Post Thanks / Like

Polishing Scratches Out of Glass?

I was talking with a window cleaning service guy last weekend..he said that he has a guy that can polish out light scratches from glass...I gave him my card and asked that he call me...I haven`t heard from him yet.

However anyone have any success in this? I`ve resided to the fact I think its easier to replace rather than try and repair. I know there is a system by Diamondite that claims you can...anyone use this system?

Thanks

TGIF
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polishing Scratches Out of Glass?

It can be done and I have done it when I work for an Auto glass supplier.
    But just like with paint all you are doing is removing the surrounding area to make it level.

The thing that you have to be careful about is how much you are removing otherwise you will begin to distort the glass. If you are high or low on the windshield then it doesn`t pose a problem, but if it is the drivers line of sight then it can cause a problem.

Each windshield has to be evaluated on its own. there is one trick to know whether or not you will be able to get the mark out , if you can catch your fingernail on it, it is too deep and you will wind up distorting the glass.

As for the Diamondite system and can`t speak for. we used to use cerium oxide and a cotton wheel.

"J"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs02 View Post
    It can be done and I have done it when I work for an Auto glass supplier.
    But just like with paint all you are doing is removing the surrounding area to make it level.

The thing that you have to be careful about is how much you are removing otherwise you will begin to distort the glass. If you are high or low on the windshield then it doesn`t pose a problem, but if it is the drivers line of sight then it can cause a problem.

Each windshield has to be evaluated on its own. there is one trick to know whether or not you will be able to get the mark out , if you can catch your fingernail on it, it is too deep and you will wind up distorting the glass.

As for the Diamondite system and can`t speak for. we used to use cerium oxide and a cotton wheel.

"J"
    Thanks Jay..that`s been my belief for some time now..that if you remove to much in one area you can distort the glass...That`s why I always suggest replacement!

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

I have had the Diamondite glass repair system for about a month now. Recently I used it on a 05 Porsche 911 and had great success. It had a nice scratch toward the top of whre the wiper sweeps the glass. The owner said it was from a pebble stuck under the wiper blade. Jay and yourself are totally correct in the fact it gets leveled like paint. The instructions with the kit are very good to ensure proper use. I think your rotary is a must for jobs like this to generate the needed heat.
    Kurt

Post Thanks / Like

I got a call from the guy that polishes scratches from glass...sounds very interesting to me...here is the link to the site on the system that he uses..I am going to his shop this week..On my ford truck, I have some very light scratches he is going to work on. So that he can show me how it works...and so I can use him as one of my out sources for this...he said that the bulk of his work is in commercial store fronts where they have been tagged with acid based pens...I"ll keep you posted

Stop Scratched Glass - Home

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

I`ll be interested to hear how well it works for you. The windshield on my Jaguar has tons of little pits that I can never get out. It looks like the windshield is dirty. When I use the DP Glass Restorer it helps a little but only temporarily. I haven`t checked but I`m assuming it would be expensive to replace the windshield because every thing on the Jag is expensive to fix!

2015 Nissan Pathfinder, Platinum
    2012 Fiat 500 Sport
    2010 Mazda CX-7 iSport
    2000 Nissan Frontier XE

"Life`ll Kill Ya" - Warren Zevon

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a kit to remove scratches from glass...It contains cerium oxide and a felt bob that fits ina drill chuck...

you mix the cerium oxide powder with water to make a slurry...dip the bob in the slurry and work the scratch area...

I got the kit at caswell plating in New York I believe..

cerium oxide is what most use to polish glass...google cerium oxide glass polishing and you will see the kits...

IT WORKS

Al
    2004 Ford Ranger 4x4
    Bright Red
    My PitBull Rides Shotgun

Occupant Ilied Industries occupant's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I`ve been told to try 0000 steel wool and something for lubricant (soapy water, WD-40, whatever, everyone says something different for the lube but always 0000 steel wool)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by occupant View Post
    I`ve been told to try 0000 steel wool and something for lubricant (soapy water, WD-40, whatever, everyone says something different for the lube but always 0000 steel wool)
    that may work when you are trying to clean hard water spots from the glass, but not when you are trying to remove minor scratches.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by occupant View Post
    I appreciate your posting, but steel wool that I know of will not remove scratches in glass, anything that is on the surface yes, water spots, over spray, etc.

What makes this forum great is the people that can add hands on experience to questions asked. Meaning that its something they have tried and got desired results. Stating that you`ve heard, read or haven`t tried is not in most cases helping.

One has to realize that giving advice on a forum like this without hands on experience can result in someone doing more harm than good to a car.

That`s just my take and again thanks for posting

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

As said before..Cerium Oxide is the only product that will remove scratches from glass...and only minor ones...like wiper trails...not a scratch some one did with a diamond ring..thats a replacement issue....

this is the kit I have used and worked very well

Caswell Inc. - Glass Polishing Kit

Al
    2004 Ford Ranger 4x4
    Bright Red
    My PitBull Rides Shotgun

Occupant Ilied Industries occupant's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    I appreciate your posting, but steel wool that I know of will not remove scratches in glass, anything that is on the surface yes, water spots, over spray, etc.

What makes this forum great is the people that can add hands on experience to questions asked. Meaning that its something they have tried and got desired results. Stating that you`ve heard, read or haven`t tried is not in most cases helping.

One has to realize that giving advice on a forum like this without hands on experience can result in someone doing more harm than good to a car.

That`s just my take and again thanks for posting
    Yeah, the Buick wagon I just sold was to be my guinea pig for redneck glass treatments. Steel wool to remove the wiper scratches, penetrating oil and duct tape and sunshine for the small cracks, and Rain-X on one half and the Castrol purple bottle of rain repellent on the other half, to test to see which one works better. But it`s gone, and I`m not trying any of that on my Torino. Maybe the Suburban...since it also has a large crack on the bottom and will get replaced before next inspection (this June) anyway.

Thread Information