PDA

View Full Version : I told my wife what to get me for my birthday!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Panalu
09-30-2001, 10:51 PM
I have a 3 week old black 4runner. Several weeks ago, I washed the truck - it looked worse after I washed it; waterspots everywhere. I went to my local Track Auto and bought a can of Turtle wax thinking that I could wax off the waterspots. Needless to say, it just waxed right over the water spots. I was regretting buying a black truck.

I stumbled on this board and I started reading. Here`s what I did...

1. Washed with Meguires Gold soap

2. Wiped the truck down with distilled vinegar (read that it would remove waterspots)

3. Washed with Meguires Gold

4. Washed with Meguires Gold again to get the vinegar smell off :-)

5. California Waterblade and leather chamois to dry

6. Pinnacle Paint Cleansing Lotion (Pinnacle Micro Fiber)

7. Klasse AIO (Applicator / Pinnacle Micro Fiber)

8. Second layer of AIO

9. Klasse SG (waited an hour - Applicator / Pinnacle Micro Fiber)

10. Applied a second coat of Klasse SG after waiting 6 hours (didn`t have the patience to wait a whole day). I applied the second coat in my garage at 11:00 pm. The lighting wasn`t that great and the next day, I could see that I didn`t get all the second coat of SG off. I tried to buff it off but it was impossible - I felt like I was scratching the paint / clear coat. Went to Kmart and bought Meguires QD. The SG that was still on the paint came off like butter.

All I can say is.... WOW! I was going to top it off with Blitz but I kinda like the mirror finish. Thanks for all the info. This is a great board!

BTW, I also bought a gallon of Clear Pearl, Pinnacle Crystal Mist, 3M Swirl Remover, 3M Polish (more abrasive than SMR but can`t remember the name, Blitz, EF High Intensity cleaner, EF Black Opal, and some other misc stuff that I haven`t even had a chance to use yet :-)

Here`s a photo - didn`t have the right angle but the shine is nothing short of amazing!

Linklight

JasonC8301
09-30-2001, 10:56 PM
Just keep layering on the SG. You`ll be more than happy after 5 coats. The just sit back and enjoy. If you want to experiment then try the Blitz. It will make it deeper and add more warmth.

But since you like the mirror shine, just keep adding SG.

Again Great Job! :up :) :cool:

Jason

imported_killerjg
09-30-2001, 11:02 PM
Once the Blitz goes on no more SG? Would that be a correct statement.

Removing the Blitz, have seen the Dawn comments, but does the AIO do this as well?

Band of Brothers coming on, must run!

Thanks.

JasonC8301
09-30-2001, 11:06 PM
Yes, Once Blitz no more SG without dawning off the Blitz.

AIO will remove the Blitz and SG, so you would start with just AIO because it cleaned off all the Blitz and SG and you would have to re-do the SG.

rmccall6
09-30-2001, 11:10 PM
First, you cant really layer AIO, it contains cleaner polishes that will remove itself, yes multiple aplications of it will polish the paint more, but i find that 1 app is suficient. Also, you dint need to use the Pinnicle cleansing lotion before hand because the AIO cleans and polishes nicely. Wont realy improve the results to much. Just trying to cut down on your steps so you can take more time on fewer steps. Once you put blitz on, you cant layer on more SG. When you are ready to start over, just use AIO, which will thouroughly clean the old wax and layers of SG off of your paint. Wouldnt recomend using Dawn to strip wax. It will eventually weaken the plasticizers in the paint (did i get it right RonK?) As far as he mirrior finish, blitz doesnt detract from it. Just makes it deeper, and more liquid. Highly recomend topping the klasse of with a good wax, p21s, bliyz, pinacle, ect. Really makes the finish extra special. But its completey up to you. Nice ipic:up

imported_killerjg
10-01-2001, 12:36 AM
Getting ready to place my order. Another question has come up: Will Pinnacle Mist and EF Clear Pearl products cause problems between layers of SG? Are they close enough to full wax products?

Jason are you a by hand or orbital buffer?

YoSteve
10-01-2001, 08:11 AM
Unless your an infinity SG`er, figure the only time you`d take of the carnuba would be the only time you`d strip the Klasse (most times you`d just be adding the carnuba, since the SG stays put). If you think in this sense (make sure you have 3-5 in of SG) then Carnuba away. (Blitz and Pinnacle all the way)

that thing about the wife, now that`s cool.

Q: Is PPC the only product we have to replace Dawn? (AIO takes off wax too)

those of you wondering if it makes a difference on a silver car, it does; it gives it that extra pop that just says wow (and it gives you something to do to on a perfect car already :)).

Nice pic linklight

drmcetta
10-01-2001, 08:25 AM
Likecars,

you should not use carnauba QD between layers of SG...because the carnauba may disrupt the bonding and curing process of the next layer..IMO it`s better to use non carnauba QD between layers of SG and use the carnauba QDs after you are not planning to add more SG

carnauba QDs is also useful in maintaining the blitz or souveran or other carnauba wax topper :)

imported_killerjg
10-01-2001, 11:08 AM
Sounds good. I`ll have to check I believe Eagle`s doesn`t advertise Carnuba.

I have seen some old posts on buffers. I`d be interested in current thoughts for any takers. I picked up a 20.00 orbital from Wal-Mart. First time I have used a buffer of any sort, but with three cars it has become a challenge to give all the hand care I`ve always done.

I usually have no problem dropping bucks on a good product, but can`t see laying out 200 for a fancy buffer. The one I picked up put the wax on, buffed it off, then I followed with a MF towel. I want to get some MF bonnets to try those and a quality terry bonnet for initial removal. I was pleased with the time it took and the results. Getting ready to give the Klasse system a shot.

Would like to use a similar system for the Klasse product. Yeah or Nay?

Thanks

BradE
10-01-2001, 11:27 AM
If you are going to use a polisher to apply Klasse, you should use a foam pad to do it. Otherwise you are going to be applying way too much product and it maybe a PIA to remove if you put too much on.

As far as the price of the polisher, some of the cheap ones are O.K. for normal use. Many here prefer the PC. And then there are rotary buffers which are very good at bring damaged paint back to life. Rotarys produce heat that help with the polishes, but they can also cause bad damage if you don`t know how to use one.

imported_killerjg
10-01-2001, 01:08 PM
Sounds good, foam pad on , MF bonnet to remove?

Still catching up with the acronyms: PIA?

YoSteve
10-01-2001, 01:11 PM
pain in the apple? ;)

(good use of the word acronym, BTW)

(bye the way) :D

BradE
10-01-2001, 01:18 PM
You could use a MF bonnet to remove it if you have one. You can spray it with water or a non-caranuba based QD to aid in removal.

PIA? Pain in the _____ ;)

imported_killerjg
10-01-2001, 01:53 PM
Got it, my focus was on car stuff, lol. Should have realized!

JasonC8301
10-01-2001, 07:03 PM
I use both a polisher and hand. I love to wax by hand. Can`t beat a hand job, a wax job I mean.

As for the polisher, I use the Porter Cable 7424 dual action polisher. A very nice light weight machine.

Now, I am hoping for a rotary soon. I will probably get to use one if I ever go apply to a dealerhsip for a part time detail job.

Jason