Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mary B

Post Thanks / Like

Mary B

I read a story about the Harbor Freight rotary and someone using it for the first time. I can`t remember where I read it, but it was a good one! The rotary is alot like a floor buffer. They can kick your butt and work you until you learn the little tricks, so your the Boss and the polisher works for you.
    P.S. What`s all the white stuff all over that rotary? lol

I started with this one

I thought 30 bucks, great deal !
    Let me say this about starting with a Rotary... Was the Hardest polishing session I have done yet.
    Trying to Learn how to run a Rotary is much different than learning a DA. There where times I did`t know if I was
    Running the Rotary or it was running me. Might I add,
    I`m tall, quite strong from working hard all my life and that machine was Boss. Plus I had marks of every kind
    On my paint, when I was done.
    Took me a year, with a DA to repair what I thought at the time was a good job.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mary B

My first time on a rotary was almost 40 years ago. I was in seventh grade and my dad taught me on a green fiberglass ski boat, will never forget it. I can`t remember for the life of me what brand rotary it was, but shiny metal and built like a tank. That thing was so heavy, it kicked my butt. There is a learning curve! My dad was a great teacher and one of the hardest workers I know, I learned so many life lessons from that man.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikejames View Post
    I read a story about the Harbor Freight rotary and someone using it for the first time. I can`t remember where I read it, but it was a good one! The rotary is alot like a floor buffer. They can kick your butt and work you until you learn the little tricks, so your the Boss and the polisher works for you.
    P.S. What`s all the white stuff all over that rotary? lol

I started with this one

I thought 30 bucks, great deal !
    Let me say this about starting with a Rotary... Was the Hardest polishing session I have done yet.
    Trying to Learn how to run a Rotary is much different than learning a DA. There where times I did`t know if I was
    Running the Rotary or it was running me. Might I add,
    I`m tall, quite strong from working hard all my life and that machine was Boss. Plus I had marks of every kind
    On my paint, when I was done.
    Took me a year, with a DA to repair what I thought at the time was a good job.
    You should of seen the first panel I did... looked like I sprinkled powdered sugar over it !
    Once I wiped my solidly coated glasses off, so I could see. (wiped my face too, stuff tasted so so )
    That story would be a great beginners " What not to do " LOL

Quote Originally Posted by mikejames View Post
    My first time on a rotary was almost 40 years ago. I was in seventh grade and my dad taught me on a green fiberglass ski boat, will never forget it. I can`t remember for the life of me what brand rotary it was, but shiny metal and built like a tank. That thing was so heavy, it kicked my butt. There is a learning curve! My dad was a great teacher and one of the hardest workers I know, I learned so many life lessons from that man.
    Do you use a Rotary now ? I limit myself to the Flex Mini PE8 now. Got alot of respect for rotaries. They are Tops to me.
    Likes mikejames liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m gonna be pulling the rotary out today maybe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes mikejames, Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

You should of seen the first panel I did... looked like I sprinkled powdered sugar over it !
    Once I wiped my solidly coated glasses off, so I could see. (wiped my face too, stuff tasted so so )
    That story would be a great beginners " What not to do " LOL

Mary B I think you should publish the whole story! ROTFLMAO

Do you use a Rotary now ? I limit myself to the Flex Mini PE8 now. Got alot of respect for rotaries. They are Tops to me.

Not since last summer on the rotary. Trying to get this bad back healed up for spring. Thank you Mary for your great sense of humor.
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Regulars, or at least old-timers, here probably know that I started with a Milwaukee rotary back in the `70s. I`ve done OK, *never* damaged paint with one, not even once which is more than I can say about the PC. But I`ve *never* gotten to where I can always finish out hologram-free on b/c paint and I`ve simply quit using my rotaries (Metabo and Makita) and they just sit on the shelf. I oughta sell `em or something...but I might use one to run a Pad Washer or something some day.
    Likes mikejames, Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My first polisher was a Dewalt rotary sometime in mid-late 90`s. I learned how to polish using 3M`s foam perfect-it pads and 3M compounds and polishes. To this day I feel more confident using the same Dewalt as compared to my Rupes 15 mark II. I`ve never felt like the rotary was difficult to hold or handle. I just love the feel of the rotary and how I can feather the trigger.

Best move I made was loosing my large 3M Velcro backing pads. Switched to Flex`s 5in, 2in and 1in backing and pads. That makes the rotary so much more useful and easier to control in tight spots.
    Likes mikejames, danlc95 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

LEDetailing- Doesn`t surprise me, see how opinions/preferences differ?!? I do hear you on the small pads via rotary being handy though, and IIRC there`s something about the 3M velcro that bugs plenty of people.
    Likes mikejames, LEDetailng liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The problem I had and still do with rotaries is the flinging compound no matter how hard I try not to

Likes mikejames liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes mikejames, LEDetailng liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    LEDetailing- Doesn`t surprise me, see how opinions/preferences differ?!? I do hear you on the small pads via rotary being handy though, and IIRC there`s something about the 3M velcro that bugs plenty of people.
    I wasn`t even thinking so much about the Velcro, more the size of the huge 3M pads. Now that you mention it 3M`s Velcro did suck
    Likes Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder how I somehow sidestepped the Sling-factor?!? One of the things I *did* do OK with for some reason. Guess I`ll just be grateful.

Mary B- You *really* like that thing, huh?

LEDetailing- Guess I just never think much about the size since back in the day they only came in "REALLY big".

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator,

The Flex PE14 was the last machine on my list, till the Ibrid came out. Thinking of waiting to see what`s next.

Post Thanks / Like

Mary B- Yeah, that ibrid is calling *my* name too...(VISA card trembles in fear).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Mary B- Yeah, that ibrid is calling *my* name too...(VISA card trembles in fear).
    Me too. I`m just having to wait for funds right now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information