Post Thanks / Like

Urine-Soaked Leather Seats

Unfortunately, as people age, they begin to have incontinence problems. Recently, a family member lost control of his bladder in my car, soaking the leather seat.

I cleaned the seat with 303 Aerospace Cleaner and used 303 Aerospace conditioner.

The smell remained, so the next day I repeated the process, only I soaked the seat in Aerospace Cleaner and let it sit, then wiped off the excess. I followed through with the conditioner.

The results are better, but there is still a trace smell of urine in the car. Oh, I also cleaned behind the seat, and as far down into the cushion (between seat and seatback) as I could reach. I also cleaned the carpet underneath.

What should I do next?

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Urine-Soaked Leather Seats

Are the seats leather or cloth?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSRstilez
    Are the seats leather or cloth?
    He says leather.

You might have to pull the leather off and get to the foam under it. Chances are good that the foam is soaked as well.

Post Thanks / Like

yeah its def the foam. maybe you can try a pet remedy like natures miracle. just soak the crap out of the foam and let the stuff evaporate. it works with dog urine and that stuff is very acidic.

Post Thanks / Like

Here`s a link for removing pet urine odors. Something might work but I`ve never tried any of these. Exercise due caution with your leather.

http://www.stretcher.com/stories/00/000124b.cfm
    Fasten Your Seat Belt! It helps keep the aliens from sucking you out of the car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dalmore
    Here`s a link for removing pet urine odors. Something might work but I`ve never tried any of these. Exercise due caution with your leather.

http://www.stretcher.com/stories/00/000124b.cfm
    Good idea, Dalmore.

What if I just use Febreze?

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

febreeze wont do it. The reason that pet odor removers are so effective is that they have enzymes in them that remove the odor. It`ll come back of you use febreeze. My old roomates dog would piss everywhere and natures miracle was the only thing that worked.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crobinso
    Good idea, Dalmore.

What if I just use Febreze?

Charles
    Febreze is something that will only mask the scent. You need to attack it and break down those enzymes. soak the seat cushion with an enzyme product to remove the odor. Enzyme products "eat" away at the urine residue eliminating the bacteria that causes stains and odors. The pet products mentioned should work fine , you might have to do a second treatment . Good luck
    Good things are not cheap, and cheap things are seldom good !

Post Thanks / Like

I have the entire odor fogger system from Top Of The Line. I did a food smell on a car about a week ago and the smell never came back. Try this- http://www.topoftheline.com/32ozunduzit.html Then this- http://www.topoftheline.com/32nozspacspr.html Then this- http://www.topoftheline.com/badodorblocks.html

With a syringe (local pharmacy), inject the unduzit into the padding in the sitching areas, use a lot. Take a spray bottle and spray it under the seat and up into the bottom of the padding. Then repeat the same procedure with the leather scent. Finally leave a bad odor block under the seat.
    Teflon is for frying pans.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Try to neutralise the urine on the leather ASAP, water won`t damage leather that`s how its dyed in a tannery.

Urine-
    Is an organic stain and should be removed with an enzyme type cleaner as soon as possible, it contains Uric acid that is generally considered corrosive, it should be neutralised with an alkaline as soon as feasible as acid will discolour (chemically bleach) and/or stain the surface. Once the stain has been removed the area should also be treated with a disinfectant. Do not use plain water; "Always add the acid to the water – never add water to the acid" Take all necessary precautions when dealing with bodily fluids (latex cloves, and etc) and when disposing of stained items.
    Methodology
    •Thoroughly rinse area with a solution of baking powder / distilled water)
    •Remove mats and remove any residue and then clean with a carpet extractor. Once the mats are cleaned rinse them with a disinfectant (Lysol®) especially the backs
    •Remove any stains with 303™ Spot Remover & Cleaner
    •Spot treat really bad stains (303TM Cleaner & Spot Remover or Woolite® Heavy Traffic Carpet Foam)
    •Use a pre-cleaner solution; quarter (0.25) cup Protein Stain Remover (topoftheline.com) / 1-cup 303™ Cleaner & Spot Remover / one gallon hot water let dwell for 5-10 minutes to enable cleaners to react
    •After sufficient dwell time agitate pre cleaner solution with an upholstery brush to ‘scrub’ surfaces
    •Use a rubber bristle brush go over the material to raise the fibres
    •The next step would be to use its high-volume vacuum or an extractor to remove the excess moisture and residue.
    •Lightly spray area with a disinfectant (Lysol®)
    •Allow carpets / mats to thoroughly dry before use
    •Once fabric is dry apply a fabric protection (303TM High Tech Fabric Guard)

~Hope this helps~
    JonM
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like

~Hope this helps~
    JonM

Lord yes, I should say so! Whew! I need a medical degree to follow those procedures. LOL But I dare say, that should do the trick!

Thanks Jon (and thank everyone for some wonderful advice),

Charles

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I should have taken out some of the precautions but I wanted you to get it ASAP. Let us all know how the thing worked out
    JonM
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Thread Information