Post Thanks / Like

Recommended Steps & Products in washing, cleaning, claying, finishing etc.

Alright I am new to the business and I want to get my process and products in line for this summer. First without the experience what process would be best for a beginer:

wash/dry
    paint cleanser
    clay
    wash/dry
    wax/polish

In addition, all I have ever used is a orbital. Obviously to get the results I need to upgrade to a PC.

So with all that being said now to determine product and equipment brands. Whit everyone`s experience here I figured I could get some of the top two brands for wash, cleanser polish, clay, wax/polish and a PC.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Recommended Steps & Products in washing, cleaning, claying, finishing etc.

It`s good to get your process down first, this way you can improve upon it as you go along

Even though I don`t detail professionally, this is my process

Wash
    Clay
    Polish and/or Clean
    LSP

If you are going to make a living doing this, you will have to find an efficient way to make the vehicle look it`s best, by putting in extra steps it will only take you longer and time is money.

Not all the steps are required all the time, you need to take each vehicle on a per case basis and charge accordingly, based upon what is required and what your customer is willing to pay.
    Don`t give away what you can charge for

A machine will help get results but you still will have a learning curve, getting the best results by using the proper pad and product combination depending on the condition of the paint.

Product choice is really up to you. there are many brands out there that all work great. You just have to find the one that works best for you. Reading through the posts will help.

I like Poorboys and Meguiars products and work fine for me, but I have tried Optimum and have not been able to get the hang of them. Nothing wrong with the product, it`s just that I can`t get the hang of them. so each persons opinion is different.
    I suggest trying a couple and see which ones work for you.

Sorry for being long winded .

Good luck
    "J"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. I`ll just utilize that process and then try several products on my own and families vehicles and see if I can find some I prefer over the other. My son has an older car that could use some tlc so maybe I`ll try the PC and clay out on his ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shuddleston View Post
    Thanks for the info. I`ll just utilize that process and then try several products on my own and families vehicles and see if I can find some I prefer over the other. My son has an older car that could use some tlc so maybe I`ll try the PC and clay out on his ride.
    As you are working on your own car or your sons, try more than 1 product on it this way you can compare them side by side to see which one gives you the look that you are trying to achieve.

Thread Information