Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Should I let the dealer wash my new car before delivery?

Thanks everyone.

I talked to the salesman today in person, we went to go look at the car and he at least acted like it wasnt supposed to be washed. He did note on the board it SHOULDNT have been washed, but when they are basically an assembly line of washing/waxing cars, they probably dont pay much attention.

I did explain to him why I was adamant about them not touching the car. If you`ve seen the pic I posted, that was my Opti-coated G37 after the dealer ignored my DO NOT WASH note. I actually got them to pay to fix it, so its definitely possible to get compensation. Hopefully none will be necessary in this case (I wanted to get the car Opti-coated anyway, but if the detailers prep reveals swirling, etc, Im going to note it and go after the dealer at least for the $$$ for paint correction time)

We`re picking up the car tomorrow, but since its already "waxed" I wont see much. Im not going to strip the LSP on purpose, so the truth wont really be revealed until I can get a detailer on it.

Post Thanks / Like

photo (3) by Thomas Dekany, on Flickr

This is how I picked up our new car. In your case, being that it is silver, chances are that you will be ok, but ask the "detailer" (I guess this one can`t even read) if he used a polisher on the paint. This is important. If he used a rotary, you will have a mess on your hands. I would refuse it. On another note, I doubt that they actually used a "WAX" - most likely a glaze. I am surprised that with your previous experience, you are ok with this. May I sell you the Brooklyn bridge?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Dekany View Post
    photo (3) by Thomas Dekany, on Flickr

This is how I picked up our new car. In your case, being that it is silver, chances are that you will be ok, but ask the "detailer" (I guess this one can`t even read) if he used a polisher on the paint. This is important. If he used a rotary, you will have a mess on your hands. I would refuse it. On another note, I doubt that they actually used a "WAX" - most likely a glaze. I am surprised that with your previous experience, you are ok with this. May I sell you the Brooklyn bridge?
    Why would you be surprised? Where I work they use clay, polishes, DAs, wax, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Because of what I have seen personally. And I mean brand new cars, "prepped" by the dealer`s detail department that needed 20-30 hours of correction work. It is usually wash, rotary with glaze. NEXT! It isn`t like dealerships have stellar reputation or am I in the twilight zone? I am surprised that you would question me questioning a dealer who would use an actual wax. Most don`t. It is so common, that the OP himself ran into this. Did you not see his picture of his previous car?

That type of damage doesn`t come from using proper detailing techniques.

PS: I know lots of "pro detailers" around Portland who "use" the same as your dealership and I wouldn`t let them near my cars for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by SYMAWD View Post
    Why would you be surprised? Where I work they use clay, polishes, DAs, wax, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

They told me they didn`t polish it. They did clay, so I guess there could be some marring from that, but they were quick to point out no polishing.

So hopefully the marring is minimal.

And no I`m not ok with it but what can I do? There are 4 of this specific car, option, color combo east of the Mississippi....cant exactly go pick another one off the lot

Post Thanks / Like

Because of what I have seen personally. And I mean brand new cars, "prepped" by the dealer`s detail department that needed 20-30 hours of correction work. It is usually wash, rotary with glaze. NEXT! It isn`t like dealerships have stellar reputation or am I in the twilight zone? I am surprised that you would question me questioning a dealer who would use an actual wax. Most don`t. It is so common, that the OP himself ran into this. Did you not see his picture of his previous car?

That type of damage doesn`t come from using proper detailing techniques.

PS: I know lots of "pro detailers" around Portland who "use" the same as your dealership and I wouldn`t let them near my cars for anything.
    Ok, we have different first hand experiences.

Post Thanks / Like

Refuse it and order another one.

Quote Originally Posted by chris03tl View Post
    They told me they didn`t polish it. They did clay, so I guess there could be some marring from that, but they were quick to point out no polishing.

So hopefully the marring is minimal.

And no I`m not ok with it but what can I do? There are 4 of this specific car, option, color combo east of the Mississippi....cant exactly go pick another one off the lot

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SYMAWD View Post
    Ok, we have different first hand experiences.
    I guess so - I detail for a living, what do you do?

Post Thanks / Like

I guess so - I detail for a living, what do you do?
    Full time student that also works at 2 dealerships full time and detail for a hobby.

Post Thanks / Like

That explains your lack of experience - did you notice that the answer to the original question was NO from every reply? Do you wonder why?

Post Thanks / Like

That explains your lack of experience - did you notice that the answer to the original question was NO from every reply? Do you wonder why?
    I know that some dealers do not know anything about detailing a car, but no one on this forum has ever seen the detail department at the dealership the OP is buying the car from. Everyone is just giving him an uninformed answer with no actual facts to back it up. This is why I suggested the OP visits his dealership and asks to see the detail department so that he can make an informed decision on whether or not he wants the dealership to detail his car. As I have posted earlier in this thread with pictures, some dealerships do know how to detail a car properly. It`s as simple as dealership hacks in every case.
    Likes GearHead_1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

We do not need to see the detail department in order to make a suggestion. Never ever let any dealership touch the paint - before or after the sale. It is that simple really. Especially the one the op is working with. They can`t even read
    Likes Bill D liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have visited the detailer department at a dealership. When we purchased my wife`s car, I asked for it to be washed and then we would inspect it. This car had been sitting on the lot for 6 months so I knew one more wash was not going to change anything.

His "shop" seemed to be mostly a wash bay in the garage. I am not sure if he did any polishing. They may have had it done elsewhere since this was a well known dealer name that sold virtually every brand.

I did check it over and it looked very good but we did see a very slight scratch (over 1 ft long) in the hood. What did the detailer do when I pointed it out? He took an rag that had seen better days and applied a wax to it and yes it did disappear. I knew I could buff it out so we took the car.

Now, the Chrysler place would take new cars to a local car wash to prep for sales and delivery on Saturdays.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

chris03tl- You sound pretty determined to take delivery so fingers crossed that it`s not too messed up.

Some sorta-random thoughts:

-Dealer using clay instead of chemical decontamination sounds wrong to me (what automaker specifies clay? Many specify "ABC")
    -I did New Car Prep at a dealership (way back in the `70s) and I DID NOT mess anything up, not once
    -My Audi dealer once had a New Car Prep guy who was great, did some new cars for my family with zero issues
    -Those last two points having been said, I can count on one hand the new cars I`ve seen in the last decade that looked OK to me; while "all generalizations are false" comes to mind, it`d take some convincing for me to let *anybody* touch any of my cars. Heh heh, if I could find a local detailer who was good enough I`d probably quit doing this stuff and just let him handle it

Post Thanks / Like

Picked up the car....looks fine, for now. Cant find any swirls, but if they used a glaze then all will be hidden for now.

On the bright side, it should be easy to hide stuff in this paint....its not as light as silver, but its definitely not dark by any means.

Ive learned for the future....put it in the sales order. I cant see walking away from a car because of something that *might* be under there, but best make sure they don`t touch it at all so there is no question that everything is "out in the open" so to speak. I pays my price and I learns my lessons. Worst case is I let a pro at it, Im going to attempt it myself first (want to get a clear bra installed so I figured Id work the front end of the car first to see whats really under whatever the dealer applied)
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information