Forum: Auto Detailing 101 - Whether you are a professional or a do-it-yourself car owner this is the place to go for the basics of automotive detailing.
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1 why is there rust on my disk brakes? 
    07 Accent Hatchback SE theRIAA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    83
    Post Thanks / Like
    i just got a new accent. it has disk brakes front and back. today (the 1st time I cleaned the car by hand) i noticed my disk brakes were tinted with orange rusty stuff. the cars only a month or 2 old and its been through the car wash 2 times (never again).

    can i just wipe this stuff off or do i need a cleaner, and posibly some protection to prevent this from happening??? it didnt come off when i ran my finger across it. I havent seen this stuff on anyone elses car... D:
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2 Re: why is there rust on my disk brakes? 
    Just One More Coat Beemerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Sonoma County, CA
    Posts
    12,283
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by theRIAA
    i just got a new accent. it has disk brakes front and back. today (the 1st time I cleaned the car by hand) i noticed my disk brakes were tinted with orange rusty stuff. the cars only a month or 2 old and its been through the car wash 2 times (never again).

    can i just wipe this stuff off or do i need a cleaner, and posibly some protection to prevent this from happening??? it didnt come off when i ran my finger across it. I havent seen this stuff on anyone elses car... D:
    Your brake calipers will rust slightly when you wash the car....the water will turn them a bit rusty looking but after you drive a block or so that goes away....are yours still rusty looking after that?
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

    Dave's Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3 Re: why is there rust on my disk brakes? 
    Beercan31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    N.J.
    Posts
    466
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeh this is normal, but like Beemer said if the rust on the rotors don't go away you might have pitting....Calipers are made out of Cast Iron and will always have a rusted look to them, there are high temp paints made for the calipers, but I don't use it for the reason it holds the heat in the caliper... (to a degre).
    Beercan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4 Re: why is there rust on my disk brakes? 
    07 Accent Hatchback SE theRIAA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    83
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy
    Your brake calipers will rust slightly when you wash the car....the water will turn them a bit rusty looking but after you drive a block or so that goes away....are yours still rusty looking after that?
    thanks, but just to clear things up, just by introducing water to the disks, they will tint orange?... just dosent make since to me..


    also. when you guys say caliper, are you talking about the disk brakes in general? i always thought calipers were the things that grip the disk, not the actual disk attatched to the wheel
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5 Re: why is there rust on my disk brakes? 
    Obsessive Compulsive Detailer Jngrbrdman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    ...a state of confusion
    Posts
    9,775
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your brakes are made up of the caliper which is the part that holds the pad that actually clamps down on the rotor, and the rotor itself which is the round disc part. All you have to do is idle the car for a few feet with the brake on and the rust will go away. All rust needs to form is water and oxygen. Provide even a little of it and yes, your rotors will rust. It isn't a problem you need to worry about. It happens to every car.
    ~ ~ www.OCDetails.com ~ ~
    Faster isn't better. BETTER is better no matter how long it takes.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6 Re: why is there rust on my disk brakes? 
    07 Accent Hatchback SE theRIAA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    83
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jngrbrdman
    Your brakes are made up of the caliper which is the part that holds the pad that actually clamps down on the rotor, and the rotor itself which is the round disc part. All you have to do is idle the car for a few feet with the brake on and the rust will go away. All rust needs to form is water and oxygen. Provide even a little of it and yes, your rotors will rust. It isn't a problem you need to worry about. It happens to every car.
    *parks car* lol, thanks
    Reply With Quote  
     

Thread Information
Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-03-2013, 02:06 PM
  2. Gallery disk space full?
    By RAG in forum Car Detailing
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-12-2006, 12:14 PM
  3. Guess who has a buldged disk :(
    By wifehatescar in forum Hot Tub
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-06-2005, 09:13 PM
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •