Thread: Salt Help!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Salt Help!!!!

Hello,

I recently parked my car on the lowest level of a parking ramp over New Year`s Eve. I was on-call at the hospital, so I didn`t get back to my car until 12 hours later when I found a mini-disaster. Salty water from up above had been dripping onto my car the whole time, leaving spill and spatter from the roof, down the windshield, and onto the hood. I went to a spotless car wash the next day and it barely touched it. What can I do? I know I`m not a professional or weekend detailer, but I couldn`t find answers anywhere else on the web!!

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Salt Help!!!!

If you don`t have a way of bucket washing the vehicle, I think I would consider finding a professional in your area that does hand washes to get it cleaned up as soon as you can.
    Touchless washes don`t do much and the washes with brushes usually leave some marring behind. In your case, some marring might be better than leaving the salt. Tough call.

Charles

Pinnacle Detailing Owner GregCavi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

find a buddy with a pressure washer, preferably under 1500 psi. remember to use the lightest setting possible and dont get to close to the paint. Be careful!

Greg

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Adding to ^^, use a slick, expensive soap and a nice mitt. It costs more to go to a hand car wash, but can be worth it.
    Brenton Dickieson

Post Thanks / Like

Oh man I would have flipped... Sorry to hear about that. The auto wash didn`t even work... wow... I would follow the above comments... You could also go to those do it yourself pressure washes... But be carefull with those... They are powerful. Let it soak for a while and do the rest of the car in the meantime.

Good luck!
    2008 Chevy Aveo LS Sedan - Fire Red

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

The pressure wash would be better than leaving the salt residue, but my experience with pressure washers, (All of them), is that they still leave a film on my vehicles no matter what soap or how long I use them.
    That`s why I recommended a bucket wash. Either by yourself or by a professional.

Charles

Pinnacle Detailing Owner GregCavi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats a good point Charles! he might want to go to the coin op and spray off and then proceed to wash at home with a 2 bucket system.

Greg

TheDetailingHandBook.com Mikeyc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If this happened in a parking garage there`s an excellent chance that this is not salt at all. It could easily be lime which has leached out of the cement. I believe this may be the case if a car wash did not remove it. If it`s lime I would try some clay, polish, or maybe a vinegar solution. If those don`t work I believe TOL sells a cement remover that you could try.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW
    my experience with pressure washers, (All of them), is that they still leave a film on my vehicles no matter what soap or how long I use them.
    That`s why I recommended a bucket wash. Either by yourself or by a professional.

Charles
    Thanks, Charles. You just saved me several hundred dollars.

Charles :drunk:

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crobinso
    Thanks, Charles. You just saved me several hundred dollars.

Charles :drunk:
    Glad it helped.
    Pressure washers have their place, but they aren`t a cure-all and probably not for everyone.
    I have a 6 hp, gas engine, 2200 lb. unit that is handy for cleaning decks, house siding, boats, docks, driveways, but doesn`t get used on the vehicles. It would probably be good to do wheel-wells with, but I don`t even use it for that. I just go to the DIY spray wash and hit the wheel-wells once in awhile. Actually, it is usually at the lake where it will be used. Other than cleaning the boats, it wasn`t a very necessary investment. (But I just had to have one.)

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of your input. MickeyC takes the cake, however. I tried his vinegar idea, since I don`t have access to a pressure wash, and it did the trick almost instantly. Thank you so much!!!

Thread Information