Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Steam Car Wash equipment

Wow old thread revival. My fear with exterior steam cleaning would be the amount of lubricity available to avoid scratching.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd@RUPES View Post
    Wow old thread revival. My fear with exterior steam cleaning would be the amount of lubricity available to avoid scratching.
    What about combining a waterless car wash spray with the steam? Spray panel first with waterless wash and then proceed to steam wipe the car.

Post Thanks / Like

since this was resurrected I should add that my good friend in the car club uses a steam cleaning guy who has some $10k steam machine and he gets the outside of his yellow challenger done frequently....it is marred terribly

Brandt K.
    Likes Migue liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

512detail:
    What would cause the marring, except improper drying techniques (like using an old cotton bath towel) or perhaps not having clean paint surface in the first and then wiping it dry? (when I say not having a clean paint surface, road residue from dirt or clay driveways/roads can adhere to a paint surface and require physical agitation with a wash media (sponge/chenille pad/boar`s hair brush) to remove... just saying)
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Marring can also be caused during the wash process itself such as using unsafe washing media and not flushing the paint thoroughly throughout the washing process
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    512detail:
    What would cause the marring, except improper drying techniques (like using an old cotton bath towel) or perhaps not having clean paint surface in the first and then wiping it dry? (when I say not having a clean paint surface, road residue from dirt or clay driveways/roads can adhere to a paint surface and require physical agitation with a wash media (sponge/chenille pad/boar`s hair brush) to remove... just saying)
    I`m guessing its from the towels he uses and method to dry the steam residue or whatever it leaves. I`ve never seen him use it but I have seen the damage it has left. Now granted I`m sure the owner inflicts his own fair share of marring with QD`s etc, but I am constantly giving him good quality micros which I find tossed into the same pile as his nasty towels.

I personally don`t think steam cleaning offers enough lubrication on the drying side much less on the wash side- from my knowledge of how the process works it involves the user cleaning the vehicle essentially the same way as you`d steam an interior with a cotton towel over the steam device head. He said he just kind of brushes the car with his steam tool.

I`m sure if you used multiple towels (like 20 for a car) it may be safer but I`m guessing they don`t do that.

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

He needs a good drying aid to add lubrication along with the good towels.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    He needs a good drying aid to add lubrication along with the good towels.
    I have given him a gallon of Uber at QD and 1/2 gallon of Mckees vinyl cleaner spray for his matte black painted hood/roof

can`t make him use it though

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

You shouldn`t even need to dry the panels if it is dry steam, it just evaporates instantly.

I`m guessing that the guy with the steamer is using bad technique. Dry steam should be able to blast off pretty much anything that`s on the paint, but the nozzles tend to produce a narrow steam pattern that cleans effectively -- if he follows the nozzle closely with a microfiber towel to catch any contaminants, the edges on either side will likely be outside the steam pattern and just grind dirt into the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ll start by admitting I have not used steam to clean a vehicle. (interior or exterior). With that out of the way I have a few "concerns / issues" with using steam to clean especially the exterior of a vehicle.

• Steam is hotter than most waxes can handle thus it would automatically remove wax protection. Now a sealant might withstand steam but I would guess it would be broken down much more quickly than normal. Now coatings on the other hand should make this a much safe and long term option. But I still worry about the dry steam.

• Dry steam creates and has almost zero lubrication. Thus the risk of marring while even during the washing process is exponentially increased. So now you have to have the best ultra premium towels that are perfectly clean at all times. And that might not be enough.

• These exterior steam cleaners are large and most are gas or diesel and would take up a large foot print and also need fuel all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

i didnt click the link due to IP address lol
    so was this the Optima steamer? or the Fortador steamer?

theres a couple non diesel electric only steamer wash systems, but I dont think they`d have enough volume to steam wash a car in a timely manner...but atleast they`re at an affordable 1500 and 2400

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information