achieve the results that a PC can.

PCs are very easy to use. You could learn how to use it in no time. It doesn`t have a steep learning curve like the rotary does.

Some of the new Meguiar consumer products work really well by hand, although they are a lot more work. You could always start with them and save up for a machine and some pads.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    300A_FTW, You don`t have to have a PC to get to vehicle to car show readiness, but you are going to have to put in a lot more time and effort to do the work by hand.

Think of it as investing in yourself and not just this vehicle, but every one you will own for years to come. It really is small price to pay when you spread the cost over the years you will own the machine. As for cost, besides the PC you could start with one or two "light" polshing pads (considering your statement regarding the thin paint). You could use those with a paint cleaner type polish. Followed with a hand application of your glaze and lsp.

Put a few dollars away each month and you`ll be there in no time.

Edit to add: Yeah I just disagreed with BB and PB.
    I agree with you about hand work being just as good as machine, but as you said it is harder and will take most people more time.
    I also agree that he should save up and / or look for a used one like blk45 suggested ...but pads i recommend you buy new
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    I agree with you about hand work being just as good as machine, but as you said it is harder and will take most people more time.
    I also agree that he should save up and / or look for a used one like blk45 suggested ...but pads i recommend you buy new
    I have yet to see a hand job that looks as good as a machine.
    If it is possible I sure don`t want to be the one doing the polishing.

I also do not agree with Beemerboy that a black car will always have swirls that require a glaze to hide. I have no glaze and I got a hundred bucks for the person that can find a swirl.

Their is a huge difference between detailing a DD and a show car.

Nearly all shows put too much emphasis on the paint and not enough on custom workmanship but that is what it takes to win in most shows today.
    It would be really hard to win with a factory paint job but it is possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by black bart View Post
    I have yet to see a hand job that looks as good as a machine.
    If it is possible I sure don`t want to be the one doing the polishing.

I also do not agree with Beemerboy that a black car will always have swirls that require a glaze to hide. I have no glaze and I got a hundred bucks for the person that can find a swirl.

Their is a huge difference between detailing a DD and a show car.

Nearly all shows put too much emphasis on the paint and not enough on custom workmanship but that is what it takes to win in most shows today.
    It would be really hard to win with a factory paint job but it is possible.

done many a national show winner by hand, but you are right they were a tremendous amount of physical labor compared to machine.

I think Beemer was talking about a DD not a show car with custom paint

Judging at most shows are completely a farse ..bias and lack of objectivity has prevailed for last 30 years I`ve been going to shows.

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=Poorboy;

Judging at most shows are completely a farse ..bias and lack of objectivity has prevailed for last 30 years I`ve been going to shows. [/quote]
    Yes and it must be nation wide because I have seen it in several states it seems like their are no good judges any more.

I will not go to the shows that are what they call show & shine where you leave the hood closed and they judge on exterior paint only.

NO credit is given for custom work they look for the oldest car with a outstanding paint job.

Post Thanks / Like

the problem I have been told by some judges is the lack of qualified and willing judges. For the most part, they don`t get paid, they volunteer their time and all too often the winners have friends among the judges.
    Popularity among peers and judges seems to rule and uniqueness and hard work often get over looked.

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

...NO credit is given for custom work they look for the oldest car with a outstanding paint job.
    That obviously depends on the show. In our show (VW specific), there are classes stock, modified stock, and custom. Each class had 3 award winners and then a final Best in Show winner.

the problem I have been told by some judges is the lack of qualified and willing judges. For the most part, they don`t get paid, they volunteer their time and all too often the winners have friends among the judges.
    Popularity among peers and judges seems to rule and uniqueness and hard work often get over looked.
    When I was first asked to judge at our show, I asked if there were any training classes that would establish a "certification". No one seemed to be aware of any. So I judged away, perhaps unqualified, but worked from a "script". I only did it two years, worked interiors the first year and under hood the second. I knew a number of the entrants, but I can assure you there was no bias at least on my part. And yes, as a member of the hosting club my efforts were strictly voluntary.

To further qualify, this was a locally sponsored show dedicated to the VW brand, dominated by water-cooled New Beetles and to a lesser extend Jettas. Entrants were primarily daily drivers with a very few show cars thrown into the mix. Most entrants were from Texas with a few entrants from other southwestern states. The furthest traveled entrant was from CA (which was trailered to the show). The show could consume an entire weekend with a Meet-n-Greet on Friday, the show on Saturday, drive-in movie Saturday night, and a "Poker Run" on Sunday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    That obviously depends on the show. In our show (VW specific), there are classes stock, modified stock, and custom. Each class had 3 award winners and then a final Best in Show winner.

When I was first asked to judge at our show, I asked if there were any training classes that would establish a "certification". No one seemed to be aware of any. So I judged away, perhaps unqualified, but worked from a "script". I only did it two years, worked interiors the first year and under hood the second. I knew a number of the entrants, but I can assure you there was no bias at least on my part. And yes, as a member of the hosting club my efforts were strictly voluntary.

To further qualify, this was a locally sponsored show dedicated to the VW brand, dominated by water-cooled New Beetles and to a lesser extend Jettas. Entrants were primarily daily drivers with a very few show cars thrown into the mix. Most entrants were from Texas with a few entrants from other southwestern states. The furthest traveled entrant was from CA (which was trailered to the show). The show could consume an entire weekend with a Meet-n-Greet on Friday, the show on Saturday, drive-in movie Saturday night, and a "Poker Run" on Sunday.
    please don`t misunderstand me that people judge for the purpose of being biased ...not all ..judging is a thankless job and many do it with zeal and total unbias, but unfortunately there is no standard score sheet or training for the majority. Most do their best and for most local show and shine (non-Nationally sanctioned) there is a slight bias towards a vehicle that that particular judge views as better than others. Most of the time I believe the judges get it right sometimes you see people or as they walk away from the presentations ...

Post Thanks / Like

Some shows are put on by churches or Lions Club.
    These people are not interested in cars but it is a good fund raiser.

I went to a small town show that was sponsored by the Lions Club and the guy that parked next to me had a brand new replica of a 66 AC Cobra.

He had bought it through his local ford dealer and drove it to the show.

It had a 302 with electronic fuel injection and had a total of 30 miles on it.

The Ole guy that was judging looked at it and the sign on the windshield that said 1966 cobra and he said boy it looks good for a 1966.

That brand new car won an award

Post Thanks / Like

Some shows are put on by churches or Lions Club.
    These people are not interested in cars but it is a good fund raiser.

I went to a small town show that was sponsored by the Lions Club and the guy that parked next to me had a brand new replica of a 66 AC Cobra.

He had bought it through his local ford dealer and drove it to the show.

It had a 302 with electronic fuel injection and had a total of 30 miles on it.

The Ole guy that was judging looked at it and the sign on the windshield that said 1966 cobra and he said boy it looks good for a 1966.

That brand new car won an award
    everything you just said is true .. but I also go to a few Corvette shows and people show up with a brand new Vette and everyone starts to and ...
    I stand there and ..and I say to myself that these people need to visit a showroom a little more often

Post Thanks / Like

Their is a lot of things that don`t seem right to me.
    I have a friend that has a radical custom made from a 1950 Chevrolet.
    This car has been featured in several Magazines.

He can not enter his 1950 in a national street rod show because you must have a 48 or older.
    If I buy new replica of a 32 Ford and title it as a 2009 home assembled they will welcome me to their show.
    In fact most of the cars like that at those shows are new fiberglass body ed cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Their is a lot of things that don`t seem right to me.
    I have a friend that has a radical custom made from a 1950 Chevrolet.
    This car has been featured in several Magazines.

He can not enter his 1950 in a national street rod show because you must have a 48 or older.
    If I buy new replica of a 32 Ford and title it as a 2009 home assembled they will welcome me to their show.
    In fact most of the cars like that at those shows are new fiberglass body ed cars.
    we seem to have taken this thread way off topic .. but the answer is ...it`s their organization and if you don`t like their rules they don`t care

Post Thanks / Like

we seem to have taken this thread way off topic .
    What was this thread about?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information