Post Thanks / Like

Review: Maveric`s Rim Juice

Clean Dean started a thread that introduced me to a new product, Rim Juice. I didn`t want to order a wheel cleaner online from them but when I stumbled upon it at VIP Auto, I decided to test it out.

1. Packaging & Labeling. Is it well packaged? Are the labels durable?
    It came in a clear spray bottle, nothing fancy or high tech.

2. Helpful instructions on label?
    Yes. A brief summary- Rinse wheel, do one at a time, spray onto the wheel, wait 30 seconds, rinse, and dry.

3. Does product do what the manufacturer claims it does?
    "No scrub Spray and Rinse Formula" on all types of wheels. Chrome plated, cleared, MAG, wire, anodized, polished aluminum.

4. Value. Is the product a good buy? If a liquid product, how much per ounce? Does a little go a long way?
    I used it per directions and it seemed to use about 1 oz PER WHEEL? Hard to tell. Could probably get about 10 cars out of it. At $5.99 (32 oz) thats about 50-60 cents per car. For it to work well you need a liberal amount of product for it to work.

5. Easy to use? Hard to use? Did you read the directions and use as directed?
    It couldn`t get easier. Spray it on, wait 30 seconds, spray it off. I used it per the directions and it worked decently. I could have kept spraying and rinsing a few more times but I decided to do some light agitation to speed the process up a little bit- results below

6. If known, what is the pH of the product? Is it safe for enthusiasts or should it be for professional use only?
    A member in another forum said it is around pH 10. Not sure what that means or the validity of it...

7. Describe the product smell, viscosity and other physical traits if any.
    Well I don`t recomend smelling or touching wheel acid/cleaner. But I did get a few whiffs of this stuff and it is fairly strong. A little inhalation made me cough. A little also got on my hands when I was scrubbing, no side effects even though I should have been wearing gloves. It is just an orange liquid product.

So there you have the written part of my review, now for the pictures. My Jeep is a good test bed for many products as some of you may know. It is a `98 and I have never taken the wheels off to clean them. So 8 years of brake dust can be a major pain to clean. I did the rear wheel (been rotated so it has even front and rear dust). I was planning on doing all four with some variations, scrubbing, no scrubbing, and comparing it to other products but it was raining too much for me to do so. So the pictures:

Before:

Rinsed with water:

Round 1 sprayed on:

(Rinsed)

Round 2 sprayed on:

At this point in time I decided the dust and grime was too much for this product to handle per the directions so I took out a brush and scrubbed them up:

Finished product and the product itself:

If you are looking for a good wheel cleaner that is strong, here it is. I was lucky enough to have found it locally, so check around for it. I can`t compare it to any other acid based products (PB, Auto Magic, etc) but it is a good product. It did a good job as a spray and rinse and with better cared for wheels it may be even better. But even with a little scrubbing I was surprised with the results. Hope this helps some people out .
    "Whether you think you can or think you can`t - you are right " -Henry Ford

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Maveric`s Rim Juice

WoW..it did a nice job..that wheel was awful...

Nice review...I like what I see....my have to look for it here in Mass...dout I will find it...I want it to clean the inside of my CC mags...they are getting little black dots....it is not brake dust..as I have to say..the ceramic pads do stop it...I want to clean them off..and use the collonite metal wax to coat them....they are stock 04 Ranger Mags....machined ones...

You did a great job on the reviews...kudos for you

Al
    2004 Ford Ranger 4x4
    Bright Red
    My PitBull Rides Shotgun

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job on the review...I would have to say that those rims where pretty nasty so some brush work didn`t surprise me.....Even PB S&R would have needed that IMO.....I guess this is just another fairly safe rim cleaner that can be used on about all rims...that alone is nice to have not worrying about clouding or etching a rim.....I`ll get some if I see it in the store other wise I`m staying with PB S&R...Thanks again for the review nice job
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Yup they were very bad. With these wheels the dust just stays on the backside of the wheel because there are only 5 small holes. I am going to get some PB shortly and see how it compares. It seems to be safe to me but I don`t dare to try it on bare aluminum though. Yup if you see it, pick it up but I don`t think I would order it online as long as (from what I hear) PBs Spray and Rinse is around.

Post Thanks / Like

6. If known, what is the pH of the product? Is it safe for enthusiasts or should it be for professional use only?
    A member in another forum said it is around pH 10. Not sure what that means or the validity of it...
    You have your pH scale backwards. The pH should be <7 for it to be acidic.

Post Thanks / Like

I went back to the other forum (NSX Prime) and in an e-mail from Maveric`s said it was pH 10 and I guess the new version is close to neutral.
    Clean Dean in the other thread here said that it is oxalic acid in the product FWIW.

TheDetailingHandBook.com Mikeyc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I might take a little drive over to VIP to buy some of this stuff. I want to check it out. I`m a little skeptical though. pH is now neutral and can be used on any type of wheel finish but the active ingredient is an acid? This just doesn`t add up.

Post Thanks / Like

I tested it out again today. I am confident to say that this does work as a spray and rinse product. It didn`t quite cut it for me so I did scrub the wheels a little but none the less the product does work well. Here are the pictures:

Rear wheel:

Close Up:

Sprayed/rinsed:

Sprayed/rinsed again:

I then went on and scrubbed the last little bit of tar and dust off.

Now for the front wheel:

A little more dust:

Somewhere in this series I did infact scrub (I think). But either way the wheel is clean and that is all that matters.

Formerly TexasTB Tex Star Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I was skeptical at first, but those results look good. Not sure I would buy it in that small of quanity though. Do they make it in gallon sizes? Link?
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t think they come in different sizes (just 32 oz) but here is the link: http://www.rimjuice.com/ I bought it locally for 7 bucks I think but I probably wouldn`t make a special order for it (since I`d get PB Spray and Rinse...which i still need to get...). The bottle and sprayer are very poor quality but switching out bottles is easy.

Post Thanks / Like

Budman that was a great review of our product!! Much appreciated.

8 years of baked in grime and dust gone in minutes!!

I thought I`d chime in on the acidity issue. The formula we use is a PH NEUTRAL formula. what this means is it`s non-acidic!! A can of coke is more acidic. We use a VERY expensive soap that cleans and leaves a shine. You would be surprised to know that nearly every wheel cleaner mentioned in these posts contains acid or a chemical that functions much the same way an acid does. Ours uses a very different solution for breaking down baked in grime/dust.

We are using an improved bottle and no fail sprayer. All part of the growth.

So sit back, relax, and watch as the brake dust and grime melt right off your rims!! Hopefully you clean them more than every 8 years like budman!

In MASS product can purchased in CAP Auto or VIP.

Thank you to all that support our hard work by purchaing the product.

Maveric

Thread Information