2006 Accord V6 6spd Coupe Conundrum's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Question How to tell if a "self-wash" place recycles their water...

Well its that time again for me...snow = salt trucks out on the road...and at the very least I want to be rinsing my baby 1-2x a week in between giving it either QEW or PB S&W washes in the garage.

Now one thing of concern to me (and others on a few non-detailing forums), is how to tell which places recycle their water...as recycled water basically equals a salt bath for the car. Does anyone have any tips/tricks on how to check and see if a place is using fresh water...or if they are recycling does it help to go when the place is not busy at all? Of course the place I would be going to uses a pressure-washer style nozzle, and not a brush (no brush is ever touching my paint if I can help it).

Additionally, I still worry about using S&W if the car has any salt on it. Wouldn`t just misting a panel and then wiping it clean with a MF cause marring from any salt thats stuck on the car? Maybe I`m just too used to using 2 buckets, a hose, and multiple sheepskin mitts on my car...but I figured I`d ask.

Anyhow, thanks to all in advance...

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to tell if a "self-wash" place recycles their water...

While I share your concerns about using recycled water, if it is done right, the process does leave a realatively contaminant free water to be used on vehicles.
    The key here is "If it is done right". I have no idea how the consuner would ever be able to determine that.
    I have also heard that some car washes only use the recycled water for washing and use fresh water for rinsing.
    Since you plan to just rinse off the salt and crud accumulation and finish with S&W, using only the rinse cycle at the DIY spray wash might keep the recycled water away from your vehicle.
    The one I go to in the winter does not use recycled water. I asked the owner when he was there one day. He didn`t just say they didn`t, he took me on a tour of the inner workings of the place. I was impressed. Everything was spotless in the equipment room. I feel comfortable enough with his operation that I go through the drive-thru a few times during the winter to get the undercarriage washed off.
    The sprayoff at the DIY and finishing with S&W has been my winter mainstay for several years now.
    Keep in mind that local regulations may require the facility to use recycled water. Your local authorities might have that information available.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to tell if a "self-wash" place recycles their water...

if its an AutoBell carwash, stay the hell away. I used to work there. Half the time the machines dint have soap in them, the rags that were used to dry the vehicles were the same rags that were used to scrub brake dust off, and they were never washed...just thrown into a tub of water and agitated with a washing machine agitator.

Thread Information