Post Thanks / Like

I need some help with highway paint slings!

Yesterday I decided to start on the most complete wash I`ve ever given my truck (I wash it once a week) and noticed that on the drivers side, I now have what appears to be highway striping paint slung on the underside of my fender flairs, and a limited amount on the lower side of the truck. Just went on a long trip and must have picked it up somewhere along the way.

It seems stuck on really well and is surprisingly hard. My new pre-level chemicals come in any day now, and I`m trying to prepare for the "Big Day" and this happens.

How in the world do I fix this? It really seems like it will take something severe enough to damage my paint. The specks are about what you would see if you spun a paint roller with thick latex house paint about 5 feet from the truck.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I need some help with highway paint slings!

Quote Originally Posted by Krodad
    Yesterday I decided to start on the most complete wash I`ve ever given my truck (I wash it once a week) and noticed that on the drivers side, I now have what appears to be highway striping paint slung on the underside of my fender flairs, and a limited amount on the lower side of the truck. Just went on a long trip and must have picked it up somewhere along the way.

It seems stuck on really well and is surprisingly hard. My new pre-level chemicals come in any day now, and I`m trying to prepare for the "Big Day" and this happens.

How in the world do I fix this? It really seems like it will take something severe enough to damage my paint. The specks are about what you would see if you spun a paint roller with thick latex house paint about 5 feet from the truck.
    I did a job just like this on a SUV it was all over the side of the car...I used lacquer thinner but you really have to be careful with this stuff. Do not get this on finished plastic except for the wheel well plastic....I would suggest for a must less aggressive product that works well is mineral spirits will do the same the thinner but will not hurt the paint on your car. I do this while washing the car with a rag wipe area to remove them soapy water and rinse right away...work in very small areas like 12x12 inches to keep good control over the area....Clay once your done and then polish and re-protect.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

lacquer thinner
    but you really have to be careful with this stuff.
    This is the most aggressive method.

Mineral spirits
    Will do the same the thinner but will not hurt the paint on your car.
    not sure the side effects of this product, (never tried it)

Other options are

Prep solve
    Maybe the 2nd least aggressive method.
    Tried this method. was not impressed with it. had to work me arm off and at the angle of the lower 1/4 pannels my shoulders were spent.

Reducer (it comes in 3 forms)
    Fast evaporating
    Medium evaporating
    Slow evaporating

I would choose the slowest evaporating rate you can get, work small areas,
    This is the 2nd most aggressive method. Tired this method, work best for my environment.
    Beercan

Post Thanks / Like

Gunk Bug and Tar remover. I sat on my concrete driveway for 4 hours doing the sides of my car when I got it. Smells like diesel, and you`ll have to wash the car after using. It loosened it up, and took endless rubbing with a terry cloth. It nearly dissolved the tar, but the paint took work, I`m surprised it didn`t take the clearcoat with it.
    2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
    4.7L PowerTech H.O. V8
    Borla Catback
    Infinity Gold Sound System/10 Disc Changer
    XM Radio

Formerly TexasTB Tex Star Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

maybe use a plastic razor blade with said chemicals above to help speed the process.
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Krodad
    I`ve heard this trick from others and it seems to work. Try peanut butter. Not the "chunky" kind, but the smooth kind. Don`t put it on with anything sharp, just "dab" it on, let it sit for a bit and wipe off. Experiment with how much and the time left on and see if it takes off the specks. Start small in a place not noticed to much. I`m not really sure how or why the oils work, but it does.

Can`t hurt and it is very cheap.

Hope it helps.
    JW-`73 El Camino SS - They`ll get my Elky when they pry it from my cold, dead hands! a73elkyss web site.

Thread Information