Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Suggestions for getting the "Optimum" mix of Optimum products

I`ve been a happy user of Optimum detailing products for the last 8 years or so, especially the ONR and Opti-Seal. My supply of products is getting low and we will take delivery of a brand-new car in the next few weeks so I want to replenish things and get a fresh start. Our cars are:

2014 Chevy Volt in Summit White
    2017 Subaru Impreza in Silver Ice (coming soon!)

Our cars are basic daily drivers but I like to keep them clean and detailed. I can spend an hour or so per car once every couple of weeks. I`d like to keep using the ONR as it`s a great product. After that I`m open to suggestions on where to take things. I`m thinking I want to add an AIO product before the Opti-Seal and then add a wax on top of that. I`d also like to keep a quick detailer in the car. There are so many great products out there but I`ve been very happy with the Optimum line that staying with them would be perfectly fine if they`re a good match.

I`d like to get suggestions on what mix of AIO and wax would be the best match with the Opti-Seal. Also, are there any other newer Optimum products that I should be considering (interior or exterior)?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Suggestions for getting the "Optimum" mix of Optimum products

If you want to stick with Optimum you can top Opti-Seal with their spray wax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

You have a good method that is working and easy to do.

Optimum offers GPS and poli-seal as AIO`s. I have not used either of them so I can`t comment on how they perform. They also have their car wax which is in sprayable form. It works very well. Optimum`s thing is product synergy where all of their products work together.

I would consider taking the next step and do some sort of paint correction and gloss coat the cars. It will not only last longer than opti-seal but it will look better and make maintenance even easier.

My method for maintaining gloss coat on two cars is

ONR + big red sponge
    Optimum Instant Detailer as a drying aid

That is it. It is simple and effective. Opti-Seal can be used as a drying aid instead as gloss coat can be topped. It`s all personal preference. The protection with instant detailer is short and that is why I use it because I prefer to see the performance of gloss coat versus topping it with opti-seal. Opti-Seal works fine as I have used it once. It added gloss and slickness.

But my maintenance wash is simple.

If you do the occasional bucket wash their car shampoo is nice. Interior wise I had a sample of their leather protectant plus which can be used on pretty much most of the interior. Worked ok.

The opti-glass coating paired with opti-glass clean & protect makes a nice 1-2 combo for the glass.

Check out the rag channel on youtube. They have lots of videos on a lot of the optimum products.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I like ONR, and the optimum line products I`ve used. So much so, I accidentally ordered (hehe, yeah, accidentally) extra 32oz bottles of ONR.

I`m looking to reduce the amount of products I have on my shelves. I have a new bottle of Optimum Instant Detailer, amongst other Opti things. PM me for details
    Likes ruleof72 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    You have a good method that is working and easy to do.

Optimum offers GPS and poli-seal as AIO`s. I have not used either of them so I can`t comment on how they perform. They also have their car wax which is in sprayable form. It works very well. Optimum`s thing is product synergy where all of their products work together.

I would consider taking the next step and do some sort of paint correction and gloss coat the cars. It will not only last longer than opti-seal but it will look better and make maintenance even easier.

My method for maintaining gloss coat on two cars is

ONR + big red sponge
    Optimum Instant Detailer as a drying aid

That is it. It is simple and effective. Opti-Seal can be used as a drying aid instead as gloss coat can be topped. It`s all personal preference. The protection with instant detailer is short and that is why I use it because I prefer to see the performance of gloss coat versus topping it with opti-seal. Opti-Seal works fine as I have used it once. It added gloss and slickness.

But my maintenance wash is simple.

If you do the occasional bucket wash their car shampoo is nice. Interior wise I had a sample of their leather protectant plus which can be used on pretty much most of the interior. Worked ok.

The opti-glass coating paired with opti-glass clean & protect makes a nice 1-2 combo for the glass.

Check out the rag channel on youtube. They have lots of videos on a lot of the optimum products.
    I wasn`t aware of Gloss-Coat. Thanks for the heads up. One question, will one 10ml syringe be enough for both of our cars? Also, is Hyper Polish good enough for any correcting that might be needed?

BTW, how do you like your 1999 Grand Prix GT? I had a 1998 GTP and that thing was a blast to drive! I got it up to 140 while driving between Billings and Bozeman, MT back when their speed limit was "reasonable and prudent"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ruleof72 View Post
    I wasn`t aware of Gloss-Coat. Thanks for the heads up. One question, will one 10ml syringe be enough for both of our cars? Also, is Hyper Polish good enough for any correcting that might be needed?

BTW, how do you like your 1999 Grand Prix GT? I had a 1998 GTP and that thing was a blast to drive! I got it up to 140 while driving between Billings and Bozeman, MT back when their speed limit was "reasonable and prudent"
    The 10cc would be enough for one. I would go with the 20cc to do both cars. I apply 2 coats one hour apart followed by 1 coat of opti-seal one hour after the last coat of opti-coat. Opti-Deal protects gloss coat during the 7 day curing time frame from water spotting and etching. One thing to also get is optimum paint prep which is the prep spray to prep the paint before it is coated.

I have not used hyper polish but it seems to be very versatile. It`s hard to tell without physically being there to do a test spot to see if hyper polish is enough to remove all the defects prior to coating it.

I`ve had my grand prix going on 17 1/2 years. It`s been great to drive it all these years.
    Likes JustJesus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

honorable mention to their carper cleaner and protectant

good stuff and you can dilute it

Brandt K.
    Likes The Guz, r111 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help so far everyone. I really appreciate it. I decided to go ahead and get some Gloss-Coat to put on my Volt as a test. If I like it there I`ll go ahead and put it on my wife`s car. Given that, I took a little time last night to really inspect the surface of my "new to me" 2014 Volt and found a fair amount of very light/light swirl marks, especially on the horizontal surfaces. They don`t look to bad but they are definitely there. Obviously I want to get those gone before I put on the Gloss-Coat.

My plan is to wash the car, clay it, correct the swirls then prep and install the Gloss-Coat. I have a DA polisher but no fresh polish. It looks like Optimum has a few different options but I have no idea which one might be the best. My guess is "Hyper Polish" or "Polish II" are the best options.

What`s everyone`s opinion on polish I should use? Also, would I need a "finishing" polish or will the Gloss-Coat take care of that?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

They hyper system seems to get good reviews. I have not used hyper compound and I have hyper polish on my shelf but have not used it yet. It`s a finishing polish.

I forgot that an iron remover would be nice to use on your light colored cars.

This might be a kit to look into that has everything you need. Good time to buy it is during a sale.

Optimum Complete Coating Kit
    Likes ruleof72 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    They hyper system seems to get good reviews. I have not used hyper compound and I have hyper polish on my shelf but have not used it yet. It`s a finishing polish.

I forgot that an iron remover would be nice to use on your light colored cars.

This might be a kit to look into that has everything you need. Good time to buy it is during a sale.

Optimum Complete Coating Kit
    I`m getting their small (10cc) coating prep kit from another forum member at a good price so that kit you referenced would be a bit much. It looks like from a couple of their videos that maybe hyper polish might be enough (fingers crossed) to take out the swirls on the Volt. They are very light. I guess I could try just the polish on a section and if it doesn`t work I can get some compound.

Thanks for reminding me about taking iron dust off. I just poked around the garage and see that I have 2/3 of a bottle of IronX that I got a few years ago. I`m assuming it would still be effective?

Post Thanks / Like

Ironx vein that old should still work. Check out the videos on hyper polish with a polishing pad as a test spot. You can adjust for there.

I`ve read from the optimum guys about using hyper polish with a cutting pad as well.

I would still till have a compound on hand. There are quite a few to choose from.

I usually use a Meguiar`s compound like M100, M101 or D300 + microfiber cutting pads. I`ve used ultimate compound as well which is also good. For polishing I usual use M205.

Post Thanks / Like

I have almost all the Optimum Products and also a DD 2001 Grand Prix.

I have narrowed down my maintanence routine and pre`coating prep.

Pre-Coating

ONR wash
    Optimum Hyper Compound and orange pad
    Optimum Hyper Polish and green pad
    Optimum Paint Prep

Coating
    Optimum Gloss Coat

Maintanence
    AIO Poli-Seal white pad (3 times a year)
    Collenite 845 (only non-Optimum product)
    Optimum Opti-Seal as needed between

This is just my rough routine, your mileage may vary.

Post Thanks / Like

I just wanted to update everyone on things. I got all my "ingredients" a couple days ago and my schedule allowed me to spend yesterday afternoon and today giving my 2014 Volt a complete work over.

I started with a quick wash and then gave it a bath with some IronX, which revealed quite a bit of contamination, more than I thought actually. I then clayed the car and while most of the car wasn`t too bad the hatchback and rear bumper area felt like sandpaper before I clayed. There was a lot of embedded stuff back there (the Volt apparently has a reputation for accumulating lots of crap back there). After a few minutes claying I succeeded in getting the paint nice and smooth. Now it was time to attack the swirl marks. Fortunately the Hyper Polish and Orange pads did the trick. It took me a few hours but I got the paint looking pretty good. I then went back over the car with a White pad and Hyper. Now the car was looking good!

I did a round with the Optimum Paint Cleaner and then applied the Gloss Coat, which was actually pretty easy. I did two coats waiting two hours between coats. I then waited 4 hours and just now finished with a quick coat of Opti-Seal. The end result is a car that pretty much shimmers! I`m very pleased with the results and am looking forward to seeing how the Gloss Coat holds up. I`m planning on doing the same routine to my Wife`s new car, which we should get in a few weeks.

Thanks everyone for the help with this.

Cheers!
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

That`s great news. Glad everything went well. Where are the pics lol.

Next time you do this, 1 hour between gloss coat applications is all you need. Same for opti-seal. 1 hour after the last coat of gloss coat is all you need. Will save you some time.

Post Thanks / Like

What`s the collinite for ? I would just do opti seal as maint along the lines if you feel the need for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information