Post Thanks / Like

Mildew smell in trunk

Anyone got ideas on how to get a mildew smell out of a trunk. Guess some snow got in there and soaked into the "carpet" in the trunk..and there is a strong mildew smell. I pulled the mat, scrubbed the metal with fantastick then sprayed with lysol..sprayed the wet areas of the mat with lysol - but I still smell it - tried febreeze - but nope same thing.

Anyone?
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mildew smell in trunk

Quote Originally Posted by groebuck
    Anyone got ideas on how to get a mildew smell out of a trunk. Guess some snow got in there and soaked into the "carpet" in the trunk..and there is a strong mildew smell. I pulled the mat, scrubbed the metal with fantastick then sprayed with lysol..sprayed the wet areas of the mat with lysol - but I still smell it - tried febreeze - but nope same thing.

Anyone?

The mold maybe growing up under the area where your speakers are.....I would empty the whole trunk out.....clean and get everything dry especially the mat and rug part then you should be good to go.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

YOU could have a leak in your weather stripping......but yeah make sure everything is clean and dry......then put a baking soda refridgerator box in the truck that will absorb all the smell and bacteria....these baking soda boxes are like 59 cents at walmart

good luck

Post Thanks / Like

no no leak I checked - I will try removing the whole thing and wiping it down

Post Thanks / Like

Try steaming the trunk. it will kill almost all the mold and get rid of the nasty stuff you dont see.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Since your profile doesn`t list your location, (hint), my suggestion may not be of any value for you.
    Fresh air seems to work wonders with removing odors for me. If you can leave the trunk open for several hours a day, it should help a lot.
    Fabric softener sheets for use in the dryer will help mask the odor, but won`t remove it.

Charles

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Try putting some cake in there

No really..try some Natural Look if you need something stronger give me a ring...I got something stronger
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

I had water coming in from the seems of the wheelwell from inside the trunk Pull the carpet back from the wheelwells on the inside of the trunk ,if it is leaking it will leave rust or water stains on the wheelwells. If you have a rear power antenna you can look and see if the rubber seal is worn and letting water in the trunk..

In bed with your wife 2005Accord's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You should also consider Damp Rid..that, too, will absorb moisture and odor...I agree with leaving the lid open several hours a day. I had the same problem with a 93 Corsica i used to own. I had awreck and it slightly twisted the front end and opened up gaps in my windshield. I would have a flooded interior everytime it rained. I eventually got mold and damp rid/airing out helped.

Bottom line is: find the cause...don`t band-aid it.

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Once you`ve done all they said, and cleaned it up, organic problems (like mold and mildew) respond well to enzyme deoderizers, or ones with a quat in it. I only know commercial brands, but perhaps someone knows an OTC brand.
    Brenton Dickieson

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to give OdoBan a try.http://www.cleancontrol.com/OdoBanRe...dorOdoBan.html

It is available at most Sam`s Clubs. It is a deodorizer, sanitizer, virucide, disinfectant, and most imporatantly for you, a mildewstat.

I used it to remove the remaining stench from my refrigerator after Hurricane Rita. Imagine a fully stocked refrigerator left closed without electricity for ~ 3 weeks during the summer. It eliminated all residual odors from the fridge after I thought that I had already thoroughly cleaned it.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh the cause it not a leak or anything - it was a chunk of snow that made it in the trunk and then the car was in the garage for weeks - the cold weather - the sealed trunk - it got stinky..

Even after I wiped up all the excess water - I had to leave the trunk open for 24 hours to get it to completly dry. And I have found a really good natural odor/fungus/mildew killer etc...

Two teaspoons of tea tree oil mixed with two cups of water in a spray bottle - I just sprayed the trunk. (Tea Tree Oil has a strong smell but it dissapates in a day or so) - if you don`t want the smell at all you can use grapeseed oil extract (about 20 drops in 2 cups of water.)

Thanks for all the advice ! (I was going to try cake PB but the slice would never make it to the car!)

Post Thanks / Like

Chlorine bleach is the best mold and mildew killer that I know of. A good scrubbing with bleach including pouring some in places you can`t reach should help. As for the carpet... you may be better off bringing it to the local car wash to be steam cleaned or toss it and get a new one.
    Leo

1986 El Camino
    1997 Lincoln Mark VIII
    1999 Cadillac Seville
    1951 Fiat 500C

Thread Information