Seeking the perfect shine C_Rock77's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Confused about Layering Waxes/Sealants

I have some questions about layering of sealants and waxes. I keep hearing about polishes and glazes that contain Carnuba or other oils...and layering acrylic sealants directly on top of them.

For example: Layering EX-P directly over Vanilla Moose. Don`t the oils in VM interfere with the bonding of sealants onto the paint? I`m MOSLTLY curious about Wolfgang, EX-P, and UPP sealants, as they are the ones that I CURRENTLY own.

I`m quite confused with that funny animal, Vanilla Moose. I`ve not used it, nor do I fully understand it`s place in paint care. It almost seems that the ways it`s used...and the things used on top of it almost defy many of the principles I THOUGHT I understood about sealants, etc. I`m quite curious, as I`d like to try this product. I`ve heard too many good things about it not to try it.

What sealants will bond over wax/oils?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Confused about Layering Waxes/Sealants

I have never put a wax over a sealant but I often times do lay a glaze down before both waxes and sealants. The glazes I usually use are VM, RMG, FTG, and occasionally #7 for under waxes only. Never have I run into a a bonding problem with EX, EX-P, FMJ, Wolfgang, or UPP. I have tried many variations putting a sealant over a glaze and none have ever given me problems except #7, it prefers to have waxes over it. I thought the same way too until I realized some members were having great success with VM and EX-P and that Menzerna markets their own glaze to go under FMJ. About VM and RMG, they are the most versatile products around and I love them, they are as close to flawless as possible.
    Seeking Donations: Recently Diagnosed With Terminal Senioritis.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Confused about Layering Waxes/Sealants

Quote Originally Posted by C_Rock77
    What sealants will bond over wax/oils?
    When in doubt, check the manufacturer`s instructions. Most sealants need a clean surface to allow the chemicals in them to properly do their thing and "bond" to the paint surface. I am no chemist by any means, however. Something you may want to keep in mind: Are you going to be relying on the sealant`s durability factor? If so, I would highly suggest skipping the glaze. If not, give it a try, see how it works for you, and let us all know.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Thread Information