Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Should I let the dealer wash my new car before delivery?

I wouldn`t trust them to attempt to fix anything if you find something. If you have all the detailing equipment you need, best to do it yourself.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

So working at a dealership myself and watching are hack "detailer" guys "clean" cars I would say to you HECK NO!!!! ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!! I personally would NOT let any dealership even wash my bike!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Gotta ABC wash it when you get it home That will eliminate contamination
    Yeah, that`s what I`d do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Yeah, that`s what I`d do.
    Valugard ABC ?

Are there any less aggressive alternatives ?

Post Thanks / Like

Actually it`s not that aggressive just gotta follow the instructions
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Actually it`s not that aggressive just gotta follow the instructions
    I gotta read the stuff in the box ?!?!?!?!?!

There has to be a different way
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

chris03tl- Yeah, ValuGard`s ABC system, which is approved/recommended by virtually all the major automakers.

Less aggressive? Can`t get much less aggressive than doing a series of three washes...IMO it`s at least *potentially* much less aggressive, yet more effective, than claying. (Certainly not hating on clay, I`ve used it since it first came out and continue to do so, but not for this situation.)

I understand the reasons why people don`t do it, especially the "gee, I gotta buy all that stuff?!?...I`ll never use it all and it`s pricey!" But I still think it`s the best thing to do with a new-to-somebody vehicle. While I`ll stick with the ValuGard products, there are a lot of similar-idea alternatives on the market that are perhaps better oriented towards the non-Pro if only because they`re available in smaller quantities. I doubt they have the same degree of testing behind them (what could?!?), but hopefully they`re OK (note that the quite effective FinishKare version, which I`ve used successfully, is almost certainly *not* as safe, for the vehicle, user, or the environment and I only said "almost certainly" because I`ve never done any objective testing..but it seems rather obvious).

EDIT: I myself wish ABC were a little bit *more* aggressive!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    I gotta read the stuff in the box ?!?!?!?!?!

There has to be a different way
    Harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    chris03tl- Yeah, ValuGard`s ABC system, which is approved/recommended by virtually all the major automakers.

Less aggressive? Can`t get much less aggressive than doing a series of three washes...IMO it`s at least *potentially* much less aggressive, yet more effective, than claying. (Certainly not hating on clay, I`ve used it since it first came out and continue to do so, but not for this situation.)

I understand the reasons why people don`t do it, especially the "gee, I gotta buy all that stuff?!?...I`ll never use it all and it`s pricey!" But I still think it`s the best thing to do with a new-to-somebody vehicle. While I`ll stick with the ValuGard products, there are a lot of similar-idea alternatives on the market that are perhaps better oriented towards the non-Pro if only because they`re available in smaller quantities. I doubt they have the same degree of testing behind them (what could?!?), but hopefully they`re OK (note that the quite effective FinishKare version, which I`ve used successfully, is almost certainly *not* as safe, for the vehicle, user, or the environment and I only said "almost certainly" because I`ve never done any objective testing..but it seems rather obvious).

EDIT: I myself wish ABC were a little bit *more* aggressive!
    Thanks. Just a little scary when I see "acid" as the first step, granted its not actual acid. For all I know, its what the dealer would use to prep the car (I highly doubt it but might try and find out)

I did equate it with the FinishKare version which Ive seen a lot of people (including yourself) say is too aggressive. Its nice to know the ABC is not.

As far as "buying all that stuff", well, there is a ton of detailing stuff I have that Ive never even used. Call it the price of a hobby.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris03tl View Post
    Thanks. Just a little scary when I see "acid" as the first step, granted its not actual acid. For all I know, its what the dealer would use to prep the car (I highly doubt it but might try and find out)...
    The ABC system *is* what many dealers are supposed to use when they prep cars (even has a Ford part number), not that I believe it gets done all that often.

The acidic step is actually the *second* step (the terminology/product descriptions can be a little confusing). It`s *very* mild IME, almost too mild but I was told that`s intentional so as to make it foolproof when used by, uhm...perhaps imperfectly trained employees. The upside is that it`s nothing to be concerned about, but do wear gloves when using it.

The *only* thing to watch for is that you`re not supposed to let it dry on the vehicle (gotta apply that second/"B"/acidic step by wiping it on the vehicle. IME it`s not utterly critical and I always found it easy to keep things wet even on large vehicles (but note that I work inside/out of the sun).

I did equate it with the FinishKare version which Ive seen a lot of people (including yourself) say is too aggressive. Its nice to know the ABC is not.
    Right, whole different ballgame in that regard.

As far as "buying all that stuff", well, there is a ton of detailing stuff I have that Ive never even used. Call it the price of a hobby.
    And note that the first/"A"/alkaline step is a good "super shampoo" to use as an initial step when doing a "full restart" type of detail. Gets everything off, and without the chance of marring the paint by claying.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris03tl View Post
    As far as "buying all that stuff", well, there is a ton of detailing stuff I have that Ive never even used. .
    I can relate !!!
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

NO!
    *Unless you want to practice polishing dealer-installed scratches (swirls+RIDS) from your new car` paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, this is all moot now.

After numerous times of telling them not to, and confirming with the salesman that they had noted it and even put up on the "cars to detail today" board (i.e. DONT DETAIL THE ATOMIC SILVER ES), they went ahead and washed/waxed it anyway.

Got a chance to talk to their detailers and they seemed to know what they are doing. The "dealer installed" wax was already on the car by the time I got to it (literally 2 hours went by between when the salesman said the car was in and when I got there.....they couldnt leave it alone for 2 lousy hours), and its still in their bay so I couldnt see it under sunlight yet.

I explained to them why I was so adamant about them not touching it, so tomorrow should be interesting if I find anything (supposed to be sunny, luckily). Obviously the real proof wont come until all the crap they apply is removed to really see whats under there.

Post Thanks / Like

Man that`s irritating

Post Thanks / Like

Lesson learned:
    "Do not wash/do not detail/ do not touch" needs to be in writing on your state`s legal vehicle purchase contract in the "other agreements/additional terms" category AND initialed and dated by both you and the dealership representative/sales person. You also need to specify what would be the result or conditions IF these terms are not meet, like "dealer to pay for professional detailer of buyer`s choice or preference not to exceed $XXX.xx (USA)OR dealer to pay buyer $XXX.xx (USA) for such failure to meet terms and conditions agreed upon." (No, I am not a lawyer, but I have been accused of being one for even suggesting this!)

GOOD LUCK WITH THAT! There is not a dealer who will agree to this, UNLESS they are desperate to sell the vehicle. You may also have to sign a waiver voiding your (new) vehicle warranty (including mechanical engine and drivetrain, which has NOTHING to do with the exterior care) because you are forcing the dealer to not follow manufacturer`s customer pre-delivery protocol and procedures. It`s up to you.

I think you could ask the dealer to see their vehicle delivery prep area and watch their associates/detailers/lot-persons do what they are suppose to do to a new vehicle for customer delivery and pickup . If they cannot agree to do this (and they may not for business insurance and liability reasons), NO, I would not let them touch my new car. But that`s my personal take on things.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

In one instance I simply refused delivery and in another I received adequate compensation, but in those cases the dealership wanted to retain my patronage and understood that [ticking] me off wasn`t in their best interest. Other than those two times (and I`ve bought a lot of new cars), I`ve never had a problem with the "no cosmetic prep" stipulation. Eh, just one of those YMMV things as there are a lot of variables.

chris03tl- If their prep marred up the paint, well...I think you can guess what *I* would do, but you gotta do what`s right for *YOU* and maybe you lucked out anyhow and it didn`t get damaged. I`ll be interested to hear how it turns out and I`m hoping for the best.
    Likes Thomas Dekany liked this post

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information