Post Thanks / Like

Antifreeze on paint

Quick question for the experts. I was a short distance from home and blew a radiator hose. Had some antifreeze spray out over the paint.

What`s the best way to make sure the antifreeze residue is removed? The car isn`t dirty, maybe a light dusting that I would normally just detail spray with ONR. But I was concerned that the lubricants in the antifreeze might be a bit more than ONR can handle alone.

Do I need to wash with a normal car soap? Quick Dawn wash? Do an isopropyl alcohol wipe down and start over? None or all of the above?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Antifreeze on paint

Just wash it normally
    Likes ShaneB liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. It should rinse away effortlessly. Even then I don`t believe it`s any harm to your cars paint. Could be wrong though

Post Thanks / Like

It`s brake fluid that is deadly to paint
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I would rinse it well before washing preferably with a power washer (soap cannon if you have one). Most antifreeze`s feel course when you rub them between your fingers and when they dry can be very sticky. I know when we have a radiator leak with work trucks it can be very hard to rinse of the engine after, we have found 409 (guess any decent APC) works very well at dissolving it. Just a little added caution to avoid mirco marring or wash media contamination.
    Likes jtford95 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by imported_simracer View Post
    Quick question for the experts. I was a short distance from home and blew a radiator hose. Had some antifreeze spray out over the paint.

What`s the best way to make sure the antifreeze residue is removed? The car isn`t dirty, maybe a light dusting that I would normally just detail spray with ONR. But I was concerned that the lubricants in the antifreeze might be a bit more than ONR can handle alone.

Do I need to wash with a normal car soap? Quick Dawn wash? Do an isopropyl alcohol wipe down and start over? None or all of the above?

Thanks!
    just water pre-rinse is fine. I was a mechanic for a reasonable amount of time, and when antifreeze spills on paint, I go grab a cup of water and rinse it off, then wash it off with a small dilution of soapy water and a wash sponge (for car wash from local auto parts store... gently, we dont have any high end detailing media in a regular shop), and then dry with a clean microfiber cloth (again just stuff from local auto parts store)... never had any issues, and these are cars I`ve work on through my career where I saw it for years, and some of them had real nice paint.

Thread Information