Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advice on filling swirls, will this process work?

Quote Originally Posted by MackCollier View Post
    I got the SSR1 and Natty`s Red in today. Applied the SSR1 by hand and saw no improvement in the swirls. I did notice the surface of the paint was a bit smoother.
    The SSR1 is more of a finishing polish and I would not expect swirl removal with it especially by hand .. smoother is better and probably removing the previous products.

I then applied the Black Hole by hand with EX-P sealant over it, and buffed both off, and no improvement to the swirls either. I guess I`m just not doing a good enough job working the product into the paint by hand.
    I`m assuming this was done in two steps? Did you work the Black Hole in or did you wipe it on and off like a wax?

So I`m assuming I just need to forget trying to do it by hand and need to get some pads to do the job with my Porter Cable.

Looking at the selection of Lake Country pads - Lake Country CCS Dual Action 5.5 Inch Foam Pads

Would these pads work to apply each?

SSR1 - White or Orange, which would be better?

Black Hole - Blue or Gold?

EX-P - Red

Natty`s Red or Souveran by hand.
    the machine will definitely help with the SSR1 I would use Black pad same for the Black Hole , EX-P with Red and apply the Natty`s by hand
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com
    Likes JustJesus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    I`m wondering if Rasky was right; maybe the swirls are too deep to make any real difference with filling. Any chance you can post a pic?

I very recently tried to cover up some swirls, light scratches myself. Two test spots. One was White Diamond (BH, but white) and the other was a light polish with Pro Polish on a black pad, followed by White Diamond. Both looked better than what I started with. The PP + WD side was better than the WD side. BUT, both still had too much for my liking. The PP/WD side just *might* be enough for this particular veh, but I want to see it in some good sun. We`ve been having overcast and rain lately

This is the only pic I took that shows any of the swirls, it was tough to get a good shot of them. There are others all over the hood but these were about the worst.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    the machine will definitely help with the SSR1 I would use Black pad same for the Black Hole , EX-P with Red and apply the Natty`s by hand
    Black? Do you mean gray? According to the Autopia store description, the gray pad has no cut. And you claim Super Swirl Remover isn`t really for removing swirls, so how would that combination...remove the swirls? I`m new to this so that`s why I ask.

At this point it almost feels like throwing good money after bad, if I buy anything else I want to make sure it actually removes the swirls, or at least fills them.

Post Thanks / Like

Black? Do you mean gray? According to the Autopia store description, the gray pad has no cut. And you claim Super Swirl Remover isn`t really for removing swirls, so how would that combination...remove the swirls? I`m new to this so that`s why I ask.

At this point it almost feels like throwing good money after bad, if I buy anything else I want to make sure it actually removes the swirls, or at least fills them.
    Not sure of the Autopia color but yes , the SSR1 is made to finish up after using 2.5 or SSR3 ... the system is meant to start with an aggressive to knock down the swirls and finish off with either SSR2 or SSR1 ... SSR1 would become a maintenance from swirls induced by weekly washings. Your original intent was to hide the swirls but with the use of the twins you had literally sealed the swirls in .. the SSR1 will clean and remove the previous product, cleaning the slate. IF you want to do repairs, then yes you will need a light cut pad with a stronger cut than SSR1 ...
    Getting pads is never a bad idea, but maybe you can get you a sample of 2.5 and at least practice on one panel to get it right and then proceed to do the rest of the vehicle.

Likes MackCollier liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Side note- I know the store says "gray", but the pads are most definitely black. Confirmed this myself with a pad order a few days ago.

Summary: Gray=Black=finishing pad. Same thing.

Hope this helps to clear it up

Post Thanks / Like

What area are you in Mack maybe someone can give you a few samples or help you get started tackling the "swirls" that are troubling you

Hate to see you just buy product after product that isn`t doing what you want apparently you are gonna need more aggressive stuff and or take a different approach. It`s amazing what just a AIO on like a green pad or Orange pad can do on a machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    What area are you in Mack maybe someone can give you a few samples or help you get started tackling the "swirls" that are troubling you

Hate to see you just buy product after product that isn`t doing what you want apparently you are gonna need more aggressive stuff and or take a different approach. It`s amazing what just a AIO on like a green pad or Orange pad can do on a machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks Matt. Sounds like I`m not using aggressive enough products to remove the swirls. Honestly, I am a complete novice to this, so I am very worried about messing up the car. That`s why I was looking into filling the swirls rather than removing them.

Post Thanks / Like

MackCollier- Some sorta-random thoughts follow:

-It does indeed sound like the marring is too severe to merely conceal, no real surprise there as that looks pretty severe (but still safely fixable)
    -Doing much of anything to lessen the marring is usually a *LOT* more involved than people think and almost always involves *MUCH* more aggressive measures than expected
    -Doing it by hand would take countless hours and would require something like M101 for the initial step (that level of cut might be needed anyhow)
    -I`d absolutely plan on two-stepping that if do plan to do much of anything in that direction
    -[REPEAT comments about doing much of any correction until/unless you`re confident it won`t promptly get marred up again]
    -I never expect any product to finish out ready-to-wax when used on a LC Orange Light Cut pad (and I`m used to hard clear)
    -I utterly despise the black/dark gray LC pads and never use them for anything; opinions vary and that`s just mine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    MackCollier- Some sorta-random thoughts follow:

-It does indeed sound like the marring is too severe to merely conceal, no real surprise there as that looks pretty severe (but still safely fixable)
    -Doing much of anything to lessen the marring is usually a *LOT* more involved than people think and almost always involves *MUCH* more aggressive measures than expected
    -Doing it by hand would take countless hours and would require something like M101 for the initial step (that level of cut might be needed anyhow)
    -I`d absolutely plan on two-stepping that if do plan to do much of anything in that direction
    -[REPEAT comments about doing much of any correction until/unless you`re confident it won`t promptly get marred up again]
    -I never expect any product to finish out ready-to-wax when used on a LC Orange Light Cut pad (and I`m used to hard clear)
    -I utterly despise the black/dark gray LC pads and never use them for anything; opinions vary and that`s just mine
    Appreciate the feedback. I think I need to leave the swirls alone and go back to what I was doing before.

Post Thanks / Like

Appreciate the feedback. I think I need to leave the swirls alone and go back to what I was doing before.
    shiney is good too

Post Thanks / Like

... I think I need to leave the swirls alone and go back to what I was doing before.
    Good on you for not falling victim to the Curse of Autopia, where everything has to be perfect and people can`t enjoy a vehicle unless it *is* perfect.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Good on you for not falling victim to the Curse of Autopia, where everything has to be perfect and people can`t enjoy a vehicle unless it *is* perfect.
    Et tu, Brute?
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Rohkh- Heh heh, not on your life But that`s me and I`m like that about most everything. Though I guess it`s all relative, I can imagine some people here seeing a few of my vehicles and thinking they couldn`t live with `em. Well...maybe. Some of `em. maybe.
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

just given ya a hard time
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    just given ya a hard time
    Heh heh, yeah...this whole Perfectionism thing is one area where I don`t mind being hypocritical

And the truth is, the one vehicle I appreciated the most was one I kept *FAR* from Autopian, just drove the wheels off it and didn`t obsess over marring at all (easy as it was white).
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information