Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Acid Washing?

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Acid Washing?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan View Post
    Personally I don`t think I have ever run into a situation where I thought you know what would work good on get off the dirt on this car...acid! I would rather it take me and extra hour and do it the way thats not only safer for the paint but for myself too...
    The same is true for me, but I also haven`t run into a situation where I thought a rotary or a pretty aggressive compound would be the thing for me to use. Part of that is because I don`t have experience and the capability to get the most out of them.
    Those that use the rotary and aggressive compounds daily aren`t too concerned about it since they know what they are doing. Maybe the same thing is true for those that do the acid washing on a regular basis.

It`s definitely not for me.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

The acid in a decom wash is nothing like the acid in a wheel type acid....I have used a decom system a few times..and it does clean paint and does not harm it...I use the Auto Int system which is acid free and used by most car dealers to remove rail dust and surface contaminants..Ford has a service bulletin out that states all cars will be washed with this system before delivery...

When I got my new truck it was done and I watched it being done...the grime just oozed out of the paint...

now the FK1 system uses a acid..oxalic acid..made from spinach..lol....I never used it

its a three stage wash for both..

I do not know much on the FK1 one..but the Auto Int you use a acid nuetralizer first...then a Alkaline Neutralizer..then wash with a PH nuetral soap....

the steps

Acid Neutralizer

Removes all waxes and storage stains. Neutralizes acids which may have been deposited during transportation and storage. Removes lot stains, wax build up. Excellent prewash for body shops - removes silicones, waxes and other contaminates before sanding. Saves time when applied to used vehicles, removes oxidation, reduces buff time.

the Alkaline Neutralizer

The second step of our Neutralization System, Alkaline Neutralizer deep cleans painted surfaces to remove Alkaline Deposits. Also desolves ferrous metal particles while breaking their bond to the paint so that they safely and easily float away.

The
    Detail Wash

A fine vehicle wash solution designed to be the final step in neutralization, it returns the paint to it`s original factory pH level. Excellent for every day use. pH7.0 removes the dirt without stripping waxes, polishes or sealants.

this system beats claying hands down...except for stuff like overspray ...

your paint comes out so smooth and squeaky clean....do a bag test like you do for claying...its free of surface stuff...nice and clean....

AL
    2004 Ford Ranger 4x4
    Bright Red
    My PitBull Rides Shotgun

Post Thanks / Like

Al how is it for everything else like trim and glass, and any other type of plastic materials, if its safe for that?
    I like beer. On occasion I will even drink a beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of communism or the fact that our refrigerator is still working.

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW View Post
    The same is true for me, but I also haven`t run into a situation where I thought a rotary or a pretty aggressive compound would be the thing for me to use. Part of that is because I don`t have experience and the capability to get the most out of them.
    Those that use the rotary and aggressive compounds daily aren`t too concerned about it since they know what they are doing. Maybe the same thing is true for those that do the acid washing on a regular basis.

It`s definitely not for me.
    I agree, unless a paint is dead I never use my rotary with an aggressive compound as it will just make it worst then better...the only reason I tend to use a rotary more often is speed. I can just work it faster.

I see your point, I just wonder how safe the acid wash is for the rest of the car...other then the paint..
    I like beer. On occasion I will even drink a beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of communism or the fact that our refrigerator is still working.

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Here`s a link to the products Al was talking about. I will get some, just after I make some more $$ on a few more jobs. I think the stuff`s on sale right now too.
    Detail/ Reconditioning - Automotive International

Post Thanks / Like

Al how is it for everything else like trim and glass, and any other type of plastic materials, if its safe for that?
    here is the procedure ..the alkaline wash I do not get on plastics but it does and I seen no effects ....you wipe it on like you would a wax....

here is the procedure....

Automotive International - Valugard Product Line

it may sound like a lot of work..but it really is not....just need cool paint...thats the ticket...

I do it once a year to my truck and it really does work...

Al
    2004 Ford Ranger 4x4
    Bright Red
    My PitBull Rides Shotgun

Pressure Washing Mafia Squirtgun's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JaredPointer View Post
    Well, I would really like some more details. What kind of acid will kill you with one tablespoon? Just getting it on your skin? That`s a pretty amazing statement to be so "blanketed." I`d just like to know is all, since I am unfamiliar.
    JP,
    Hydrofluoric acid is one of the most vile creations know to man.Getting it on your skin will give you a surface burn,but what it does to the inside of your body is what makes it so deadly.It methodicaly eats your body and can cause death in less than 24hrs.
    A lot of acids used in fleet washing contain a mix of hydrofluoric and hydrochloric acids.
    I assure you scooter washes enough fleets to fully and completely know the whats and hows of what these types of acids are capable of.

Cleaner Times Magazine
    Karvonen`s Pro Clean
    Southwest,Ga.
    Pressure Washers Mafia

Hail the power of Quattro audiboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I`ve used the Valuguard system with pretty good results. You just have to be paying attention and making sure that you`re following the directions. It really helped get the contamination off and gave me a great starting point for my polishing. I`m not sure if the pictures are still up, but here`s a thread I started quite some time ago.

http://www.detailcity.org/forums/det...-mach-1-a.html
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Squirtgun View Post
    JP,
    Hydrofluoric acid is one of the most vile creations know to man.Getting it on your skin will give you a surface burn,but what it does to the inside of your body is what makes it so deadly.It methodicaly eats your body and can cause death in less than 24hrs.
    A lot of acids used in fleet washing contain a mix of hydrofluoric and hydrochloric acids.
    I assure you scooter washes enough fleets to fully and completely know the whats and hows of what these types of acids are capable of.

Cleaner Times Magazine
    I did not know that. It`s kind of amazing in way. Not much call for that knowledge in the dangerous world of finance, accounting and junior management. Thanks for the info.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JaredPointer View Post
    I did not know that. It`s kind of amazing in way. Not much call for that knowledge in the dangerous world of finance, accounting and junior management. Thanks for the info.
    maybe a match for that simple green / dawn combo...

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Post Thanks / Like

maybe a match for that simple green / dawn combo...
    Try getting an ounce of that on you. We`re talking bad things - worse than any acid could ever do.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Reading with interest, over the years we have used Pro`s Foaming Aluminum Wheel Acid to pre-soak a white car mostly to remove rail dust and prevent its return, I do acknowledge the care that must be taken as it will etch glass and mar and on trim it is very destructive, light spraying and wiping down with damp rag has proved safe and successful, the car`s paint is left in almost its virgin state and takes a beautiful coat of wax giving a very professional job and satisfying the customer with lessened work and time. I did see a detailer destroy the handles on a Ford truck costing over $600.00 to repair, CAUTION is the word. And, lets all face it some of the clear coat is removed as is everytime we use a compound. It does work very well but again if you try proceed with caution, mistakes are costlly.

Post Thanks / Like

I really don`t have much to add but Optimum is supposed to be coming out with a similar product to these ABC washes - but it`s one step and safe to use on paint and won`t damage glass or trim. It`ll be interesting to see / hear results when it hits the market.
    "Whether you think you can or think you can`t - you are right " -Henry Ford

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to stir the pot a little more.

Is the benefit of these washes supposed to be better cleaning, faster cleaning or both.

The guy I overheard talking about it seemed to feel it left the paint much cleaner and brighter. Here again, it is a production shop and I`m sure speed is also a factor.

The comment about it removing some clear just as when using a compound surprised me.
    It still sounds like something for professionals.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW View Post
    Just to stir the pot a little more.

Is the benefit of these washes supposed to be better cleaning, faster cleaning or both.

The guy I overheard talking about it seemed to feel it left the paint much cleaner and brighter. Here again, it is a production shop and I`m sure speed is also a factor.

The comment about it removing some clear just as when using a compound surprised me.
    It still sounds like something for professionals.
    I was suprised by that too...I didn`t think it would remove any clear, I figured it was a liquid replacement for clay...I cna see where you would want to use it, especially on a white vehicle when after you wash it it still is not bright white but rather a cream color...however I have been able to get that out with clay and polishing, I guess the acid wash would be good to start with a nice clean surface, both debris and wax free...

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information