Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: hail damage - pdr vs replace hood

I am using insurance in the sense that as soon as it happened I had my insurance look at the car and they cut me a check for $3k. They said that by accepting the money I was not forfeiting anything, so when I actually have the work done if it looks like it will cost more, the body shop can submit a form for me. When I actually went to a PDR guy for an estimate, he figured at least 5-6k total. I have a mild lift and you really just don`t see the roof much. There is one big one in front of the sunroof I wouldn`t mind fixing but I don`t know if I want them doing everything they have to to get to it. But the hood is obvious, to both me and others, so I`m definitely doing something with that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani View Post
    In all actuality, top tier Aftermarket parts from Keystone fit extremely well. Even with the same or better crash ratings then OEM. I know many shops that prefer to use them instead of a salvage part. And, Keystone guarantees a proper fit. Plus, once the salvage yard drops off a used hood pretty much every edge is scraped and banged up where the A/M part comes in a box like a new one.
    Which is exactly what I said... "Of course some are better than others."

After owning a hi-line (rollback) towing business for almost 20 years (been retired for 12)... been there, done that. Spent many hours, many days, in body shops, dealerships, you name it.

Keystone has some good parts, although not ALL of them fit like the shops would like. Had to have more than one fender replaced on my daughters car, (Pontiac G6 GTP) a few years back. She kept the shops IN BUSINESS for a few years there. OMG did she keep them in business!!!! The LF fender was so bad, (along with a Keystone headlight that just didn`t match the 2 year old OEM one) that they ended up pulling them off and putting `crash parts` on. Still do business with that shop manager in fact (although he`s at Hennessy now), was there this week actually.

Same thing with LMC truck though on quality parts. I`d bet overall they make some pretty darned good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani;20520s24
    Reconditioned is a remanufactured part. Just like when you buy a starter, alternator, etc from a place like Pep Boys, O`Rielys or NAPA. Many times coming with a lifetime warranty. Used OEM is called LKQ (Like, Kind & Quality). These come directly from Salvage Yards.
    "LKQ" also doesn`t mean *everything* they sell is a salvage part. They also sell imported parts, straight off the boat. There is a LKQ lot about 30 minutes from me, big one in fact.

As far as being around recyclers/dismantlers... my wife works at a nationwide salvage auction (sells entire vehicles `as is`) to the industry as a whole. She`s been there over 30 years, making sure all those titles are in order.
    Later,

Cardaddy aka/Tony
    DetailedReflection@charter.net

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by theliman View Post
    I am using insurance in the sense that as soon as it happened I had my insurance look at the car and they cut me a check for $3k. They said that by accepting the money I was not forfeiting anything, so when I actually have the work done if it looks like it will cost more, the body shop can submit a form for me. When I actually went to a PDR guy for an estimate, he figured at least 5-6k total. I have a mild lift and you really just don`t see the roof much. There is one big one in front of the sunroof I wouldn`t mind fixing but I don`t know if I want them doing everything they have to to get to it. But the hood is obvious, to both me and others, so I`m definitely doing something with that.
    Well... not exactly a "form".

When/if it runs over the Insurance Estimate they have to submit a "supplement" to the company. Then they have to wait on approval, and only THEN (after approval) can they proceed with the repair.

I`ve got a vehicle back in the body shop now for them to fix the paint that never was right, (back from January/February). Shop manager thought it was going to take 24 hours, then I had to remind them the steering sector is popping now (after the accident). So now they`re having to submit YET ANOTHER supplement, wait on approval, and *maybe* by the end kf the week we`ll get the car back agsin.

(Third time its been there for the same repair!)

OTOH... Shop gave me a 2106 Yukon to drive in the interim.... works for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    Later,

Cardaddy aka/Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Salvage yard the panels and have the car resprayed... or wrapped..

Post Thanks / Like

Those estimates are ridiculous. My guy 500.00 tops. He takes it off the car (4 bolts) and couple hours sanding and blazing then done. IMHO 3000.00 would do the whole car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrispyGP2001 View Post
    Those estimates are ridiculous. My guy 500.00 tops. He takes it off the car (4 bolts) and couple hours sanding and blazing then done. IMHO 3000.00 would do the whole car.
    Old topic, and somewhat off the original point... Quite frankly, if someone quoted me $3K to repaint an entire 4Runner, I`d run away fast. No way a quality job can be that cheap on the entire vehicle. Many moons ago - probably 14-15 years, I had a brand new Tacoma that got blasted by hail. It even hit it sideways, denting vertical panels. Insurance paid for my PDR and it was $2K give or take to remove every dent from every panel. I didn`t want to repaint an entire brand new vehicle, and regardless of our opinions on whether the factory job is better than an aftermarket job, paint repairs on a vehicle decrease the value, whether you trade or sell.

Would be interested to hear what OP did to rectify his situation.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

How did your PDR come out? I`ve got a PDR guy coming Tuesday and hoping for good results. They gave me an estimate of $400 to $650 for knocking out 7 small dents.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    How did your PDR come out? I`ve got a PDR guy coming Tuesday and hoping for good results. They gave me an estimate of $400 to $650 for knocking out 7 small dents.
    It went extremely well. You couldn`t tell there was ever a dent there. I`ve had it done a few times since then on various vehicles - usually one to two dents/dings at a time -and am always amazed at how they can make it like it never happened. I think I`ve paid between $80-100 on those times, and all those times have been on same-panel repairs. If you can find a good PDR guy, it`s worth every penny.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW.... my FIL had a MAJOR hail storm hit his 1 year old Nissan a few years ago. It had over 60 dings per horizontal panel. Yes... SIXTY!!!!! From marble to golf ball sized hail. I thought they`d total it (State Farm) but they did PDR on it. It even dented the A-pillars, which are HARD to dent and even harder to do PDR on. They had to paint those, just no way to reach all the dents. But the hood, tops of the fenders, left side, roof, trunk etc. you`d never know was damaged. The PDR estimate for that one was just under $4800, and of course they went well over that all said and done. ;-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk
    Later,

Cardaddy aka/Tony

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information