Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 110
  1. #16

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    78,083
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Advice on filling swirls, will this process work?

    Souveran will barely last from wash-to-wash and will need redone constantly. And it offers minimal protection against etching from bugs/birds. Not hating on it, I use it on my Jag. Just sayin`....

    Ronkh says that the PBBH works fine under FK1000P, so that`s what I`d do. FK1000 is one of the few LSPs that compares with (heavily layered) KSG, compares so well that I basically quit using the latter.
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    564
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Advice on filling swirls, will this process work?

    Quote Originally Posted by MackCollier View Post
    Just ordered Black Hole and EX, will top with the Souveran I ordered last month, thanks to all for the advice!
    Will probably look good for a month.
    Likes Caraman liked this post

  3. #18
    dschribs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Berlin, CT
    Posts
    1,172
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Advice on filling swirls, will this process work?

    Skip the Souveran. Go w something more durable. FK1000 is a great suggestion.

    Sent from my Galaxy Tab S2 using Tapatalk

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    38
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Advice on filling swirls, will this process work?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Will probably look good for a month.
    That`s about as long as I could stand to go without getting the itch to re-do it so it should be perfect then!
    Likes Ronkh, WaxAddict, Poorboy liked this post

  5. #20

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    38
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Advice on filling swirls, will this process work?

    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Souveran will barely last from wash-to-wash and will need redone constantly. And it offers minimal protection against etching from bugs/birds. Not hating on it, I use it on my Jag. Just sayin`....

    Ronkh says that the PBBH works fine under FK1000P, so that`s what I`d do. FK1000 is one of the few LSPs that compares with (heavily layered) KSG, compares so well that I basically quit using the latter.
    Have been reading the forum and FK1000p gets a lot of good reviews. But can it be used after a sealant? Or should it be used in place of a sealant?

    I`m thinking since it apparently has superior durability that if I could use it with Klasse SG that the pair could be perfect for putting on in late Fall to cover the winter. Maybe use BH/EX/Souveran in the summer then switch to KSG/FK1000p for the winter. Is that possible or would it be FK1000p by itself?

  6. #21
    WaxAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,076
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Advice on filling swirls, will this process work?

    Maybe use BH/EX/Souveran all the time. You have sealant under the wax so even when the wax gives way, the EX is there to protect until you get a chance to reapply the Souveran and enjoy all the good car karma that goes with that process. Some of these waxes like Souveran, P21, Lusso Oro, Rainforest Rub - they exist for us to have fun with. So have fun.
    Likes MackCollier, Poorboy, nickclark08, Ronkh liked this post

  7. #22
    Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    14,237
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Advice on filling swirls, will this process work?

    Quote Originally Posted by MackCollier View Post
    That`s about as long as I could stand to go without getting the itch to re-do it so it should be perfect then!
    You may soon be qualified to be in the Wax Wasters Club

    Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post
    Maybe use BH/EX/Souveran all the time. You have sealant under the wax so even when the wax gives way, the EX is there to protect until you get a chance to reapply the Souveran and enjoy all the good car karma that goes with that process. Some of these waxes like Souveran, P21, Lusso Oro, Rainforest Rub - they exist for us to have fun with. So have fun.
    exactly !!! They are all just sacrificial layers as the clearcoat is a pretty good protection of the paint
    life is short ..do it while you can

    e-mail info@poorboysworld.com
    Likes nickclark08, Ronkh, WaxAddict, MackCollier liked this post

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    College Station, TX
    Posts
    326
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Advice on filling swirls, will this process work?

    FK1000p is a solid performer by itself. Even though it comes as a "paste wax", it`s really a super wax/sealant. I use it on my DD, and two layers at least a day apart can get you 4-6 months. To specifically answer your question, yes, a great winter wax (though, I use it year-round), and you would use is as the sealant (i.e., the "base layer", not the "wax topper").

    I think what Accumulator was getting at is use PBBH to fill the swirls, then try a couple layers of FK1000p. I`ve never tried FK over the Black Hole, but if Ron thinks it will work, I would trust him. He might have more experience than anyone (besides Poorboy`s themselves) using Poorboys products.

    If wanting to use the BH/EX/Souveran combo, this should be a great combo for the summer time. The BH/FK1000p would be the more durable option to last for the winter.

    Hope this helps.

    Quote Originally Posted by MackCollier View Post
    Have been reading the forum and FK1000p gets a lot of good reviews. But can it be used after a sealant? Or should it be used in place of a sealant?

    I`m thinking since it apparently has superior durability that if I could use it with Klasse SG that the pair could be perfect for putting on in late Fall to cover the winter. Maybe use BH/EX/Souveran in the summer then switch to KSG/FK1000p for the winter. Is that possible or would it be FK1000p by itself?
    Likes MackCollier liked this post

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    78,083
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Advice on filling swirls, will this process work?

    Quote Originally Posted by MackCollier View Post
    Have been reading the forum and FK1000p gets a lot of good reviews. But can it be used after a sealant? Or should it be used in place of a sealant?

    I`m thinking since it apparently has superior durability that if I could use it with Klasse SG that the pair could be perfect for putting on in late Fall to cover the winter. Maybe use BH/EX/Souveran in the summer then switch to KSG/FK1000p for the winter. Is that possible or would it be FK1000p by itself?
    Use the Fk1000P in place of a sealant. While it`s called a "High Temperature Wax" in reality it`s just a sealant in paste form.

    No need for underlying KSG. Consider that my previous sealant approach was ~6 layers of KSG. I replaced that regimen with 1-2 layers of FK1000P because it provides at least as much protection for at least as long and also sheds contamination *better* and, IMO looks *much* better. And two layers (one initial application, the second after the next regularly-scheduled wash) is a *LOT* easier and more convenient than six layers applied over the course of six consecutive days (which gave me the best KSG results, hands-down).

    And FK1000P is easier to apply than KSG for most people (note that most people use a zillion times more KSG than is needed; one ounce is way more than enough for a Suburban). Eh, most people use more of *every* LSP than they need to...IMO if you can see it on the paint before you buff it off you probably used too much.

    IME there are only two benefits that KSG has over other (conventional, i.e., non-coating) LSPs:

    1) the way it can, *if heavily layered and I don`t mean just 3-4*, provide a rather thick (relatively speaking) "plasticy build-film" which can impart a *VERY SLIGHT* physical barrier between the paint and the environment. For that reason I continue use it on high-gloss exterior black plastics.

    2) similarly, it`s easy to use, and effective, on textured exterior plastic/rubber trim. Apply it *VERY THIN* using the wipe-on-wipe-off method (don`t let it flash before you buff it off). Other LSPs can be used this way too (I`ve done it with FK1000P), but the chance of an "!oops!" is so great that, well...don`t try this at home, kids (major exception being Collinite 845, used as per the KSG it`s idiot proof).

    Gotta try Ron`s PBBH under FK1000P some time...but FK1000P lasts so long that it`ll be ages before I reLSP anything.
    Likes nickclark08, WaxAddict liked this post

  10. #25
    Rasky's Auto Detailing RaskyR1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Posts
    4,683
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Advice on filling swirls, will this process work?

    If you`re still seeing swirls after the Klasse twins and Souveran, it`s possible the swirls are simply too deep to be filled...
    Likes Old Pirate liked this post

  11. #26

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    78,083
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Advice on filling swirls, will this process work?

    Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    If you`re still seeing swirls after the Klasse twins and Souveran, it`s possible the swirls are simply too deep to be filled...
    I`ve never experienced any filling with KSG and/or Souveran. IIRC some people *have* had KSG do some filling, but it never happened for me.

  12. #27
    Rasky's Auto Detailing RaskyR1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Posts
    4,683
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Advice on filling swirls, will this process work?

    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I`ve never experienced any filling with KSG and/or Souveran. IIRC some people *have* had KSG do some filling, but it never happened for me.
    I wasn`t implying anything, just that IME all waxes, sealants, AIO`s, and polishes fill to some degree. With 3 products already on the paint I can`t imagine there would be much difference and I think the OP may be expecting too much from the fillers. Just my $.02
    Likes Old Pirate liked this post

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    38
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Advice on filling swirls, will this process work?

    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Use the Fk1000P in place of a sealant. While it`s called a "High Temperature Wax" in reality it`s just a sealant in paste form.

    No need for underlying KSG. Consider that my previous sealant approach was ~6 layers of KSG. I replaced that regimen with 1-2 layers of FK1000P because it provides at least as much protection for at least as long and also sheds contamination *better* and, IMO looks *much* better. And two layers (one initial application, the second after the next regularly-scheduled wash) is a *LOT* easier and more convenient than six layers applied over the course of six consecutive days (which gave me the best KSG results, hands-down).

    And FK1000P is easier to apply than KSG for most people (note that most people use a zillion times more KSG than is needed; one ounce is way more than enough for a Suburban). Eh, most people use more of *every* LSP than they need to...IMO if you can see it on the paint before you buff it off you probably used too much.

    IME there are only two benefits that KSG has over other (conventional, i.e., non-coating) LSPs:

    1) the way it can, *if heavily layered and I don`t mean just 3-4*, provide a rather thick (relatively speaking) "plasticy build-film" which can impart a *VERY SLIGHT* physical barrier between the paint and the environment. For that reason I continue use it on high-gloss exterior black plastics.

    2) similarly, it`s easy to use, and effective, on textured exterior plastic/rubber trim. Apply it *VERY THIN* using the wipe-on-wipe-off method (don`t let it flash before you buff it off). Other LSPs can be used this way too (I`ve done it with FK1000P), but the chance of an "!oops!" is so great that, well...don`t try this at home, kids (major exception being Collinite 845, used as per the KSG it`s idiot proof).

    Gotta try Ron`s PBBH under FK1000P some time...but FK1000P lasts so long that it`ll be ages before I reLSP anything.
    Now that I understand that FK1000p is more a sealant than wax, I`ll definitely look at going with it over BH in the future. I have to say I love how KSG looks on the car now, but it took much trial and error to figure out how little to apply and the long curing times, I was typically waiting 24 hours inbetween layers. Sounds like FK1000p would be much easier to apply and remove, with similar durability as KSG. It`s definitely on the shopping list for next time, thanks!
    Likes nickclark08 liked this post

  14. #29

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    College Station, TX
    Posts
    326
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Advice on filling swirls, will this process work?

    apply in thin layers and keep it off trim, you should be golden! good luck!
    Likes MackCollier liked this post

  15. #30

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    78,083
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Advice on filling swirls, will this process work?

    Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    I wasn`t implying anything, just that IME all waxes, sealants, AIO`s, and polishes fill to some degree. With 3 products already on the paint I can`t imagine there would be much difference and I think the OP may be expecting too much from the fillers. Just my $.02
    Eh, hope I didn`t come across as being contentious or anything, didn`t intend that. The "all LSPs fill to some extent" concept makes perfect sense to me, I just can`t recall it ever working out that way for me IRL for some reason! Maybe I overkill the inspection too much or don`t have the right kind (i.e., really *really* fine) marring or...who knows what. Just one of those YMMV things I guess. I can almost remember who it was here...wannfbody perhaps?...who said how great KSG filled for him and while I`m 100% confident that was his experience, I just couldn`t get it to work for me...wish it would on those gloss black plastic "B pillars"!

    Now that I understand that FK1000p is more a sealant than wax, I`ll definitely look at going with it over BH in the future. I have to say I love how KSG looks on the car now, but it took much trial and error to figure out how little to apply and the long curing times, I was typically waiting 24 hours inbetween layers. Sounds like FK1000p would be much easier to apply and remove, with similar durability as KSG. It`s definitely on the shopping list for next time, thanks!
    If you do try FK1000P I hope you like it as much as I do. KSG has a definite "signature look" and FK1000P looks quite different (at least to me).

    For some reason I`ve always found KSG *VERY* user-friendly! Might be the only guy here who does, but that`s just more YMMV stuff. My only gripe with it (well, other than how it looks) was having to keep the vehicle off the road for so long while I layered it.

    As for the durability, see how two layers of FK1000P compares with [however many] layers of KSG *for you*. I was astounded that the FK lasted longer and kept cleaning up better, even on wheels.

 

 
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 1 guests)

  1. kkritsilas

Similar Threads

  1. Product Filling - What`s your process to determine it??
    By David Fermani in forum Car Detailing
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-02-2012, 10:42 PM
  2. Filling swirls, qd with fillers?
    By ron231 in forum Car Detailing
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-01-2007, 09:27 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-11-2006, 01:56 PM
  4. New guy need a process to get rid or swirls
    By TacomaWillis in forum Car Detailing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-15-2006, 02:17 PM
  5. Will this process work?
    By CaliPhotog in forum Car Detailing
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-10-2005, 02:58 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •